Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mrsdarcy

Takin' care of business...

Well, I'm a newbie. I came across Dan's site about a month ago when I decided it was time to make a real attempt at clearing up my acne. I've tried most products that are not prescription (as I have not yet concluded that my acne is bad enough to warrant a dermatologist's attention). I'd say that my acne is mildish-it is mostly whiteheads, pustules and (very rarely) cysts, but it is bothersome and embarassing. I don't like anyone getting very close to my face because I don't like my skin. It's been about four years since I really started getting acne, especially during "that time of the month".

My problem areas are my cheeks (near the noseand below the eyes), my chin and my forehead. My forehead, however, is mostly just many, many skin-colored bumps that never seem to go away completely. I also have had a BIG problem with picking at my face. I have pretty extensive scarring on my chin and cheeks from picking for so long. So a few days ago I decided that I was going to give CSR a try, STOP PICKING and kick my acne to the curb.

I've used the following products at different times and found them to work well with my skin. Here's my game-plan:

Morning:

Cetaphil gentle skin cleanser

Aveeno positively radiant with daily moisturizer with SPF 15 (I first tried Cetaphil's moisturizing lotion but found it to be too greasy)

Mid-afternoon:

Clean&Clear oil absorbing sheets to minimize oil build-up, especially since it is summertime

Night:

Cetaphil gentle skin cleanser

Proactiv lotion 2.5 % BP (I ordered the CSR BP a few weeks ago but something seems to have gone wrong in the shipping process so I'm trying to work that out)

I am using an Aveeno daily scrub for exfoliation but only every other day/third day (by the way, I don't remember which scrub it is but it is very gentle!)

Throughout the day:

KEEP MY HANDS AWAY FROM MY FACE AT ALL COSTS (any tricks to help me break this habit?)

I want to keep everything simple since my skin rebels against lots of "treatment". My skin is fairly sensitive so I am going to take it slow at first with the BP: for the first week only half a finger length. If anyone has any suggestions about products or just in general, I would be very grateful for any advice. Encouragement is greatly appreciated! I'm really intent on getting rid of this problem that has made me so self-conscious :cool: !!

Your regimen resembles mine:

Morning/Night- cetaphil cleanser/proactiv lotion/purpose moist.

How's the progress going so far? it's been slight improvement for me. As for the BP, I find that the Proactiv one works just as good. Does it matter what brand/kind you use? They're all 2.5%

Your regimen resembles mine:

Morning/Night- cetaphil cleanser/proactiv lotion/purpose moist.

How's the progress going so far? it's been slight improvement for me. As for the BP, I find that the Proactiv one works just as good. Does it matter what brand/kind you use? They're all 2.5%

Yeah, you're right! I don't really know where else to get 2.5/5% BP other than the Proactiv of Dan's BP gel so I don't know how they work compared to each other. I hope your skin continues to improve!!

Well, today is day 3. I picked at my cheek a little bit, but I mostly kept my hands away. I think my skin looks about the same as yesterday.

Well I have a really big type pimple on my nose, and it's one of those where if you do everything and anything it just wont go down because it has such a strong outer surface. Well there's that one, and then the one on my chin which grew larger from yesterday...(it started before I was on the CSR)....i have no new pimples which is good news, just ones that are growing! (However, it seems like there's a type of rash on my cheek, and I never ever break out on my cheeks- i think it's reacting to the BP :cry: ) Are you still on the Proactiv BP?

Day 4...

I did pretty well not touching my face. I have really minimized the actual picking. I stop myself when I start running my fingertips over my face to find something to pick at. So I think that is DEFINITELY progress. My skin, however, is not really showing any signs of progress yet. I have two new ones on my chin and I definitely see a few about to break the surface. I'm going to cut my nails really short tonight to help discourage pickage.

I've also been trying to keep my hair out of my face and keep from resting my chin on my hands during work.

The BP is starting to dry out my skin a bit-I noticed I was flaking a bit this morning. Yeah, iheartny, I'm still using the Proactiv BP. I honestly do not understand what happened with my shipment of Dan's stuff, but I hope to figure it out soon.

I found that if I use the full finger-length of BP, (not worried about reacting because i've been using BP for years) i don't get any pimples, and I use less moisturizer in general.

Day 7:

I used 3/4 a finger of BP last night. My skin felt a little more "irritated", but it was just fine this morning. I had a little lapse in picking on Saturday and picked at a bunch of pimples on my forehead and chin. I have started breaking out a bit around my nose and in several spots on my chin. Despite this not-so-good news, I really feel like this regimen is off to a good start. My skin looks smoother and less "bumpy" than it did last week and the new breakouts are healing faster. AND I haven't picked at ALL today (YAY!) and do not really feel compelled to pick anyway. So I think on the whole things are going well.

I'll ramp up to a full finger of BP next week, provided that my skin doesn't get too irritated this week.

Day 9:

Used 3/4 a finger of BP again last night and my skin was pretty red the next morning. I had some dry patches on my chin which peeled a bit throughout the day. I hope this hardening gets over with quickly...I was doing pretty well with not touching my face until the evening when I pretty much went to town and picked at three new pimples that have formed over the last day or so. I popped two of them and just picked at the third. Ughhh...I was doing SO well...The picking started because I was reading a book and always have to have my hands doing something (and up 'til now, that something has been picking at my face). I read before bed almost every night but since I have just applied BP, I can't touch my face because I don't want to disturb the absorption. I'll have to be more careful next time I read before putting on BP.

I've noticed that in general my acne is improving. In the past I've had always had a few pimples that were larger than the acne that is spread across my face. What I see happening is these larger ones are appearing faster but healing more quickly. Not sure what to make of it, though I do not like how quickly they're coming up. Anyway...today is the start of day 10...NO PICKING!

Thanks, Razzle :)

Day 10:

Today was a pretty good day. The skin on my cheeks and forehead looks to be on its way to clearing up nicely. It takes quite a bit longer to get the 3/4 finger of BP to absorb into my skin, but I can definitely see the effects it has on my skin. The many little bumps across my forehead have started to disappear...it's so weird seeing smooth-looking skin!! My chin is still pretty dry this morning (day 11) - lots of flaking, etc. The moisturizer pretty much takes care of it though. It's just in the morning before I apply the moisturizer that my skin looks dried out. My face has also started looking pinkish throughout the day, and I assume this is just redness from the BP. I scratched once today but that was it. I've been doing pretty well with the picking...I am pretty confident now that I'll be able to beat this terrible tendency.

And so starts day 11...here we go: no picking!! :):)

Day 11:

My face was really dry today...I think I am going to go back to 1/2 a finger of BP for a few days to get it to calm down because my skin feels very tight. I exfoliated at night with the aveeno scrub (which is the gentlest scrub I have ever bought) to assist in getting rid of all the shedding skin. I ran my hands across my face a few times today but managed to stop myself from picking each time. Unfortunately, I did scratch at one pimple once. I guess I can't expect to quickly and immediately kick a habit I've had for several years.

Day 12 (morning):

My skin is much less dry this morning after using only 1/2 a finger of BP. Excellent. And now..onward! No picking!! :angel:

This last day and a half has not been so good in regards to picking. I am still back to 1/2 a finger of BP since my face is still peely dry. Ugh...I was driving a lot today so I ended up scratching all around my face a lot. I hope the results aren't too detrimental. I'm a little irked at my inability to stop touching my face today...I'll try to be more conscious of it tomorrow.

Day 14...

UGH today was a not so good day. I had four new pimples this morning...three on my chin and one on my cheek. AND my skin is still very peely (despite scaling back on the BP and putting on more moisturizer), which made me want to scratch at my skin to get the skin off. So I have been touching my face almost all afternoon and evening! I am soo disappointed in myself :(! I had really been doing well so far but I think the appearance of these new little devils has me disheartened. I know it takes awhile for the acne to subside, but I have never been very patient. Hopefully the picking and scratching today isn't too detrimental to any progress I've made. I'll put 1/2 a finger of BP on tonight and now I'll start putting moisturizer on at night too. Wish me luck...I have a feeling it's going to be an uphill battle these next few days. *sigh*

Okay, I changed my mind while waiting for my skin to dry after cleansing it...I'm going to go down to 1/4 finger of BP, twice a day. Tonight I'll make sure to really moisturize...

Btw, thanks for the encouragement PuR...:) Garhhh to picking.

Day 15...

Didn't put any BP on in the evening in order to give my skin a chance to catch up on moisturization. No new little buggers today...just the ones that cropped up the other day. Today was so-so...

Morning of day 16:

I put closer to a 1/3 finger of BP on this morning. My skin isn't nearly as peely and tight feeling as it was on day 14. Reminder to self: no picking.

It will get better. Trust me!

I sure hope so!!

Day 16:

The skin on my chin seems to be the spot where my skin is really dry (still). I put a 1/3 - 1/2 a finger of BP on last night (waited 'til it dried) and then put moisturizer on. My skin was very dry this morning (day 17). No new pimples other than the four medium-sized ones that came up a few days ago. The one on my cheek has healed up quickly but the ones on my chin are quite a bit slower. Ughhh my skin is soo dry...Let's hurry up with this hardening...hehe...I was pretty good about picking all throughout the day at work, but I got a little crazy when I got home. Overall though it wasn't a bad day.

Day 17:

Today was alright. The skin along my jaw is super dry-my chin is getting a little better. My forehead is just a tiny bit dry. The pimple on my cheek is almost completely gone, but the other three are still lingering. I think another one's about to pop up on my forehead but I'm going to try VERY VERY hard not to touch it and see if it'll go away quickly. Wish me luck.

Day 18:

Well three of the four new ones are pretty much healed. The fourth one on my chin that is a bit tender looks like it's going to blow up into a huge monster. I also got two new ones on my forehead. Picking-wise I did very well throughout the day but then on my drive home from work I pretty much scratched everywhere but now I feel compelled to scratch at the dry spots on my face because they are pretty flaky. In the evening when I was applying BP, I layered it on the new spots and the potential monster.

Day 19 Morning:

The two new spots seem to have dried up very nicely and won't be causing trouble (knock on wood) and the tender one is also looking promising. My chin is fairly dry still, as are parts of my forehead, but I'm chugging along. I'd say at this point things are going fairly well in this new regimen. I guess I'll know more positively when I get further into it. My goal today is to not touch my face with my fingers AT ALL. We'll see how it goes...

Day 22:

Well, these past two days were definitely not good. I went out of town and didn't bring my BP so my face was without BP for awhile. I still did the cleanser/moisturizer part, but I could definitely tell the difference without the BP. I got four or five new little buggers on my chin, one on my forehead, a red bump on my nose and one on my chin. I also had a dying one on my chin come back with a vengeance. Anyway, today was okay. I used the BP last night and it looks like the little guys on my chin are going down. The picking has been okay. I hope this dryness stops soon though. It is starting to get really irritating.

Day 23:

The dryness was much better today. I think that two day break from BP really helped. I have also started drinking lots more water (I think today I drank about 2 1/2 liters, which is a lot for me). I've read that being hydrated helps keep your skin from getting dried out. I have a new pimple coming up near one of my eyebrows but I haven't touched it and I made sure to get it with some 10% BP after applying the 2.5 % tonight. Hopefully that'll help kill it off. That's about it for now. Some days I think my skin is getting much better and other days I think it's getting worse. I guess only time will tell.

Day 24:

Today was a good day :). My face wasn't dry. My three main zits are dried out and shrinking. My forehead is SOOOOO much smoother than it was at the beginning. I'm kind of shocked about it actually. I don't remember the last time I saw my forehead this smooth. I have changed my routine a tiny, tiny bit: in the afternoon when I get home from work I've decided to just wash my face to get all the oil and make-up leftovers off. I also apply a little bit of BP to the problem areas. I started this about three days ago and it seems to be working pretty well. The oil blotting sheets are good but they don't get the dirt/make-up off (they aren't supposed to so that's a given haha), which is what I want when I come home. That's about it. Picking was mediocre today. I made it through the whole day and then around 4:30 or 5 I started running my fingers over my forehead, mostly because I was amazed at how smooth it felt haha. I picked a bit at the three current "attention-getters", but I did okay. I think I am kicking this habit (slowly but surely...).

Day 28:

It's been a few days since I updated (obviously). Things have been going well. My face is slowly clearing, I think. I got a new one a few days ago near my nose and it only took a few days to heal right up. I haven't ramped up to more BP yet. My chin started to get a bit dry again. It started peeling yesterday. Maybe because I lightened up a bit on the moisturizer. I've been doing about the same with the picking. Just occasionally touching and picking a few times throughout the day.