Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tap

An AHA moisturizer should be a CSR requirement

I think that the CSR should say that it's necessary to have an AHA moisturizer for use at least once a day. The reason is that without one, old acne marks stay around longer because the benzoyl peroxide imprints the marks on your face. Even though you might be clear, you may still have a lot of old marks sticking around.

Having an AHA moisturizer such as one with glycolic acid or lactic acid helps with this issue. For me, I've only used the Neutrogena Healthy skin lotion for about a week now and my face looks nicer and has a more even tone. Also, even though I have some marks still, they are fading away nicely with continued use.

Overall, I'd definitely recommend some kind of AHA and think it should be a CSR requirement.

I don't think it should be required since people with very sensitive skin might not be able to handle BP and AHA at the same time, and BP is by far the more important of the two. But yes, I do agree that most regimen users should try to find a good AHA if they are used to the regimen and can in fact tolerate BP and AHA simultaneously. I didn't think I needed one, but I picked up a bottle of NHSFL at Target after hearing good things about it and wanting to change moisturizers. It has evened out my complexion a lot and helped with dryness and flaking, and now I use it every night and can't imagine dropping AHAs given my results. I even ordered four bottles off of amazon.com the other day!

The goal of the CSR is to clear acne. It does that just fine without any AHA. That is why it is not a requirement.

While I agree that AHA can be important, and I myself love using AHA with the CSR, it isn't central to clearing up the acne.

And as Cool as Kim Deal stated, alot of people simply cannot tolerate the acids very well.

it isn't central to clearing up the acne.

And as Cool as Kim Deal stated, alot of people simply cannot tolerate the acids very well.

I agree the AHA doesn't really clear up acne. But the CSR inherently leaves old acne marks around much longer because of the benzoyl peroxide. I would argue that old marks are just as bad as new pimples, even more so since pimples go away.

AHA simply takes care of this loophole of the CSR. If the overall goal is not just to clear acne, but to have a clear complexion, then it would make sense to make it a requirement.

This is probably why Dan is including lactic acid in his new moisturizer, in effect because he realizes the importance of AHA in the regimen.

i completely agree. ive been on the regimen for 6 months and gone through stages of using aha and not using aha and ive found that aha makes my skin way better, breaks out much less, and looks altogether better. the problem im having is that i can use it twice a day on my forehead no problems, but using it on my chin i have to find the perfect amount to be able to use without it causing my face to flake. but yeah honestly ive found that i can get away with using less bp if im using aha, otherwise i have to use a shitload of bp and a massive amount of some other moisturizer just to keep my skin clear.

Sorry for the dumb question, but what is AHA? Any recommendations on moisturizers that have this? If I hear nothing else I may try the Neutrogena one. =)

Sorry for the dumb question, but what is AHA? Any recommendations on moisturizers that have this? If I hear nothing else I may try the Neutrogena one. =)

As I understand it, an AHA or alpha hydroxy acid includes glycolic acid or lactic acid. Supposedly, it moisturizes better and stops peeling fast. It also stops new pimples from forming and dries them off pretty quickly. Finally, it fades old acne spots by exfoliating the skin, which also helps unclog pores. Overall, it seems like a definite must while on the CSR.

The thing is I guess some people are sensitive to it. There are a few moisturizers that have it like Eucerin, the alphahydroxy brand, and the Neutrogena healthy skin one. There may be others, but I'm not sure.

it isn't central to clearing up the acne.

I agree the AHA doesn't really clear up acne. But the CSR inherently leaves old acne marks around much longer because of the benzoyl peroxide. I would argue that old marks are just as bad as new pimples, even more so since pimples go away.

AHA simply takes care of this loophole of the CSR. If the overall goal is not just to clear acne, but to have a clear complexion, then it would make sense to make it a requirement.

This is probably why Dan is including lactic acid in his new moisturizer, in effect because he realizes the importance of AHA in the regimen.

well lactic acid is a very weak AHA, but some peopel's skin cant handle aha as brandy said, which would mean more irritation/redness which may mean more break outs of acne, thast why is is not required, but helpful if your skin can handle it.

Supposedly, it moisturizes better and stops peeling fast. It also stops new pimples from forming and dries them off pretty quickly. Finally, it fades old acne spots by exfoliating the skin, which also helps unclog pores. Overall, it seems like a definite must while on the CSR.

I don't think AHA does anything for stopping new pimples. And exfoliating your skin is peeling, so it can't stop peeling and then exfoliate at the same time.

I don't think AHA does anything for stopping new pimples and exfoliating your skin is peeling, so it can't stop peeling and then exfoliate at the same time.

AHA does exfoliate. As for peeling, what I mean is when it becomes flaky when it's dry. That doesn't necessarily mean it's exfoliating.

AHA is an ACID which means it wont exactly "peel" your skin if it is used correctly and if your skin can tolerate it. Just think of it as "eating away" at the dead skin...as gross as that sounds haha.