Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mollyyy

breakouts =(

i'm a 17 year old girl with mild to moderate acne, and i started the regimen recently (i'm roughly 4 or 5 weeks into it.) before starting the regimen, i used acnefree (basically a cheaper immitation version of proactiv) and it seemed to tame my redness a bit and my face was a lot smoother. but of course, it didn't really do much for my acne, so i decided to try the regimen.

i started out using cetaphil cleanser, neutrogena on-the-spot and cetaphil moisturizer and i noticed that within a few days, my only two large pimples shrank. (i still had a lot of small pimples on my forehead and cheeks.) then, when my on-the-spot ran out and dan's bp arrived and i started to use the gel, i've noticed my acne has gotten worse; many pimples have shown up within the past few days. i feel as though the regimen may not work for me, but i'm hoping to see improvement as i stick with this.

should i switch back to on-the-spot? or does it not really make a difference? i've watched the videos many times and i've read the mistakes section on the site, so i know i'm not making any mistakes.

thanks. =)

almost all members find dans CSR gel better than on the spot etc.

how long have you been on the regimen>?

because unless its longer than 1-2months then its normal to get "breakouts" etc.

bp needs time to adjust to your skin and your skin to adjust to bp.

the 1st month or so is very rocky im affraid but its worth it as ul clear up soon enough :D

hang in there and just be gentle in application

Try a better moisturizer or less moisturizer. That's what's probably causing you to breakout.

i would get the nutroegena sp? stuff again i felt that it worked the best for me!!!! it cleared me up fast

good luck'

anna

if your skin responded better to on-the-spot, then feel free to go back to it. The important thing is getting you clear.

But if you are new to the CSR gel, do consider giving it a few weeks, as sometimes skin wants to rebel when we switch products.

Both products are 2.5% so theoretically they should both work fine. My bet is your skin is just adjusting to the new product.

thanks for all the replies. =) i haven't gone back to this page until today, so sorry for the delayed response.

it seems that ever since this post my breakouts have decreased. my mom even noted how my skin has seemed to clear up a bit (although she thinks it's because that during the summer i don't have a slice of pizza everyday for lunch like i do when i'm at school.) it's definitely the csr though.

i can't wait until my skin completely clears. there are only 3 pimples on my forehead and i hope they decrease within the next few weeks.

also: is it normal for skin to have a burning sensation while and after i apply my bp? it's not too bad, and i find that the burning sensation goes away within a few minutes. (i've been using bp for a few months now, but started the csr on the first of july, so i know that my skin is used to the bp.) i don't think i'm adding too much, and it seems as though when i add more it is more effective against my breakouts.

thanks.

in the first few stages of the regimen, its normal. furthermore u have just changed BP, so i think your skin is adapting to the change. it is also normal to experience a burning sensation while applying moisturizer.

give it a few more weeks with dan's BP gel.. if it doesnt work, feel free to switch back to on-the-spot.

with regards to BP amount used, start with a small amount and slowly increase it to a full finger .

good luck!

in the first few stages of the regimen, its normal. furthermore u have just changed BP, so i think your skin is adapting to the change. it is also normal to experience a burning sensation while applying moisturizer.

give it a few more weeks with dan's BP gel.. if it doesnt work, feel free to switch back to on-the-spot.

with regards to BP amount used, start with a small amount and slowly increase it to a full finger .

good luck!

thanks. =)

although something bad happened today. i couldn't find my bp gel, and had to run out of the house, so i had some barely used clearasil 10% bp lying around and i decided to use it. (because i didn't want to skip an application.) big mistake. my face is now red where i applied the bp (cheeks are extra rosy, as well as chin and forehead), and when i applied my bp a half an hour ago, it started BURNING. ow, it hurts. i've definitely learned my lesson when it comes to using 10% bp. (even though i didn't use that much, i won't use it again.)

anyway. this burning sensation is veryyy strong now. should i skip a few applications to let my skin heal? or suck it up and continue using a tad less bp gel?

Sounds like you're very sensitive to BP...possibly even allergic? BP takes some getting used to, but you really shouldn't have a persistent burning sensation unless you used too much of that 10% stuff (a likely case, I guess). I'd give your skin a day or two to rest (don't worry if you break out over this time period, it was going to happen whether you applied BP or not since you're still early in the regimen). Use lots of a good oil-free moisturizer to calm your skin and help with the dryness and flaking you'll have from using too much 10% BP. Then once the dryness and irritation has subsided, start back up with small amounts of the 2.5% (and get rid of that 10% so that you aren't tempted again). If you still burn, then stop using BP since you'd probably be allergic.

Sounds like you're very sensitive to BP...possibly even allergic? BP takes some getting used to, but you really shouldn't have a persistent burning sensation unless you used too much of that 10% stuff (a likely case, I guess). I'd give your skin a day or two to rest (don't worry if you break out over this time period, it was going to happen whether you applied BP or not since you're still early in the regimen). Use lots of a good oil-free moisturizer to calm your skin and help with the dryness and flaking you'll have from using too much 10% BP. Then once the dryness and irritation has subsided, start back up with small amounts of the 2.5% (and get rid of that 10% so that you aren't tempted again). If you still burn, then stop using BP since you'd probably be allergic.

thanks so much for the advice.

i don't think i'm allergic to bp because i had previously used acnefree (a proactiv knockoff, basically) and my skin was fine. i think that i may have been using way too much bp ever since i switched to dan's gel, and the 10% application certainly didn't help.

so i'm going to lay off the bp for a couple of days.

should i still use my cetaphil cleanser on the break? or just wash with soap?

thanks so much for the advice.

i don't think i'm allergic to bp because i had previously used acnefree (a proactiv knockoff, basically) and my skin was fine. i think that i may have been using way too much bp ever since i switched to dan's gel, and the 10% application certainly didn't help.

so i'm going to lay off the bp for a couple of days.

should i still use my cetaphil cleanser on the break? or just wash with soap?

Use Cetaphil or a similar non-medicated, gentle liquid wash (like Purpose or Dan's cleanser). Bars of soap can be really drying and may also have a lot of fragrance, which you don't want on your sensitive skin after it has been irritated by all that BP. Do wash your face gently and moisturize, but lay off the BP for a bit.