Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
tommydyhr

Dairy products. What to avoid?

I am now 100% certain that dairy products cause most of my breakouts, but I'm wondering "what forms" of dairy I would then want to avoid. I know the obvious milk, ice cream, yoghurt and such, but what about the products where it isn't as obvious, like chocolate, white bread, gravy, cakes and such, should I try and avoid those as well, or does whatever causes the acne in milk subside after it's been heated or something?

I am now 100% certain that dairy products cause most of my breakouts, but I'm wondering "what forms" of dairy I would then want to avoid. I know the obvious milk, ice cream, yoghurt and such, but what about the products where it isn't as obvious, like chocolate, white bread, gravy, cakes and such, should I try and avoid those as well, or does whatever causes the acne in milk subside after it's been heated or something?

Hmm...Well personally, I tend to avoid like you said the most obvious forms of dairy products, milk, cheese, yogurt and ice cream. Although these past weeks I've been having huge chocolate cravings which is not doing myself and my skin any favours. So I'm cutting that out my diet tomorrow.

Yogurt is good for your body... not just your skin :D

The amount of milk in chocolate is miniscule... it it's affecting you it's probably sugar or the cocao itself, unless you're eating pounds of the stuff...

The two things in milk that could affect acne are lactose (because many people are intolerant, to varying degrees) or hormones passed through milk (Bovine Growth Hormone). Heating it probably won't alter either of those properties, as most milk is sterilized through a heating process anyway (pasteurization).

The two things in milk that could affect acne are lactose (because many people are intolerant, to varying degrees) or hormones passed through milk (Bovine Growth Hormone).

There's more than that. Cow's milk and cheese (non-organic, pasteurized, homogenized) break me out. I'm not lactose intolerant at all (and goat's milk, which has lactose, doesn't break me out). And I live in Canada where BGH is not used.

There's more than that. Cow's milk and cheese (non-organic, pasteurized, homogenized) break me out. I'm not lactose intolerant at all (and goat's milk, which has lactose, doesn't break me out). And I live in Canada where BGH is not used.

Well feel free to share your theory... I can't think of it being much more complicated than that, but then again I'm not an expert. Could be the concentration of lactose or presence of other sugars that's affecting your acne?

Well feel free to share your theory... I can't think of it being much more complicated than that, but then again I'm not an expert. Could be the concentration of lactose or presence of other sugars that's affecting your acne?

I don't know for sure what it is, but possibly the casein? Cow's milk and cheese stuff up my nose, too... which I think indicates an intolerance to casein. Goat's milk has some casein but it's apparently different somehow and easier to digest. It doesn't stuff up my nose anyway.