Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
iheartny

Does the regimen eventually become futile?

I've had amazing results with the CSR so far (3 days in) but some people on the boards say that you have to take "breaks." Is this true for everyone? It kind of sounds like what people say about Proactiv- how it is really useful at first but then after 4-5 months acne comes back. Can the bacteria really become immune to something (The BP) or is this just another acne myth???

And also, the BP I'm using is the 2.5% proactiv one, so I don't know if that makes a difference (it's improving my skin so far)

Bacteria cannot become immune to bp because bp is not an antibiotic and doesn't destroy bacteria in the same way. It just releases oxygen to kill the bacteria, which are probably anaerobic.

That is the advantage of bp over antibiotics. I really don't think you have to take a break on the CSR. Some people probably do because the old acne marks stay longer while using bp and taking a break helps them to heal faster. An AHA mositurizer would take care of that problem.

I have been pretty much clear since I started the CSR a month ago with just one or two pimples popping up every now and then. However, I have old acne spots that are fading away but are still visible. At any rate, I'm happy with the results so far.:D

I have been pretty much clear since I started the CSR a month ago with just one or two pimples popping up every now and then. However, I have old acne spots that are fading away but are still visible. At any rate, I'm happy with the results so far.:D

Yeah BP is something your skin cannot get immune to, your skin can certainly get used to is, i mean the drying and pealing effects, but in terms of killing bacteria and stopping acne BP will always work.

Yeah, as long as you're following the regimen as religiously as when you first started, you won't get any problems. Thats why it may appear that the regimen has stopped. In reality, it takes 8-12 weeks for a head to show. So someone may accidentally miss like 3-4 applications over a span of a week and then in the following week or weeks they say, "hey, i wasn't following it that strictly and i'm still clear, maybe its not a big deal anymore" and then they start to slack off even more and then 8-12 weeks down the line, they start to break out and they will continue to break out for the same amount of weeks that they slacked off. So it will take 8-12 weeks again to get back to where you wanna be. So basically.. just follow it strictly forever, don't fix it if it ain't broke and if it ain't broke, don't break it.

I only reason I could see why the regimen would "stop" working for people is because they start to clear up then they get so lazy in application. Maybe this means not as much BP or applying too fast or just not being so gentle. Alll of these factors could contribute to bp "not working"