Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

got a new bar of soap..packet says hypo allergenic suitable for sensitive and problem skin. ingredents list says extra virgin olive oil, palm kernal oil, natural spring water and fragrance.

does anyone know if this is potentially pore clogging? any thoughts appreciated

got a new bar of soap..packet says hypo allergenic suitable for sensitive and problem skin. ingredents list says extra virgin olive oil, palm kernal oil, natural spring water and fragrance.

does anyone know if this is potentially pore clogging? any thoughts appreciated

First off, how can anything be hypoallergenic, yet contain fragrance is beyond me! I would steer clear of this soap(?), and buy yourself the CSR cleanser. I don't know about clogging pores, but that fragrance could surely irritate your skin, and lead to breakouts...don't use it :naughty:

yeah good point bruce..thanks heaps for your replying

Hey no prob, I'm on the dye, fragrance and shaving patrol :lol:

Generally the ingredients that keep bar cleansers in bar form can be absorbed into the skin to clog pores.

Also, are you sure that's the complete ingredients list? What's the soap's name?

The oils you mentioned are probably saponified oils if it truly is a bar soap. These are basically the result of a chemical reaction between lye and various oils, and can be irritating to the skin.

In addition, bar cleansers typically have alkaline pH's, which can interfere with the effectiveness of your BHA product and encourage bacterial growth.

Something to keep in mind: cosmetics companies can basically claim whatever they want regarding the gentleness of a product. The same rule applies to claims like "non-comedogenic." This is because these claims have no regulations. The best way to determine how good a product is for your skin type is to read the ingredients list. A good ingredients dictionary can be found here:

http://www.cosmeticscop.com/learn/dictionary.asp?TYPE=MAIN

If you decide to keep on using this bar soap, wait fifteen minutes before applying your Paula's Choice BHA product to prevent a reduction in its effectiveness. Better yet, use a truly gentle liquid cleanser like any from the Paula's Choice line or Neutrogena's Extra-Gentle Cleanser.

thanks again for your advice snow queen..you always seem to answer my questions so quickly and throughly

i recently started using a soap with a ph of 8,5 made of olive oil, palm oil, glycerin and water.

its been doing my skin much more good than any of those lower ph liquid cleansers.

reedman thats interesting. the soap i have is by a company called Priya www.priyasoap.com.au and the box says "natures olive oil soap, pure vegetable oil no animal fat" on the back it says ingredents: extra virgin olive oil, palm kernel, natural spring water and fragrance. thats all the ingredents it lists which is why i thought it may be a good facial soap. however as snow queen pointed out im loving my paulas choice liquid and i dont want my chioce of cleanser to interfere with that, so i think i will stick with cephaphil.

Here is a non-ancedotal link regarding how alkaline products harm the skin:

"At higher pH, skin is more permeable and absorbs more chemicals. Higher alkalinity also may encourage bacterial growth, causing infections that worsen skin problems."

http://www.cdc.gov/elcosh/docs/d0300/d000303/d000303.html

I should note that the above article is primarily talking about strongly alkaline materials like wet cement, but the quote I posted should not be overlooked, and the article overall supports the use of products having a neutral pH or lower.

Here is another non-ancedotal article that specifically talks about soaps:

http://www.infoderm.com/las/cleansing/content.html

It mentions the superfatted soaps that are apparently quite popular now, but notice how the article says, "Superfatted soaps contain increased amounts of fat or oil in an attempt to leave a protective film of oil on the skin." The choice of words to me implies that superfatted soaps are still problematic to the skin; also, the film they leave does not sound very good for the pores.

Snow Queen,

What about Dr Bronner's 18 in 1 tea tree soap? I know it's made from sapofied olive and hemp oils...

Snow Queen, good advice on soap... it's basic and pretty bad for skin. Back in the day people were afraid of soap because it damages skin... and you can use it to kill stuff. Today's soap won't kill you (especially mild ones like Dove and Olay), but in general I try to stay away from soap on my face and use a soap-free cleanser myself. (I'm using Cetaphil)

the best soap-free product is Basis Vitamin Bar it is so gentle and moisturizing makes my skin look great afterwards and does not over dry it at all! It is also bigger then most soap-free products so it lasts much longer.

Description

Provides skin-caring Vitamins C, E and B5 to soften and condition skin as it cleans.

Ingredients

Sodium Palmate; Sodium Cocoate; Sodium Palm Kernelate; Triple Purified Water; Glycerin; Sorbitol; Stearic Acid; PPG-10 Methyl Glucose Ether; Orange Extract; Chamomile Extract; Cucumber Extract; Aloe Vera Extract; Oat Flour; Fragrance; Retinol (Vitamin A); Pantothenic Acid (Vitamin B5); Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C); Tocopherol (Vitamin E); Pentasodium Pentetate; Tetrasodium Etidronate; D&C Orange No. 4; FD&C Red No. 40

the best soap-free product is Basis Vitamin Bar it is so gentle and moisturizing makes my skin look great afterwards and does not over dry it at all! It is also bigger then most soap-free products so it lasts much longer.

Description

Provides skin-caring Vitamins C, E and B5 to soften and condition skin as it cleans.

Ingredients

Sodium Palmate; Sodium Cocoate; Sodium Palm Kernelate; Triple Purified Water; Glycerin; Sorbitol; Stearic Acid; PPG-10 Methyl Glucose Ether; Orange Extract; Chamomile Extract; Cucumber Extract; Aloe Vera Extract; Oat Flour; Fragrance; Retinol (Vitamin A); Pantothenic Acid (Vitamin B5); Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C); Tocopherol (Vitamin E); Pentasodium Pentetate; Tetrasodium Etidronate; D&C Orange No. 4; FD&C Red No. 40