Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bob Smith

Who can perscribe accutane?

Who can perscribe accutane? I am going to see a regular doctor tomorrow, a pediatrician (i just realized it makes almost no sense for a 17-year-old to see a kids doctor but). My mom told me the pediatrician might be able to perscribe accutane. Is this true or do I need to schedule an appointment with my derma?

thx,

bob

I got it from my normal doctor, but my old normal doctor said no.

You may be forced to go derm...

yea i remember my derma wanted to give me tane from the get go, or shortly after

i tried to stick with bp, but i still get cysts on my cheek and back.

thx for the info,

bob

its a pretty tricky subject in UK, apparrently GPs can prescribe it if they want to, but they usually view it as too risky and always refer you to a derm. Even some derms however dont do it i have learned, and all that do have to be associate with an outlet. For instance, i could only get my tane from the chemist store associated with my derm, and they only gave it to patients of his there - so its pretty tightly controlled. However, go to a private derm, pay all the fees, dont let them get away with not giving it to you (say you've been on everything before if you like, look up all the antibiotics on this website if you dont know them) and you will surely soon get some tane!!

In the US, any medical doctor can prescribe provided they have jumped through the IPLEDGE hoops. And most doctors don't want to - and who could blame them, gah! So it's mostly dermatologists with a high percentage of acne cases. In some countries only dermatologists can prescribe it.