Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

So, this morning I noticed that the back of my birth control has an expiration date on it: 05/06

(in case you didn't know, it is currently 07/06) ... I picked this 'batch' of pills in June.

I was at the end of my second pack for this 'batch' ... so 6 weeks on expired birth control (I only take active pills all summer, than switch back to the monthly routine in winter)

I marched down to the pharmacy (and as nicely as I could) had a little chat with the (male) pharmacist.

He was a complete jerk, and I literally had to beg to get him to replace my last pack with an unexpired one.

I know it is my own responsibility to check dates - but who would think I would have to on a *prescription*?

I am sad and frustrated... supposed to be starting accutane on Friday.

The pharamcist was completely defensive about the matter, even asking me, "what, are you afraid you're going to die or something?" (no idiot, I'm afraid of getting pregnant) ... so, I'm not entirely sure I believe him when he tells me "I have nothing to worry about, and that the actual expiration date is probably sometime about 6 years from now".

I know cases like this are the reason for double protection.... but seriously, I can't stop thinking about it.

So, any opinions? Do you guys think that the bc, even though dated with 05/06 is still at 100%? I know they wouldn't date it at the exact day of expiration, but there is still that 'worry voice' in the back of my head.

I am so worried I will be forced onto another month of iPledge....

I would much appreciate any reassurance!

Thanks,

Becca

(and as a side note, when I picked up my birth control two times ago, my regular pharmacy was out, and I needed it that day - so I transfered just this prescription to a new pharmacy. I will definitely be filling my accutane at my regular pharmacy and not this one.)

There's a reason drugs come with expiration dates. The two options are that after the expiration date, the drug loses efficacy (as is the case with b.c. I believe), or the drug increases in potency to dangerous levels (like the tetracycline antibiotics). What a jerk... he's a pharmacist and should know that.

Two months past the expiration date? Probably not a real danger either way, but better safe than sorry... It really all depends on the drug. You can call the manufacturer and ask which way the drug goes and make your decision based on that. If you're going to take them, I'd suggest being really meticulous about taking them at exactly the same time every day and doing all the other important stuff.

Edit: Changed my mind... He's not a jerk, he's an UNETHICAL pharmacist...

The #1 concern regarding tane is always PREGNANCY in my opinion, if you have to kill people to get in date reliable certified birth control measures (or use protection?!) then do so. The consequences of taking risks regarding this matter are very serious.

Im sure if you wanted you could report this pharmacist as it is a serious offence to give misinformation about drugs, or to promote use of drugs which have expired and are no longer guaranteed by the manufacturer as a result. DONT RISK IT for gods sake! go and live in a cave for six months if you have to.

You might make the decision to risk it if you could handle an unplanned pregnancy, but while on or preparing for Accutane is absolutely not the time to take such a risk. I'd submit a formal complaint about that pharmacist and never go back there again. Get a new pack even if you have to pay out of pocket, and document that expense in your letter, with a little luck the company might reimburse you.

You might make the decision to risk it if you could handle an unplanned pregnancy, but while on or preparing for Accutane is absolutely not the time to take such a risk. I'd submit a formal complaint about that pharmacist and never go back there again. Get a new pack even if you have to pay out of pocket, and document that expense in your letter, with a little luck the company might reimburse you.

Agreed 100%. What he did was just SICK and shows he is either 1) improperly trained and needs re-certification or 2) a *insert name of choice* that doesn't care about anything except getting paid. Either way he should be fired.

The #1 concern regarding tane is always PREGNANCY in my opinion, if you have to kill people to get in date reliable certified birth control measures (or use protection?!) then do so. The consequences of taking risks regarding this matter are very serious.

Im sure if you wanted you could report this pharmacist as it is a serious offence to give misinformation about drugs, or to promote use of drugs which have expired and are no longer guaranteed by the manufacturer as a result. DONT RISK IT for gods sake! go and live in a cave for six months if you have to.

I'm sorry, I'm not quite sure what you mean about living in a cave for six months??

We have been using condoms and spermicide with the birth control for the past 5 weeks...

And the pills were only dated two months old, kwim? Its not like they were dated 2 years old. I am going to try and call the manufacturer tomorrow and see what they can tell me about the dating.

I refused to leave the pharmacy until he replaced my birth control for free. (and, he was out of generic birth control, so I made him give me the name brand stuff). There was a woman assistant working, and she was incredibly apologetic about it, and reassured me that I had every right to be angry. ...why don't some guys get it?

As far as 'risking it' - I would never leave getting pregnant on accutane to 'chance'. But, given that we've been using condoms and spermicide as well... If I can get the reassurance of the manufacturer, or another pharmacist that I trust, that the dating on birth control truly is a shelf life and not an expiration date - then I would be completely comfortable with it.

I was just wondering if others had any experience with this. (or knowledge as to dating: shelf life vs. expiration)

I will be writing a letter - I just have to figure out to whom it is getting addressed - I have a bit more research to do on that one.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts.

~Becca