Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
christa

Does Moisturizer help prevent acne?

I wash my face twice a day with oil free acne wash Neutrogena and use Clidoxyl (BP) but I don not use a moisturizer because my skin is quite oily. Would I get less acne if I started using a moisturizer or no? Thanx

I'm in the same boat as you. My skin is oily and I wasn't sure as to whether it was okay for me to use moisturizer, so I did some research. The consesus is that moisturizing is essential for healthy skin, no matter what your skin type. So this means that even if your skin is oily, you should still moisturize. Why should someone with oily skin moisturize when their skin isn't dry, you ask? Well, for one thing, just because your skin is oily doesn't mean it's hydrated, which is what you want your skin to be. Remember, oil and water are two different things. Secondly, moisturizing, especially for oily skinned people, helps balance the skin's natural oil production, which should help reduce breakouts.

The key to remember is that if you have oily skin and you moisturize, you want to use a lightweight, non-greasy moisturizer, one that won't clog your pores and cause breakouts. Also, the Acne Cure regimen requires that your moisturizer have an SPF of at least 15. Another good idea would be to make sure that it says "Broad Spectrum" on it, which means that it protects against all types of the sun's harmful rays, not only UV.

Currently, the moisturizer I'm using is a Neutrogena non-tinted moisturizer with SPF 30. It meets all of the above criteria. It can be found at drugstore.com

Also, all of the info above was found by typing in "oily skin FAQ," "oily skin," and "oily skin moisturize" in Google.com search engine.

In my own experience, moisturiser makes me break out. For 2 years I used moisturiser (as reccomended by dan) and my acne steadily got worse. I presumed it was other parts of my regimen that were the problem, so I continued to moisturise and change all that. Then one day, I just got fraustrated and stopped all treatment (including moisturisation) in a crazy rage, and my skin actually improved! I finally realised that it was the moisturiser that was the problem and I have since gone back to that regimen, only without moisturisation and I have seen my skin dramatically improve.

So, although you should benefit from moisturisation, this is not always the case (as in mine). My advice...try it out, if it doesn't work for you, then don't do it. Everyone's skin is different.

In my own experience, moisturiser makes me break out. For 2 years I used moisturiser (as reccomended by dan) and my acne steadily got worse. I presumed it was other parts of my regimen that were the problem, so I continued to moisturise and change all that. Then one day, I just got fraustrated and stopped all treatment (including moisturisation) in a crazy rage, and my skin actually improved! I finally realised that it was the moisturiser that was the problem and I have since gone back to that regimen, only without moisturisation and I have seen my skin dramatically improve.

So, although you should benefit from moisturisation, this is not always the case (as in mine). My advice...try it out, if it doesn't work for you, then don't do it. Everyone's skin is different.

The research I did says that moisturizing should regulate surface oils, but lately I've noticed that even though my moisturizer is "lightweight" and "non pore clogging," my skin's oil level is still the same.

My face is still, if not more, shiny than it was before I started using it. I've been moisturizing for a few weeks now, and I think a reduction in oiliness should have occurred by now.

What I'm going to do is go without moisturizer tomorrow and see how oily my face gets, then from there I can decide if I want to continue using moisturizer or not.

Perhaps the same thing that happened to danm is happening to me, my skin simply doesn't agree with moisturizers.

this is one of the issues that i cannot seem to figure out myself, even after much testing.

for me, it's like this:

if i don't moisturize, my skin is scaley/dry/flakey, but clear. no pimples.

if i moiturize, i get whiteheads.

i've tried every moisturizer on the main page as well as other moisturizers. i donno, it's a double edged sword for me.