Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Daniel Young

Long-Term Arthritis from ACCUTANE?

Howdy folks!

My name is Daniel, and I took one treatment of Accutane when I was about 14 or so, which would've been 8 years ago.

I didn't have much in the way of joint pain during the Accutane treatment, although I sure did have all the dryness, cracked/bleeding skin, and my acne got worse during treatment.

When the treatment ended, my acne cleared up a little bit, and then the joint pain began.

First, in my wrists - I play guitar, and my wrists would literally lock up - motion in both wrists was extremely restricted and painful. Sometimes one wrist alone would 'flare up', sometimes both would at the same time.

The pain would be continous for about a week before it would feel and move normal again. My wrists never swelled, but they would get very red and hot.

After going to many different doctors and getting endless x-rays, bonescans, and blood tests, the doctors couldn't figure it out. They basically told me that yes, they could see some intense inflammation in my wrists, but they couldn't determine a cause.

Over the years, my wrists have improved, with fewer flare-ups... but unfortunately the condition showed up in my hips, and my hips are very painful most days. Some evenings after walking a lot at work, I can hardly walk at all.

Ibuproferen helps me to function. But I am only 22 and I feel like I'm 85!

My question is this - have any other former Accutane patients had symptoms like this?

Thanks

-Dan

I have experienced this during treatment but not continuing afterwards. Have you tried fish oil supplements? They have natural anti-inflammatory properties and have been shown to help pain from arthritis. I took them during my last course and as long as i took them there was no pain - if i stopped it returned.

I have experienced this during treatment but not continuing afterwards. Have you tried fish oil supplements? They have natural anti-inflammatory properties and have been shown to help pain from arthritis. I took them during my last course and as long as i took them there was no pain - if i stopped it returned.

haven't tried fish oil... the only thing that helps the pain is about 1000mg of Ibuproferen...

but i will check it out!

and to anybody who is looking at Accutane as a possible treatment - it may work for some, but it certainly DID NOTHING for my acne, and i fear it may have left me permanently injured.

Definitely try the fish oil - start out a pretty high dose, say one or two with each meal. It should at least ease the discomfort within a couple weeks. If it works, then you can back down the dosage until you find where you are most comfortable. Oh, and get the "odorless" kind with the enteric coating - it prevents fishy burps which are just nasty.

Out of curiosity, how bad was your acne to start with? This is the sort of story that i seem to hear a lot from people who's acne wasn't too bad. I'm really sorry to hear that it didn't help your acne - to have gone through all that and not even got the positive benefits is just heartbreaking. Normally i'd say to give a second course a try, but not with your history. Have you tried topical retinoids since the Accutane course?

sux but you may have to stop playing.

i hurt my back and had to stop playing football. i thought it was the end of the world. now i wonder why i ever bothered with such a useless sport.

my hobby and passion is chess.