Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I'm here at work drinking coffee to keep me up. So is coffee good or bad for my acne? Should I use substituted sugar instead?

I grew up hearing coffee is bad for you, but there seems to be a lot of health benefits attributed to coffee, DEPENDING on your tollerance. Just google it and check it out.

It took me a while... quite a while, but... get used to it black. Seriously. I used to put about 3 teaspoons sugar and generous cream in for an average cup. It wasn't coffe when I was done with it! Anyways, I realized that couldn't be too good for my health, so I just started drinking it black, (unless I get an expensive latte or whatever somewhere...).

You also look tougher when you drink it black... I used to cringe and want to spit out black coffee. I actually enjoy the taste now.

IF you can't get used to it black, I would stick with normal sugar. The substitutes tend to be worse for you than the real thing. Using honey to sweeten would be good, but it tastes funny to me. Not clown funny, weird funny.

Coffee is supposed to be bad for acne because it drains your adrenals. If you don't notice a difference, keep drinking it. I drink white tea now, and I used to LOVE coffee. I think it's something that should be enjoyed now, not something to use as a crutch. If / when I go back to drinking coffee, I'm just gonna buy the highest quality whole beans I can find, grind them up before each use and use the french press method. Gotta have a top quality cup :) Till then though, coffee messes with my skin.

Caffeine is found in coffee, tea, chocolate and some soft drinks. One cup of coffee has 107mg of caffeine, one cup of tea has 34mg, and one glass of cola has 47mg, assuming all are caffeinated beverages.

Over half the population of the U.S. drinks at least two cups of coffee a day. 25% of coffee drinkers consume about five cups daily, and another 25% drink ten or more cups a day. Coffee is not just a beverage, it's a drug. Hundreds of thousands of law abiding citizens are physically addicted to coffee.

it seriously is ana ddiction i try to stay away from coffee but now when i do have somei always crave it ugh its so darn good .. i know someone who was literally addicted to coffee everyday she couldnt live without atleast 1 cup of coffee .. its a caffeine addiction

coffee is also a carcinogen .. Carcinogen (Carcinogenic, Carcinogenicity)

Any agent that is cancer-causing.

Here is something by ABC news that talks about the health benefits of coffee: http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Health/story?id=1074559

Coffee will drain you of some fluid, so replenish with water. However, I have more noticed sugars (like in soda) affect my skin, not so much the caffeine from coffee. I have been reading more and more about how coffee is good for your body in a lot of ways. As with anything though, always in moderation. If you notice it affecting your skin or other areas of your health negatively, then stop.

Coffee shops have been around for many centuries, and I think they started in Turkey if I remember my lectures properly. The whole "Starbucks" concept isn't new, only better marketed.

SmashingPumpkins - I have found that doing a water fast once a week will eliminate the "crutch" on coffee.

I do also enjoy white/green tea. Those are more afternoon/evening drinks for me though.

thats all i drinki actually is water once a while juice .. but it seems like latrely i ahev been drinking more coffee .. not only is it a carcinogen but i think to get the health benefits of coffee u should dirnk it black bc .. getting a Dunkin Donuts coffe is basically pure sugar and that won't benefit u much .. but i think drinking black coffee and tea would be best bc tea helps gets rid of any free radicals and carcinogens but still .. i think i shall juss hold off on coffee .. :( but it tastes so good lol nothing like a dunkin donuts coffee.

It doesn't make a bit of difference in my acne if I quit or drink it. I have tried both ways to test my acne and it made no difference.

I have gradually been switching to green tea. I love coffee but I only drink it if invited to. I did this just to be on the safe side, which, although I was addicted to coffee, has not been that hard since I am a "health nut obsessed freak" - as named by aggravated people around me.

I drink my coffee black and always have... at work I usually drink one or two small cups a day, plus a diet coke in the afternoon. Haven't had caffeine in a week because I had surgery and haven't had much of anything to eat at all, and I haven't had any withdrawl.

How about a little experiment with me as the guinea pig? I've had no caffeine for 1 week... let's try for 4 weeks and see if it makes a difference in my skin... Shall I?

I think whats really bad about coffee is all the sugar and the artificial creamers we put in them. I drink 1/2 cup of coffee about twice a week at work ( i switch between tea and coffee). I use fresh soy milk as cream and raw cane sugar. so far so good.. no break outs.. (knock on wood)

Guest Grow_To_Overthrow

Coffee is a stimulant, i'd avoid drinking alot of it. Perhaps 1 every couple of days. Depends how anal you are with the whole acne-diet thing. Definately don't have sugar in it. Don't use any sweeteners either. That's all BAD.

I guess what i'm saying is if you don't avoid any particular foods because of acne, then simply cutting out coffee wont do alot.

i have been thinking a lot about this lately, and i believe that it is not so important what you are eating/drinking but what you are NOT if that makes sense.

the way i see it is that food is food and your body will take what it needs and get rid of the rest, what i think may be the answer here is the things your body is not getting. ie any deficiencies in your diet. if you have a balanced diet and drink coffee i dont believe your skin could possibly suffer as a result (specific allergies excluded). but if you dont have a balanced diet then drinking coffee definitely wont help your skin.

what im trying to say is dont think of eliminating certain foods to control acne, think instead of including all major vitamins and minerals in your diet - or supplements if this is not possible. it is not what we are eating that is causing acne but the things we are missing out on.. for example most ppl are deficient in zinc, zinc is important for the health of the skin.

so i reckon enjoy the coffee but think about what you may be missing in your diet..

Hey newton, a great sweetener that is not sugar and made from a cactus is Agave. It is very healthy for you and will not cause problems with acne. I quit sugar with a naturopaths care and he told me to use agave for sweetening now. It really is great. It is at the health food store.

Agave is good because it's a whole food sweetener like raw honey, Sucanet and organic maple syrup - unrefined so it still has it's minerals so it doesn't upset the bodies own balance as much. It's also good because it's the lowest glycemic sweetener on the market besides non-sugar ones. But it is a concentrated sugar nonetheless, and should only be used in moderation. Stevia is the best sweetener overall, because it has no sugar, does not spike blood sugar, is all natural / herbal and has 30 years of Japanese use in diet sodas and thousands of years of historical use in South America to back up it's safety. With that said stevia can taste a little strange in coffee, you'd have to find a good brand - maybe Wild Oats liquid extract. Stevia can be very versatile nonetheless - salad dressings, plain yogurt, sweet Thai curries, any kind of tea, and hot oatmeal / hot cereals are all things that go well with it as a sweetener. The green, unrefined stevia has additional health benefits while the white, concentrated stevia has just the sweetening.

I just buy it in bulk at a food co-op, don't know any brands really. The refined, white stevia is a lot easier to come by, any health store will have it (and maybe the green). They both serve their own purposes though, because the green comes along with it's own little minty flavor while the white is just pure sweetness.

Coffee is an antioxident, so I hear. One year coffee is known to cause cancer, the next year it's great for you. It's a lot better than soda, if you drink it black.

Yeah it's like a lot of people in alternative health will never embrace coffee as a healthful beverage, while the people that drink it daily are apt to hear whatever information that it's good. My personal opinion is it's a double edged sword just like red wine or green tea, all of them have good and bad things about them. The best antioxidant, though, is the actual coffee BERRY and you can now buy it in supplement form, it's supposed to be extremely healthy, much more so then any regular berry you could buy in a supermarket (and those are already considered the healthiest of all fruits!).