Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Michelle912

new here- questions about Evoclin/topical clindamycin

Hi everyone!

This is my first post, though I've been lurking around for a month or so. I'm 22 yo and have mild acne- 1-3 active cysts at a time (3 is a bad day), lots of blackheads all over the place, some whiteheads, huge pores, and lots of post-inflammatory red marks that really stand out on my fair skin. I had moderate acne when I was 16 that was cleared up with retin A micro- boy I wish I had this board then for all the support.

Anyway, my skin was pretty good for a year after I stopped retin A, then I used proactiv still had pretty good skin. In the past year or so it has gotten worse, though nowhere near where it was when I was 16. Finally I went to the derm again, expecting to get retin A again, and he prescribed Evoclin (topical clindamycin foam) for daytime, neutrogena oil free (2.5% SA) wash, and Benzaclin for spot treatments at night. I have read a lot on these boards about acne coming back with antibiotics- has this been everyones experience with topicals? Also should I expect and initial breakout? I have had enough bio classes to be wary of taking antibiotics on a long term basis and I don't think I would have been willing to do pills- this would be a lower, more targeted dose though right?

Michelle

I've only heard negative things about antibiotics, in august I'm stepping down to half my normal dosage. I don't know why I was perscribed this. I guess they are effective at battling everything that's active, but after awhile you are left with more bad bacteria then good. I need a solution that's not trying to kill me. I think I may start the CSR in the evening and apply the evoclin in the morning.

As a topical, I doubt it will damage your liver, but I think it may be weakening my skin... No idea though.