Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I've had acne starting at age 11...now i'm almost 18. Over the years I've gotten more and more depressed. I seldom leave the house, and I have become terrified of mirrors. I'm really at a loss as what to do...I've tried every medication under the sun, except Accutane.. High school was awful for me, I developed a social phobia because of my acne, and I became a hermit, hiding away. I cannot look anyone in the eye...I just feel so ugly. Everyone I know have perfect faces. It's not fair. I want to be normal again- i miss the days where I had no worries- its a constant battle. I'm terrified to start college, because I'll have to be with people all the time, and won't be able to hide behind my make up. For some reason I tell myself i don't deserve to have friends or date, because i believe i'm so ugly. Mostly, I keep to myself now. I don't want to be like this whole "poor me" deal, but this has become my life, and I feel trapped. I can't talk to anyone I know about this, because no one understands- they have perfect skin and can do anything they want without having to worry.

We sound similar, but if my math figures correctly, you've got just shy of a year on me. I'm relishing that it's summer...hardly any obligations. I hole up in my house, keep in touch with my friends through a safe, preferably lengthy distance via the telephone. I recently quit my job (as a waitress, talk about putting yourself out there...good god.) Takes confidence. I didn't quit because of my skin, so much as some internal affairs issues, and I'm heading to Chicago in about a week...but I'd be lying through my teeth if I said I wasn't crazy-relieved. I'm sorry. I wish there was something I could tell you that would fix everything, and put it all in perspective. Because, then I'd I tell you, and if you were nice, you'd say it back to me. ;)

Oh, and I gave up on mirrors. Mine's covered with a sheet.

Best of luck...!

We sound similar, but if my math figures correctly, you've got just shy of a year on me. I'm relishing that it's summer...hardly any obligations. I hole up in my house, keep in touch with my friends through a safe, preferably lengthy distance via the telephone. I recently quit my job (as a waitress, talk about putting yourself out there...good god.) Takes confidence. I didn't quit because of my skin, so much as some internal affairs issues, and I'm heading to Chicago in about a week...but I'd be lying through my teeth if I said I wasn't crazy-relieved. I'm sorry. I wish there was something I could tell you that would fix everything, and put it all in perspective. Because, then I'd I tell you, and if you were nice, you'd say it back to me. ;)

Oh, and I gave up on mirrors. Mine's covered with a sheet.

Best of luck...!

Thank you..that lifted my mood a bit:)

Id say if you have had it that long then you need to go on accutane - i start in a couple of days after having in for 10 years. Always avoided it as i thought i could clear it up myself but its a pointless battle and now at least i hop it should be gone in 5 months. So i have stopped fighting it and its a relief.

Just know that one day it will be gone and just imagine how happy you will feel and how much you will appreciate the simple things in life....one day but get the ball rolling.

good luck :pray: