Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kohly4404

My Journey with accutane (actually amnesteem)

Hi,

I am a 25 year old female who has had a disgusting face all my life. I just got prescribed accutane on july 8th after trying EVERYTHING else there is both prescription and over the counter. I take 40 mg twice a day at morning and night. I have been taking the pills 10 days and my skin has gotton so much worse. My skin is all red too. I was just wondering what type of soap should I switch too. I was using nuetroguena (the orange gel stuff) but it has salycic acid in it and I cant use it anymore. I also need a moisturizer. I never used one before. I would like one that is not to greasy but that might be able to calm my skin down but I am so afraid that moisturizers will make me break out. I bought a cetaphil one for sensitive skin and I hate it. I heard of one by aveeno but Im not sure what I can use with the accutane. My doctor gave me a list of ingrediants to stay away from, but no specific name brand products that would be good for me. Also has anyone ever tried any type of scar removal after accutane? I have scars on my cheeks that I would like to get rid of after my treatment is over.

Oh ya and for lips, I have been reading alot about this doctor dan stuff.

Where can I find that at? I have been using aquafor ( a baby product) and love it, love it, love it, BUT it comes in a huge tube and I need something portable.

thanks for you time,

Hey girl! First of all, relax! That's key. Accutane is stressful enough as it is!

Read up on my first page for the best advice for just about any question.

For a moisturizer, try Oil of Olay Complete for Sensitive Skin. Lip Balm- Burt's Bee's. Cleanser - Dan's cleanser from this website or Dove for Sensitive skin.

Don't even THINK about scar removal until after you have finished accutane. Don't do anything to your face other than wash it! :)

Welcome! I saw Aquafor on Ebay yesterday in little trial sizes, perfect for carrying around in a purse or bag. You should check that out.

According to my derm, scar removal is not possible until you have been off accutane for 6 months. After that, there are plenty of options such as laser treatments and chemical peels. Congrats on starting tane, just be patient and you'll see results so soon. I am hopefully starting next month. Good luck

well Im am still going strong on the accutane. I have no improvement yet. I flared up real bad last week and had a huge breakout but now it is getting better. How long till you see improvements I am almost finished with week 3. My skin is soooo dry, even my scalp is peeling and I look like I have dandruff. I am also very very tired but that is it for side effects. No headaches or muscle aches or anything. My eyes are dry and sometime my nose bleeds, but nothing to bad. I just dont think the accutane is working for me :cry: Also I was wondering if accutane gets rid of blackheads. They dont seemed to be phased by the accutane at all.

thanks for all the help

Welcome to accutane! I didnt experience the red face, so I cant offer much advice. I hope things go well for you. I am just starting month 3 and so far so good. :D

The thing with accutane is you dont have to worry if it will work for you - as it does for most, for some people it will take longer and for others it will be quicker. Ive seen threads were its taken till the last month of treatment for it to clear up so relax and just let it do its thing.

I use Olay complete spf 15 if im going out but if not i use savlon cream (antiseptic cream) as its moisturizing and helps with skin irritation. I started just a few days ago too so you can check out my thread too!

Good luck

Im on day 19. I know I should be patient its just that my face looks worse than ever! I have like 3 weddings to go to in august and an worried what I will look like. Has anyone ever tried gettting airbrushed tan on accutane. You see I am very fair skinned and have had skin cancer. So I purchase a system and now airbrush tans on people. It is absolutley gorgeous on people looks so real. I did myself for my own wedding even, But i guess my question is, has anyone tried getting spray tanned while on accutane. Since you peel so much it seems your tan would peel right off and leave you blotchy, I did my legs with no problem but havent tried my face......... Just wondering because I want to be tan for the weddings not all white with big fat zits.

thanks

Just stopping by your log to say hi! and i have no idea about the tanning stuff but ill bump your log so other people will see it hah

Just stopping by your log to say hi! and i have no idea about the tanning stuff but ill bump your log so other people will see it hah

Hello back! Your the guy I told about insurance before I read that your insurance did cover it. Ya my accutane is so much because I take 40mg twice a day. So a I am taking 60 pills a month! I wonder if as I loose weight if they will lower my dosage. My original pre bay weight is 110. Im sure if I ever get back down to that, that they would not keep me on 80 mg, Ill have to ask my doctor.........

Good luck to you too, hehe. Guess you'll be 4 days clearer. Hehe

geez, Not at the rate I am going. Today is day 20. I had 4 new fresh wonderful zits when I woke up this morning. And my scalp is still peeling. Anyone else have this problem. My scalp is peeling everywhere. I hate it. I mean my face and lips are peeling but you just put on lotion and aquafor and they look fine but what the hell am I supposed to do about my scalp. Ive been wearing my hair in a ponytail so you cant see my flaky part But my hairline is peeling to..........this seems hopeless.

day 21! Three weeks down.......

One new zit right in the middle of my neck! It is huge, the size of a dime, it hurts when I swallow. Ive been sleeping alot, which is abnormal for me. But I sleep deep and sound, so I acutally kindof like it. My feet hurt today. The arches and my achilles tendon, weird......I need to figure out what to do with this zit.

Day 23. No new zits, just old scabs from me picking my other zits. I have thousands of blackheads though, more than I ever had before. I am going to spray tan myself today, so I will let everyone know how that goes. I already am predicting it will peel off my face and make me look like a friek but I am going to try it anyway.

Day 32

I only have one active zit on my entire face. THe old ones are taking forever to heal, I also got poisen oak, wich on accutane is the worst experiance of my life. You already feel dry itchy and burning to begin with than to have poisen oak I thought I was going to rip my legs off. But it is gone now but the rash really hasnt healed it looks horrible. Does anyone know if you skin has a hard time healing on accutane? It seems like my cuts and or scabs just wont heal at all. Other than that things are fine, my feet still hurt and now I have nasty dry skin from my elbows to my shoulders. It is really rough and patchy and dry it is gross. I am worried since I am going to hawaii on sept 2. I dont want to look like a pale ugly friek with nasty flaky skin. Can you tan at all on accutane?