Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
oceanmist

how can i recover from over-exfoliated skin?

so my moderate acne/acne scars led me to seek out some more aggressive approaches. I was prescribed Retin-A and hydroquoine (bleaching creams) to fade the red marks. At first I hated it, then I loved it, then I hated it again. While it did fade my marks, my acne came back still occassionally and the products made my skin super sensitive and oily. I never had a problem with oily skin until then. So I quit those products, realizing that I"ve overexfoliated and that my skin is producing more oil to compensate.

Recently in an effort to heal from the inside out, I've hit up the gym and going to the sauna there. I've gone twice and 2 days later I notice that my skin is oily than EVER BEFORE. I think all that hot steam made my skin exfoliate again.. agh! not good!

So what is actually worse that dealing with my red marks is my super oily skin combined with that! I have to use the oil-blotting sheets like 7 times a day and wash my face around 5pm or else I feel so gross. GRR! DON"T USE RETIN-A!!!!! It's not worth it in the end...... I"d rather have a few blemishes but have normal skin... than have blemishes with supersensitive and oily skin....

I know that I have to give my skin time to recover... but does anyone have any advice on how long that may take? Or anything to help it recover faster?

Conventional medication has way too may side effects that aren't spoken of... UGH.

Screw this I am gonna go all natural and let my body and skin heal itself.

Yeah, Retinoids change your skin, I'm using differin. I was wondering how logn after use skin returns to normal aswell?

I know that I have to give my skin time to recover... but does anyone have any advice on how long that may take? Or anything to help it recover faster?

Hi...sorry to hear you're having such a tough go...I've read from a lot of different posts and forums that emu oil is a very healing biological oil that can and does for many people heal and restore the skin barrier, speed healing, and help maintain a healthy glow. It is thought to be non-comedogenic (typo, sorry) and therefore does not clog pores with most people. If you have oily skin I would recommend the triple-refined, sometimes called clear, emu oil, as opposed to the ultra emu oil which is heavier and more suited to those w/ drier skin types.

I, however, can't use it... it clogs my pores! A very healing oil for me is just a little jojoba oil rubbed lightly into my skin after cleansing and with my skin still wet.

Also, maybe take a look at some supplements that have worked for others? I take a slew of them but I swear by MSM powder and silica gel. there's loads of other unpronouncable vitamins/minerals that others have had success with, maybe try tweaking that end of your routine, if you haven't already?

good luck!

Moisturize your skin. Slather on Aquaphor for a night.

Why not drop hydroquinone and try Retin-A by itself? Hydro totally made me peel, flake, and itch. Retin-A, I tolerated very well after a few weeks.

Try cleaning products containing tea tree oil and witch hazel.

i dont think you're suppose to use astringents like witch hazel while on retina/differin etc..