Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

what are some tricks you all use in order to keep yourselves from sitting in front of the mirror and picking and sqeezing at your face? i make so many breakouts on my face that probably wouldn't have been there before, had i not examined every pore and squeezed at my face. i notice i especially do this when i'm upset about something. when i'm picking i'm thinking in my mind that i know it's bad but i just can't stop!!! any advice?

I enjoy picking and thinks it heals pimples faster. :)

maybe popping once in awhile makes a pimple heal faster, but i'm not talking about that kind of picking-- i sometimes sit myself in front of a mirror and examine every single pore, even if there's no breakout or pimple there, and squeeze stuff out of each one, which swells my face up and creates tons of breakouts that would never have been there in the first place. that definitely doesn't help my face heal faster.

I do the same thing, colorcoded, and it's awful! And I haven't really found a good solution. The worst part is when there's just a tiny whitehead or a clogged pore that would go away easily on its own, and I squeeze it and it becomes a giant infected death-monster, and then I get really depressed and mad at myself. So one thing I do is think about how depressed and mad I'll be if I pick... but often that's not enough...

Earlier this year, I chose a reward for myself (something fairly cheap that I'd been meaning to buy for a while but couldn't justify shelling out cash for) and told myself that if I didn't pick for a whole week, I'd congratulate myself by buying the reward. I didn't end up making it a week, but I did make it 5 days, which was a huge improvement. I don't know how long your nails are, but I've found that if I keep my nails very short, it's a bit harder to pick, so that might help a little. There was also a nice thread here that was a no-picking challenge: you could post if you wanted to go 48 hours (I think) without picking, and it was nice since a lot of people were doing it. In fact, I think I'm going to start a 48-hour no-picking challenge myself right now, if anyone wants to join me :)

I've always had the same problem too... I think having a messed up face to begin with makes you want to squeeze out all your imperfections in the hopes of making it better.

What I've been doing (with some success) is standing back from the mirror and finding a smooth spot on my face and running a finger over it. It reminds me what smooth, blemish-free skin feels like and why it's worth it to not pick. Also, sometimes when I get bad about it I just cut my nails short enough that I couldn't pick even if I wanted to without seriously damaging my face... my nails grow insanely fast though so sometimes that doesn't fix it. Ironically, I used to bite my nails until they bled, and I got over that one the same way... reminding myself how much better non-bitten nails look, and that they don't hurt, or bleed, or get hangnails, and people don't make comments about them. It's the same kind of struggle with my face, so If I could stop biting I can stop picking!

Just try to pull yourself away from the mirror and keep reminding yourself not to take your eyes off the prize!

when i pick i use a pin it tends to work some times and get rid of the puss

what do you guys think?

When it's done correctly and you're sure you've gotten all the puss out but no blood comes out, it can help. It's so hard to tell which ones can be popped and heal more quickly and which ones will just make more trouble if they're touched, though.

oh yeah, another great trick I forgot about (along the lines of shmelis' suggestion) is: avoid mirrors whenever possible, especially those magnifying ones! and if you must look in a mirror, stand relatively far away from it and make sure there's soft lighting! the bathroom at my school had harsh, bright lights and my bathroom at home has soft, not-very-good lighting, and it's about a billion times easier to refrain from picking when I'm at home and can't see each and every pore in painful detail...

Ah yes, lighting is key to not wanting to pick. The bathrooms at my high school were HORRIBLE. If I just haddddd to use the bathroom I would always make sure to never look at the mirror. I could be having a great face day, but just one look in that mirror would devestate me. I love it whenever I go into a bathroom that has nice lighting. A tip I use every night is that in our bathroom we have two sets of lights. The ones above the sink, and then the one more towards the bathtub. I would reccomend just turing on the ones that are farther away, for sure.

Picking will end up scars, no?

I found a great way to pick. I know that it's "the evil of all skin care", but I have found some cases where picking can be very affective, if treated correctly. First, make sure that the pimple is ready to be picked. Make sure that it is dry so your fingers don't slip and cause more damage. Second, wash your hands well (especially under your nails) to prevent infection. After popping, cover the area with Neosporin to prevent scaring and infection. ***NOTE -- make sure that your skin will not break out before using Neosporin. I tried it on my skin and it works wonders, but not everyone's skin will react this way.

I like this method because a) it prevents infection, b) helps my zits heal without causing dryness or flakes in the area, c) reduces red marks and acne scars and d) makes me feel ok about picking because I'm not going to spread the infection or make it worse.

For the acne that seems deeply rooted and a large portion of skin has not been damaged during picking, a small amount of BP or drying lotion is acceptable. Beware of harsh creams that will cause burning or discoloration! If there is any question as to how the zit will react, leave it alone! The skin will heal nicely with some Neosporin and hopefully you will not have any scars.

This method has worked wonders for me. I, like most people, suffer from different types of acne that come up randomly. The key to this "clean picking" system is clean hands and lots of Neosporin. Look for the cream kind if you think the gel will break out your skin. I have never broken out because of Neosporin. It has saved my skin from lots of scarring and infection.

GOOD LUCK!

Picking will end up scars, no?

For many MANY people, yes. That's the main danger of picking. I am lucky and seem to be pretty immune to scarring on my face... I don't have any scars (I've had acne for almost 10 years) but I get red marks from old pimples (especially cysts) that slowly fade but never scar. I have one scar on my lip from an injury, but no pimple scars. The rest of my body seems to love scarring though... my elbows and knees are full of them.

I'm trying to stop myself. I FINALLY have myself convinced that it's better not to pick because I made myself stop for a week and WOW, my face looks much better. I still had acne, but no red marks and no dry spots. The dry spots are the worst because you can't cover them up...you know what I mean ladies! I find it helps if I do the following:

- hide/take down all magnifying mirrors

- put dimmer lightbulbs in the bathroom

- keep your nails short and filed

- take the time to do a fantastic makeup job - I find if my face looks good I don't want to disturb it at all so I leave my face alone.

AND

- try it for a week like I did. If you are being a harmful picker, the week off will show you how much better your skin can look and you will want to stop.

I'm trying to stop myself. I FINALLY have myself convinced that it's better not to pick because I made myself stop for a week and WOW, my face looks much better. I still had acne, but no red marks and no dry spots. The dry spots are the worst because you can't cover them up...you know what I mean ladies! I find it helps if I do the following:

- hide/take down all magnifying mirrors

- put dimmer lightbulbs in the bathroom

- keep your nails short and filed

- take the time to do a fantastic makeup job - I find if my face looks good I don't want to disturb it at all so I leave my face alone.

AND

- try it for a week like I did. If you are being a harmful picker, the week off will show you how much better your skin can look and you will want to stop.

what about whiteheads? do you just leave them alone? i find that to be the hardest thing...

i have a squeezing policy, i only squeeze/pop when:

-it has a white head

- it is a very visible black head

- if the skin on my nose has died and there are still blackheads

basically what i use is cetaphil and at the moment my skin on my nose is starting to feel, which i am happy about because i can finally take out my deep black heads, and my skin on my nose looks fresh and new. when there is a white head i have to pop it, i'd rather have a small wound that i can easily treat/disapear in a few days than have a big white thing of puss showing and waiting for a week or two for it to dissapear.

never use direct lighting. turn on hall light when in bathroom.

if your out somewhere dont look in a mirror. besides picking its bad for self esteem/self conscious (which is the reason for picking).

i used to use the needle and neosporin method. i think it left me with a few scars, although most of the time it was safe.

now that i'm on isotretinoin (accutane) my whitehead will dry up in a matter of days rather than weeks. im able to walk around with them instead of popping.

i've found that letting them dry up and fall off is VERY GOOD for the skin. i've seen a bunch of scarred pores completely close up after they got a whitehead that dried and flaked off naturally.

what are some tricks you all use in order to keep yourselves from sitting in front of the mirror and picking and sqeezing at your face? i make so many breakouts on my face that probably wouldn't have been there before, had i not examined every pore and squeezed at my face. i notice i especially do this when i'm upset about something. when i'm picking i'm thinking in my mind that i know it's bad but i just can't stop!!! any advice?

I know EXACTLY what you're talking about. And when I'm stressed or upset about something I pick too. It's almost like a way to get my frustration out lol. But in the end, I get even more frustrated because if I squeeze and nothing comes out, the next morning there will be a pimple where I squeezed or giant red mark. I hate it! I pick at stuff that no one can even see, and it's ridiculous. That's why I just try to keep myself occupied at all times, and like a poster said in another thread, turn to God whenever I'm upset or stressed and I don't think about my acne. I really don't have any visible acne. Maybe one pimple, and everyone gets that....I just make the situation worse by picking at every single clogged pore, or what I think is a clogged pore. But I can honestly say I know exactly what you're going through.

Hey guys, Im new to the boards :) I was surprised to see that many of you guys have exactly the same problem as me, in regard to picking. I always pick at my face when I'm stressed or upset even though i know it makes it worse. I find you just have to be really hard on yourself, not looking in mirrors to often helps, and as Carena said, if you stop for a few days, your face is garunteed to look better so you won't be as tempted to pick.

Picking used to be a huge problem for me. I have found, like others have mentioned, that wearing makeup really helps. It makes me more consious of when I am touching my face.

There is a 12-step program for skin picking!

http://www.stoppickingonme.com/index.php

I think it's natural to pick. Primates pick at themselves all day. If you do while you are stressed, you are doing it for a release and might want to direct your attention to the real problem. If you have a huge pimple about to blow, go for it!