Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I am honestly at the end of my ropes and feel extremely hopeless. My skin is soo bad that it hurts me to look in the mirror. I remember this all just started with one cyst a few months ago and has now officially plagued my face. Bloody and painful cysts, scars, pimples, red marks, and disfiguring bumps are destroying my face and neck - why can't it just go away? I have severe cystic acne and I have tried chinese herbs, birth control, antibiotics, proactive and i know the next and final step is accutane but i am just too scared to take it. I did research on accutane and found that it was used to treat cancer. Is it necessary to use a cancer drug to treat acne? This depresses me even more. I have read all of the long term effects of accutane and I would seriously regret taking accutane if i would experience severe side effects from it. I don't know what to do anymore. I can't just sit around and do nothing but cry everyday. Im getting sick of crying and feeling this way. I feel like i have hit rock bottom. I don't want to leave the house. I need to wear tons of makeup to go on with my day because its liek my security blanket. I cant tie my hair up because i get self conscious. I feel like I'm a prisoner in my body and i just wanna be set free. I'm frustrating all the peopel arround me and I dont even think people wanna be around me anymore because I get paranoid and sad easily. I reallly wish this plague/disease would leave me. It has caused too much damage in such a short time. I fear that if my acne gets worse I will have a mental breakdown and lose myself. I pray that one day soon my acne will release me from its torment and that I will be able to go out carefree and finally 'be myself' with no strings attaches - no makeup, no hair down, no paranoia, no depression. Acne is such a debilitating disease - both mentally and physically- and I'm fed up with the derms and docs that don't care about us. They look at us for a minute, give us a perscription and out we go.

I just want to be me again....

You're scared to take accutane? Why? What have you read about it that makes you not want to take it? Those horrible side effects can happen, sure, but they are blown wayyy out of proportion. Ive taken accutane when I was about 15 I think, and the worst Ive gotten from it was really bad chapped lips and the occasional nose bleed. Keep in mind if you do use Accutane, you cant stop anytime you want. So why not at least TRY?

I say take it. Accutane does frickin wonders. Check these links out. They are some people on this board who have seen progress with accutane.

Link 1

Link 2

Link 3

I wish you the best.

it doesnt mean anything that it was used to treat cancer, which ive never heard before so I doubt it widespread. Alot of drugs have dual uses.

It doesnt make acne=cancer, thats stupid.

and if you've tried everything else and youre desperate enough (even though accutane isnt the big deal some make it out to be) THAN USE IT!

I would use it, but I think my case is too mild, and my skins already dry enough, and I dont want to sacrifice my ability to tan.

Guest tvirus_outbreak

Try Proactiv, seriously.

Die you monster.

Try Proactiv, seriously.

Die you monster.

Agree. Proactiv may be the worse acne treatment ever created in the history of the universe. You'd be better off using a piece of sandpaper soaked in baby oil.

:ninja:

Guest tvirus_outbreak

Agree. Proactiv may be the worse acne treatment ever created in the history of the universe. You'd be better off using a piece of sandpaper soaked in baby oil.

:lol:

thnx for the support guys.... iv already tried proactive.... worst.product.ever! (for me anyway)... as for the accutane info i heard...heres the links

http://max001.proboards42.com

http://www.xsorbit1.com/users/davec//index.cgi

it just scares me that there are so many long term side effects.... check it out...

oo and i never ever said acne = cancer, nor do i think that acne = cancer ...

i think that cancer is one of the most devastating diseases in the world and it takes very powerful drugs to kill it (or to try to kill it since cancer is very hard to get rid of)... i heard that accutane was used as a chemotherapy agent against cancer and it shocks me that such a strong drug is needed to treat acne... i consider cancer to be a much more serious concern than acne and i dont think it is good for a drug that powerful to be ingested by healthy bodies withoiut seroius consequences.. i am not against accutane, i am merely scared of it

Nah i stopped using acne treatment and guess what my skin became smooth! Although the scars and marks arent going away for like 2 years but having smooth skin is pretty cool..

Natalie. beautiful name. It will go away soon. I promise. We all have been through such time when acne just doesnt leave one square centimeter of clear skin.

It will go away. I know. Cheer up :)

thank you *hug

Nah i stopped using acne treatment and guess what my skin became smooth! Although the scars and marks arent going away for like 2 years but having smooth skin is pretty cool..

Natalie. beautiful name. It will go away soon. I promise. We all have been through such time when acne just doesnt leave one square centimeter of clear skin.

It will go away. I know. Cheer up :)

how long is a ''few months''?

you know, accutane is a wonder drug i wish i had been able to get it, but these days the derms give it out like candy! so really think about it and research it...

i started getttin cystic acne a few months ago = 11 months ago ... almost a yr ago... so its acutally more than a "few a months ago" :redface: .. its been very severe for about 7 months now and its been getting progressively worse :(

i have been doig alot of research about accutane... some say its a miracle drug and some say its a terrible drug due to side effects and how it affects the body...

Do it before you end up getting bad scars - acne isnt cancer but its 'cancer of the brain' in terms of how it fcks you up so be brave and think positivly while your on it and toucj wood you will be fine.

Your closely monitered while your on it too and the derm will look after you.

Just imagine if your here like me 4-5 years later and in the same position - i put it off for too long and suffered because of it - ive just stared now and its going to be oj.

good luck

Millions of people have taken accutane. If it was half as bad as some people and organizations made it out to be it would not be on the market.

This decision will ultimately come down to how badly you want to be clear and your willingness to take a small risk. Research, reassurance, warnings, they aren't going to do you any good, they'll just give you headaches.

I've been on tane for 2/1 months with only chapped lips and dry nose as side effects. Im clearing nicely.

Natalie

Since your acne is active I dont think that you understand how difficult is is to reverse scars.

I have read alot more positive things on this site than negative regarding Accutane.

Accutane seems to be one of the only things that helps cystic acne. The other thing that you might consider are cortisone injections for your cysts and nodules I think.

I regret not acting faster or finding out more info regarding dealing with my Acne. Unfortunately every cyst or nodule will leave some kind of mark. I would get yourself to a dermatologist as soon as you can but dont rely completely on doctors keep on learning as much as you can about acne.

Another website you can try is the american academy of dermatology and search under acne.

Best of luck

I have been to the derm but they just look at me from far away for 2 seconds and perscribe something. I'm sick of taking pills. The doc doesnt even examine my acne or ask questions - i hate derms! and you have to book an appt 3 months in advance... and he always makes me feel like shit about myself.. i usually leave the office crying and he talks to me like im an idiot

you say you would regret taking accutane but you may regret it more if you dont take it. I mean your at the end of your tether and its ruining your life anyway, plus you could end up with loads of scars which you would regret when you are older. Accutane is not as bad as people make out, you say your derm gave you other pills? these will all have side effects too and you will have to tkae them for ages. I took minocin for a year and a half and seriously it would have been easier and probably better for me to take roaccutane for the 4 month course. On roaccutane the derm monitors your progress and makes you have blood tests anyway so if anything does change or goes wrong they would know.

I have been to the derm but they just look at me from far away for 2 seconds and perscribe something. I'm sick of taking pills. The doc doesnt even examine my acne or ask questions - i hate derms! and you have to book an appt 3 months in advance... and he always makes me feel like shit about myself.. i usually leave the office crying and he talks to me like im an idiot

Natalie

There must be some dermatologist in your area that cares. may be you can ask on the board if anyone has had good experience with a dermatologist in your area.

May be get the phone book or the web and start calling dermatologists and ask the receptionist if they specialize in acne treatment. Ask questions till you find someone that sounds good.

If that doesnt work have your parents call their doctor and get a recommendation.

Hope this helps

tell you what.

why dont you go find a new derm and specifically ask him/her to talk to you bout the benifits and side effects of accutane. I kinda know what your going through, and im gonna try and start a course of accutane asap as soon as i get off these antibiotics, i feel like its the last hope.

I never had any experience with the drug but i doubt its as bad as ppl make it out to be. Like for example pick up a packet of asprin or cold medicine and read the side effects, there are prob loads but they are very rare, same with accutane i guess.

my advice is to talk it through with a good friendly derm, he can give better advice that me for sure.

I wish you best of luck and loads of happiness :) remember dont get yourself down, there are other ppl to do that for you, stay positive :)

natalie- i think you are right with being scared of accutane. i checked out the links you included in your first post and have read what is written on the messageboards, and i have read some other stuff about accutane as well. i think people on this page often underestimate what accutane can do- it's not the side effects you have while taking accutane that matter. it's what comes after it- accutane is a drug, it's not something you can take and be perfectly healthy after. it will have a negative effect on you, no matter what, and it's going to be long- term. i'm not telling anybody to not take accutane- i know the extreme negative impact acne can have on a person, after all, i have it myself, and i know that there are really bad cases of acne. i often thought "if only i would go and get accutane, then my acne would vanish and my life would be perfect"- but slowly, i realized that i would possibly live without acne- but have other, worse things instead. i know my body wants to tell me something with my acne- i know that i have acne because i'm not okay deep down, and not the other way round. i don't want to use drugs to keep my soul from showing me something is not right- if i don't give it the chance to show it through acne and my face, i will get something worse eventually. in my best friend's case, it was cancer. it is much easier to deal with my acne nowadays, because while i have days when i would give anything to not have to go outside, i see how much my skin is influenced by how i am feeling inside.

hmm. writing this was really difficult because english is not my native language and i only learn it at school. i hope i didn't confuse you too much and you don't think i'm a nutcase...

Try Proactiv, seriously.

Die you monster.

LOL. you guys are amazing.

in response to your first post: i feel the same way...about everything really, but ESPECIALLY the putting your hair up. my neck is so smooth and compared to my face it just looks like im diseased. sucks for you and me cause we really should keep our hair off our caked up made over faces. i bet we have alot in common. i know alot of people on this board are depressed about their acne (myself included), but when i read your entry it was like it came straight out of my diary. i wont give up if you dont.

in response to your first post: i feel the same way...about everything really, but ESPECIALLY the putting your hair up. my neck is so smooth and compared to my face it just looks like im diseased. sucks for you and me cause we really should keep our hair off our caked up made over faces. i bet we have alot in common. i know alot of people on this board are depressed about their acne (myself included), but when i read your entry it was like it came straight out of my diary. i wont give up if you dont.

thnx for the reply... its hard but well get through it somehow... stay positive.. iv been tryin to be positive lately.. telling myself this is a phase and it will end... i know im a strong girl deep down inside and im sure you are too... we just gotta let our strength shine through this terrible insecurity

omg.i can so relate to you.everything that you typed about your feelings depicts clearly mine too.all those insecurities..but i dont put on makeup cos i dunno how to.anw i suggest you try for some antibiotics that are not as strong as accutane?

hmm try to tie up your hair sometimes so that the face wont get dirty.i get all self-concious tying up my hair too cos all my scars will be exposed.but then i have no choice.i even use a hairband all the time to keep all my hair from touching my face.

anw do u use msn?perhaps we can chat sometimes on msn.i can relate so much to you.life sux with acne but we gonna be strong.i tell myself to be strong but yet i cry and isolate myself sometimes.cheers.