Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
octopusfrog

Any Runners on Acutane?

Any long distance runners take accutane? I do about 30-40 miles a week and i'm wondering if accutane would have any effect on my training. Thanks.

Well, i'm not a runner, but it could effect your training. Accutane can cause aches in the joints and muscles that can interfere with training. Many people report that these can be controlled by taking fish oil supplements which have natural anti-inflammatory properties and may aid in keeping joint fluids from getting too dry. The other issue is the slowed healing. Accutane slows the division of fast-dividing cells like those responsible for healing. This means that recovery time between workouts is longer and if you don't adjust your training accordingly you can wind up overtraining. You also do not want to get injured on Accutane due to the slowed healing.

But! Some athletes report that they don't experience any issues. Just know that they are possible, and whether or not you personally experience them is basically luck of the draw.

I am a big time runner and have trained during several courses of accutane. It made me feel fatigued while I was training for a marathon a few years back...it also can affect your bone density, thus making you more suseptable to stress fractures.

My fatigue was minimal and I never suffered any stress fractures. I think you'll be fine!

Happy trails :)

As others have said, it depends, but you could experience joint soreness during the Accutane course. If you do start to experience pain, you could switch to swimming a few times a week. Still run once or twice, but swim the other times. Just a suggestion.

I excercise regularly and my joints hurt. The derm said accutane reduces the lubrication b/w the joints

Have you tried fish oil supplements? They made my joint aches disappear.