Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
nappyjim

Hypothetically speaking....

if I stopped everything. I mean, could it be that I have outgrown acne, but by simply continuing to apply products, I am simply aggravating it?

It could be, depending on how many products you're using. Remember, too much of anything is bad. It's unlikely though that by ceasing to use products your acne will clear up completely; you must still be somewhat prone to acne if you're still breaking out.

I don't think benzoyl peroxide causes acne. You can stop it and see what happens, though I expect the results will be bad.

I've thought about this too. If I had never used a single acne product would my face have figured it out on its own by now? At times it just seems like I am prolonging acne's life-- need to pull the plug on it.

This is especially interesting because from these forums, it seems like people who use BP can get clear skin (very common), but it doesn't seem to cure it. Meaning, the only way to keep clear skin is to keep doing the Regimen. I could be way off here so it would be nice to hear from some people who phased out the Regimen and now live a normal Regimen-free life.

I'd like to hear some testimonies from people who were able to eventually quit the regimen and remain clear. I guess it's just rare because once you become completely clear, it's unlikely you'll be returning to an acne advice message board.

does it really matter?

you can't cure acne, not with BP and Dan made it clear that you don't *cure* acne with BP or the regimen

with tane it may not come back, but for any other topical, BP or prescribed, it simply suppress it till the day you actually outgrow it.

so hearing these *success* stories mean nothing to you since we don't outgrow our acne in the same time frame and has no relation to your own *success* in ridding acne.

to the OP, I think that while these medication may irritate your skin, if you have actually outgrew your acne, it won't aggravate to cause you to then grow acne but that you may experience general skin irritation. Since irritation should be kept to the minimum in the first place, you shouldn't notice anything cosmetically...

Well im not a doctor or anything..But heres my comment...Wouldnt your skin produce the same ammount of oil as before or after the products that you use..Unless its going away on its own..Not sure..But would make since. I think it would still produce the same ammount if not more if you quit using a product...Unless your face is really dried up.. :$ :)

if it aint broke, dont fix it.

if the regimen is working, why change?

Well just because no matter how simple a regimen it is, putting chemicals into your skin is unnatural. That may not be a large factor, but you also have to consider that over the years, you'll be taking hours and days of just doing the regimen, and spending hundreds or thousands of dollars on skincare.

I'm by no means complaining, honestly, the CSR is a life-safer (literally). It's just that it'd be nice to look forward to an end.

just so you guys know. i did a test recently to see if my skin had "outgrown" acne etc and this is the thread :

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php...=103824&hl=

but yea my new plan is, if ive been clear for quite some time, and my skin is fairly and pretty much clear months on end.

il simply slowly decrease my regimen and see what happens.

ie.

il go to say 1application a day, 3times a week.

then if i stay clear

il go to one application a day, all the time.

then if i stil stay clear

ill apply once a day, 3times a week.

and if i stay clear on that then il prob come off totally.

but not yet, im stil acne prone :(

Yeah, but the main question is is it possible to outgrow acne on the regimen? I've not seen one verified report of it yet, and since the regimen is basically new and all the users now are within the first generation of regimen users, how can we know what it's doing to our skin? It doesn't seem too farfetched to me that our skin could develope dependancy on the daily routine.

ur skin could possibly become dependant on it.

but on the other hand if uve outgrown acne.

then ur skin wont be acne prone anymore wil it.

so therefore, my idea of slowing coming off the regimen wil decrease ur skins dependancy on the regimen.

I understand what you're saying, but we really don't know what we're doing to our skin. If our skin becomes dependant on the system, who's to say the effect is reversable? Like maybe you'd outgrow acne naturally at age 25, but after doing the CSR for a few years and having your skin accustomed to the extra chemicals present, you wouldn't grow out of it. Once those chemicals weren't put into your skin everyday, your skin didn't have its own means of fighting acne.

Anyone reading this: please don't let it scare you from the CSR. I'm just challenging people's ideas in hopes that someone proves me wrong to put me at ease. It'd be great if Dan came in here, I remember him saying something about a friend who got off the CSR without breaking out. :)

end of the day bp is helping your acne.

im using it, brandy is, dan is, elsewhere is,you are, janiet is, THOUSANDS are

and we are all in the same boat.

its not an oral antibiotic its a topical

so u need to apply day in day out

i doubt very much ur skin wil become dependant on it.