Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MattJo

Accutane Options, Dosage?

I've tried so many different regimens suggested on this website and some did a little good but never enough to where I felt I looked presentable in the manner in which I desire. I'm 21 years old, my acne is moderate and my skin is very oily. I called the dermatologist that I normally go to (I've been on various anti-biotics for years, also tried differin and various other topicals) and they told me the earliest opening is not for 3 more months, which is absolutely ridiculous. I'm in a fairly rural area so driving to another city is not what I want to do.

I have a friend who went on accutane by purchasing it through a foreign distributor. I'm certain now that I will go this route because I really cannot take this much more. My question is what dosage is advisable for moderate acne with very oily skin? I am thinking 10mg/day but have heard the chance of the effect being permanent will go down significantly with such a low dosage.

Any constructive thoughts preferably backed with evidence or experience are very much welcomed.

As much as a pain as it might be, I highly recommend you only go on Accutane under a doctor's supervision. It's not something you want to mess around with as it can have serious side effects. I went on Accutane about 10 yrs ago. It worked very well, but you have to have monthly checks (where they draw some blood) to make sure it is not damaging your liver. I am assuming that you are not female, but if you are, you need to be on some sort of birth control because Accutane can cause birth defects. Your doctor can put you on the right dosage and make sure you are OK. You don't want to be just pretty, but healthy as well! Good luck!

No responsible member of this site is going to encourage you to take Accutane unsupervised by a derm. It is a drug to be taken seriously and frankly, you do not know what you are getting from foreign distributors. If you wish to persist you can easily find out what the recommended dosages are.

agreed. accutane is some serious stuff. my face sounds exactly like yours, and i have been considering accutane for about a week. i would never even consider it tho if it wasnt with a derm/doc. they need to give blood tests, and can accurately assess the situation. just take the three months, and try to follow the regimen to the hilt (i find myself skipping a lot so that might be happening to you too). if it still hasnt gone away, go to the derma. if it has hooray.

o yea, i noticed you said derma. regular doctors can perscribe accutane too, so if there is a doctors office close that could work too

peace,

bob

Repost:

I've struggled with acne for years. I've experimented with different regimens and cleansers. I tried most of the home remedies and over-the-counters. I was prescribed every topical cream and gel. I even went for laser and long term antibiotics.

Looking back on the last TEN YEARS I view all that stuff as a waste of time and money. Few helped, and most made it worse. At best, a select few kept acne "under control" but the persistence of the lesions lead to scarring.

But then I found Isotretinoin (accutane). I had to do my own research. Dermatologist after dermatologist never made mention of it?. Yet they prescribed long-term antibiotics and lasers for God's sake! (BTW, the side effects of these are far worse than my Isotretinoin.)

There is FAR too much NEGATIVE HYPE surrounding this drug. It took me a year to decide to go on it; during which time I was burned by laser "therapy." I'm now in month-two of my five month dose. My acne is greatly reduced and pimples I do get are smaller and heal in a day or two (without scarring).

My face is much less oily. My pores are smaller. The blackheads are gone. The only side effect is dry lips and to a lesser extent dry face. Both are easily remedied and far less of a side effect than some cleansers I tried.

For 60 percent of patients Isotretinoin puts their acne into prolonged remission (years). Of that 60 percent, 90 percent are CURED for life. Patients that do not respond from one treatment course can be put on a second, third, and even fourth round. The percentage of acne remission goes up with each course of Isotretinoin. So the odds are it will CURE you.

It took me 9 years to find out about Isotretinoin (accutane) and another 1 to decide to go on it. I really think Isotretinoin should be given as a prophylactic at puberty. Especially in those who have a family history of acne in parents or older siblings.

There is no excuse for CHILDREN to go through what I did. My "moderate/persistent, papular/pustular acne" was a daily torment. It kept me from dating and making friends. It lead to obsessive compulsive behavior regarding clean sheets, handwashing, face touching, mirrors, etc.

I was even afraid to go to sleep at night for fear of waking up with fresh crop of zits. My mood deteriorated. I became depressed and at worst suicidal.

Of course I couldn't tell my dermatologist any of this. I'd never have been prescribed the WONDER DRUG. But I as I suspected, Isotretinoin indirectly acted as an ANTIDEPRESSANT. It gave me initial hope after so many let downs. And now finally, the acne is clearing. I am a completely different person. I have a life again. Thanks to Isotretinoin.

Sadly, the iPLEDGE program is now making it more difficult to obtain the drug. It violates patient privacy laws. There are impractical regulations you, your doctor, the blood lab, the pharmacy, and the iPLEDGE processing center must coordinate with. There is usually a gap of 3 days at the end of every month during which you will be unable to get your medication. It can be weeks if your pharmacy has to order the correct dosage or become "iPLEDGE registered."

I can't stress enough how important early intervention is. If I was put on Isotretinoin even as late as 2-3 years into my acne I would not have scarring now. New scars also respond much better to treatment than scars older than six months.

That doesn't mean one should rush into scar treatment. It is important to note: SCARS SHOULD NOT BE TREATED WHILE ON Isotretinoin and for six months afterwards. The skin is far too sensitive and scarring could worsen.

Acne scars are extremely DIFFICULT and EXPENSIVE to treat once you have them. Even with current treatments, deeper scars can never be erased. Nevertheless, there are treatments that can LESSEN the appearance of deep scars. Superficial scars can more-or-less be "erased." But it is still EXPENSIVE; I've probably spent $10,000 easy.

Before Isotretinoin I tried several lasers to ameliorate my scars. I tried the NON-ABLATIVE lasers: CoolTouch, SmoothBeam, N-Lite, Intense Pulsed Light (IPL), and a diode laser. One session with any of these lasers can cost more than $1000. NONE WORKED EVEN SLIGHTLY. Not even on superficial scars. In fact, the IRRITATION they caused exacerbated my acne and led to a few small, new scars.

I can only blame myself. I did not exhaustively RESEARCH them. The company websites are questionable and the patient stories on message boards show these lasers don't work.

For the last year or so I've been doing my homework. I looked into ablative procedures. Carbon dioxide laser has been around for 20 years and has demonstrated results. However the down time was considerable and the risks high. I've come to the same conclusion for dermabrasion and microdermabrasion (the latter just being a gimmick).

The FRAXEL laser seems to be the best choice right now. The majority of patient reports are positive. The downtime and risks are minimal. But it only got FDA approval for acne scars this month. I'm glad I have to wait at least another year to get it.

I'm not sure I believe the company's claim that Fraxel treats the skin microscopically. It's supposed to damage the skin in "microscopic" dots that are .1 millimeters wide and 1.0 millimeter deep. That's about twice the size of a large pore and still visible to the naked eye. I guess it would work for deep scar tissue. But probably will probably make normal skin seem mottled. I guess a bad complexion is a trade off for reducing scars.

I realize this is a long post. I just wanted to contribute my thoughts. I hope it's helpful to anyone struggling with acne/scars and trying to make sense of it all.

agreed. accutane is some serious stuff. my face sounds exactly like yours, and i have been considering accutane for about a week. i would never even consider it tho if it wasnt with a derm/doc. they need to give blood tests, and can accurately assess the situation. just take the three months, and try to follow the regimen to the hilt (i find myself skipping a lot so that might be happening to you too). if it still hasnt gone away, go to the derma. if it has hooray.

o yea, i noticed you said derma. regular doctors can perscribe accutane too, so if there is a doctors office close that could work too

peace,

bob

evidently not. went to my regular doctor, and he said he couldn't perscribe

If you are in the U.S. a regular doctor can prescribe provided they have done the iPLEDGE registration stuff. Which most regular doctors (and hell, about half of the derms) aren't doing since it's a huge pain.