Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jc77

Shaving and Exfoliation Question

I never had acne until I started shaving my cheeks, it was never more than a few pimples but got bad when I started college. The hair on my cheeks is very fine, and prone to what I believe are ingrown hairs. The hair in my "goatee area" and neck grow like normal coarse facial hair and I never break out there. Originally I thought my best bet would be to shave everyday and the hair would just start to grow coarse as a result of the shaving, but the acne got worse. Eventually I gave up shaving my cheeks and just did my neck and chin and the break outs somewhat lessened. I spoke to my derm and he said that I should shave my cheeks with a body trimmer and then use the razor on the coarse hair which I've been doing for a while and the breakouts have lessened a little more. I was originally convinced that they were ingrown hairs but the more I've been reading the more I am starting to think they may be papules but I'm not sure. They feel like they come from down deep, are hard, SOMETIMES come to a head but all eventually shrink to nothing and leave a red mark for abour 4-8 weeks. Would this be classified as ingrown hairs? If not would it be beneficial for me to start shaving my cheeks with a razor again to help remove dead skin as currently I dont exfoliate. Also right now I'm clear of all acne except for two pretty good ones on my cheeks and a good amount of nagging red marks. Any comments / ideas would be appreciated.

How exactly are you shaving? Are you shaving in solid downward strokes, and avoiding going over the same area too many times?

You might be interested in this product, it's a life-saver for avoiding shaving irritation, and I believe it stopped me from breaking out due to shaving irritation.

http://www.aveeno.com/detailAction.do?id=3670

Which razor are you using right now? A favorite of mine--and many of the people currently on the CSR--is the Sensor Excel. If you think your razor is irritating your skin, you might want to pick this one up.

You may also want to try holding a warm wet cloth on your cheeks for a minute or so before shaving, as it'll soften the hairs and skin up, and allow for an easier shave.

How exactly are you shaving? Are you shaving in solid downward strokes, and avoiding going over the same area too many times?

You might be interested in this product, it's a life-saver for avoiding shaving irritation, and I believe it stopped me from breaking out due to shaving irritation.

http://www.aveeno.com/detailAction.do?id=3670

Which razor are you using right now? A favorite of mine--and many of the people currently on the CSR--is the Sensor Excel. If you think your razor is irritating your skin, you might want to pick this one up.

You may also want to try holding a warm wet cloth on your cheeks for a minute or so before shaving, as it'll soften the hairs and skin up, and allow for an easier shave.

Well I shave my cheeks with an electric body groomer which pretty much trims the hair right to the skin without cutting it level with the skin (very good for people with bad ingrown hairs. You can't tell the difference really). On my other areas I use a single blade disposable razor with no issues at all but again, that is where my coarse hair that quickly regrows is so when if i do get an ingrown in that area it goes away almost immeadeatly because the coarse hair pushes itself through. The sides of my face are different because the hair is so fine (a little more coarse than "peach fuzz" but still very light colored) and grows so slowly that if the hair does curl and get blocked then i get a big ingrown that lasts for a LONG time beacuse the hair grows much slower. A little leary also about trying a dual blade razor because my derm told me to try single blades because the double blades tend to pull the hair up out of the follicle, cut it and release it leaving the hair below the skin which could increase ingrown hairs.

If i were to shave the sides of my face with a razor does that in any way promote coarse hair growth. I remember kids in high school who would shave every day even when they didnt need to to try and grow full beards. I'm doubtful this is true but I guess anything is possible.

Right now I'm about 4-5 weeks into the CSR and am clear of all acne except for two on my cheeks and some red marks which are fading fast. If the regimen keeps up I see myself 95% free of all acne and red marks except maybe 1 or 2 that wouldnt even make me think twice. in months I dont want to have a massive break out on my cheeks from going back to shaving with a razor after coming this far but so far everything Dan has said has worked so I am leaning towards trying it. In the same breath I still get acne / ingrowns/possible cysts that look like what I would charecterize as ingrown hairs but my razor doesnt cut the hair low enough so maybe they are cystic. Would shaving with a razor remove dead skin and actually promote healthier skin? I'm not to sure and think I've already babbled on long enough.

All thoughts and comments are welcome

thanks for the link

Okay, I'm not sure I recognized all the questions in your post, but I can answer one: shaving (with a razor) is a method of exfoliation, meaning yes, it'll help remove dead skin from the surface, and help prevent comedones (clogged pores). I'm not sure what else to say, as I've never really had a problem with ingrown hairs. If I were you I'd get the shave gel I mentioned and just try shaving with a razor, double bladed or not, on my cheeks. I shaved when I used to have that peach fuzz stuff and didn't have a problem with it, and still don't now that the hair is thick and bristly.

Apologies for the long winded and confusing post. Essentially I was convinced for the longest time that the acne on my cheeks was ingrown hairs and now im not sure if they were in fact ingrown hairs or cysts that were going to happen regardless. I think i might try it but as I said I'm a little aprehensive as I've had good luck using the body trimmer to prevent whatever is causing blemishes in that area. Most likely I'll get the cream and try the sensor excel, its not like I'm not used to having blemishes so a few more weeks isnt really going to hurt so much just to find out. The exfoliation of shaving is a plus but as i said I've been doing ok with just the trimmer but I'm wondering if I could see better results by shaving. Sort of a catch 22. Thanks for the insight regardless

I am a 20 year old male who has problems with shaving and i think i may have the very same problem as you. I have what I believe is irritation caused by shaving and has caused breakouts of acne just on my cheek areas on both sides of my face.I break out with pustules, pauples, and whiteheads. Personally i've tried the CSR and it did not work for me. I've gone to the Derm and have been prescribed Tetracycline antibiotics and retin-a cream neither of these worked either. My irritation and acne got worse when on these methods recently i have stopped the antibiotics, retin-a, and BP applications. my skin has been getting a little better but i feel that i am back at the point i was at before i went to the derm and tried the CSR and feel that i have been seeing no improvements for a long while now. I have gone back to shaving with an electric razor i feel that this is the best way as it does not seem to irritate my skin anymore than it already is. I exfoliate and deep clean twice a day changed my diet to include no soda and limit dairy products and processed foods and take vitamin suppliments which include vit a, vit e, omega 369, vit c, and still have seen no improvements. I was wondering if anyone has some advice or methods to help aid in the healing process, also wondering if anyone has had success with any other antibiotics or anything like that? also would accutane help with this process? any advice or comments are greatly appreciated.

I am a 20 year old male who has problems with shaving and i think i may have the very same problem as you. I have what I believe is irritation caused by shaving and has caused breakouts of acne just on my cheek areas on both sides of my face.I break out with pustules, pauples, and whiteheads. Personally i've tried the CSR and it did not work for me. I've gone to the Derm and have been prescribed Tetracycline antibiotics and retin-a cream neither of these worked either. My irritation and acne got worse when on these methods recently i have stopped the antibiotics, retin-a, and BP applications. my skin has been getting a little better but i feel that i am back at the point i was at before i went to the derm and tried the CSR and feel that i have been seeing no improvements for a long while now. I have gone back to shaving with an electric razor i feel that this is the best way as it does not seem to irritate my skin anymore than it already is. I exfoliate and deep clean twice a day changed my diet to include no soda and limit dairy products and processed foods and take vitamin suppliments which include vit a, vit e, omega 369, vit c, and still have seen no improvements. I was wondering if anyone has some advice or methods to help aid in the healing process, also wondering if anyone has had success with any other antibiotics or anything like that? also would accutane help with this process? any advice or comments are greatly appreciated.

Even though I was convinced that the things on my cheeks were ingrown hairs I'm now not sure after learning about the different types of acne. Some of them could have been pustiles and pauples or oneof the other kinds. However I know that at least some of the were definetly ingrown hairs. It sounds like we have very similar problems except so far after about 5 weeks the CSR has been working pretty well for me, only 3 new pimples in the 5 weeks, one in the fold of my nose I have a problem seeing and two monsters on my cheek.

Try something like this Body Trimmer I've been using one very similar for just my cheeks and from what I've noticed over the 8 months I've been using it my breakouts reduced and I was even 100% clear for about 3 months. I believe this is due to the fact that the body trimmer just trims the hair right at the surface level so the hair never goes below the skin line. When you get into shaving be it regular or electric they are going to pull the hair up OUT of the follicle as far as it can, cut it, and release it giving you that "super smooth shave". This puts the hair below skin level though and if you like me it makes the slow growing, fine hair, have to grow farther up the follicle without curving and causing an ingrown hair. Try the trimmer, my logic is if it cuts just above skin level the hair has no way to curve in the follicle and if your like me and the hair is fine, it looks just like a clean shave.