Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi everyone,

Here's my situation: I'm 23 and have had mild to moderate acne for 8 years. It's the type that is very persistent and unresponsive to over-the-counter medication, as well as every Rx I've tried: Differin gel, retin-A, Evoclin, Tazerac, etc.. I had little success with 6+ dermatologists. The last derm put me on Accutane but pulled me at week 8 for no reason (think it might have been an insurance issue or something related to IPLEDGE...thought it was very unprofessional.) I had really started to clear up and am fairly convinced that Accutane is effective for my problem--but I've completely relapsed with my acne. 6 months later, I want to finish what I started and try again.

I'm looking for a dermatologist in New York City who is willing to prescribe Accutane to someone who doesn't have SEVERE acne but active acne nonetheless. can somebody recommend a doctor to me by e-mail? [email protected]

I work now and don't have that much time to experiment with different derms anymore...please help me! Thanks!

I don't know of any specifically in manhattan (I live in queens), but i'm sure there are probably around 4 million, heh. Even though I live in queens, I still use a derm from when I lived on Long Island (which might be a little far for you - Nassau County), but he was recently voted one of the best derms in the NYC area or the country or something like that. As far as accutane and him, after i tried doxy and then mino and got nowhere, he offered to put me on accutane if I wanted (my acne is mild - moderate), but because of other health/liver issues, I had to pass on it.

I dont know if that'll help you, but if you want his name, address, and number, send me a PM.

The last derm put me on Accutane but pulled me at week 8 for no reason (think it might have been an insurance issue or something related to IPLEDGE...thought it was very unprofessional.)

And you didnt ask why? You got a mouth use and ask why you were taken off. :rolleyes:

The last derm put me on Accutane but pulled me at week 8 for no reason (think it might have been an insurance issue or something related to IPLEDGE...thought it was very unprofessional.)

And you didnt ask why? You got a mouth use and ask why you were taken off. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the suggestions guys, but Paramus and Long Island are a bit of a ways off. About why I was taken off Accutane, the point was that the derm was being extremely vague about his reasoning. I was late for 6 days from my scheduled appt (during which I didn't have any lapse in treatment b/c I had extras), and his "reason" was that "they" only let you do it precisely on schedule and if you miss it, you're done. I did ask, and he was bumbling around his explanation...that's why I suspect it was a financial or convenience decision, neither of which would be professional to disclose.

It's not that ur derm didnt want to . . . HE COULDN'T.

The IPLEDGE program is so strict. even if he did prescribe it the pharmacy wouldn't have filled it.

how could you do that to yourself? i mean i dont agree with the bureaucracy around accutane but didnt u read the IPLEDGE material?

my only suggestion is get a prescription from your GP and go get it filled in canada. but if ur female that wont work.

The IPLEDGE program is so strict. even if he did prescribe it the pharmacy wouldn't have filled it.

how could you do that to yourself? i mean i dont agree with the bureaucracy around accutane but didnt u read the IPLEDGE material?

my only suggestion is get a prescription from your GP and go get it filled in canada. but if ur female that wont work.

well a critical situation came up at work (don't criticize me on this) and i had to reschedule for the next earliest time. and i think i was on accutane before the IPLEDGE program started (never heard of it until afterwards).

well a critical situation came up at work (don't criticize me on this) and i had to reschedule for the next earliest time. and i think i was on accutane before the IPLEDGE program started (never heard of it until afterwards).

that sux! so u got caught in the storm. for like a month or two after march 2006 u couldnt get accutane cause the ipledge was started without proper support and the system crashed.

Hey I live in nyc and my derm just started the process of getting me on accutane. My acne isn't even that bad, I have flare-ups and oily skin but it was enough for him to prescribe it for me. I started seeing him a few months ago and told him my history (antibiotics/lots of topical stuff) so he put me on another antibiotic and tazorac to see how that would work. I saw him 8 weeks later and there was no miracle change so I just suggested in a sheepish sorta voice, "accutane?" and he was like, haven't you already been on that? and I told him no so he was like, "oh, okay" and immediately started the process for me. I got my initial bloodwork done that day and will get my prescription in 4 weeks after the second blood test (ipledge is really really retarded). My dermatologist says the paperwork was crazy when they first implemented the ipledge stuff but now they seem to have the system down and aren't afraid to deal with it. I really recommend him. He's part of beth israel hospital and his office is right at union square, on 14th street. It's a whole office full of dermatologists and I'm sure they probably all will be supportive in prescribing accutane but my doc's name is Dr. Mizuguchi.

Hey I live in nyc and my derm just started the process of getting me on accutane. My acne isn't even that bad, I have flare-ups and oily skin but it was enough for him to prescribe it for me. I started seeing him a few months ago and told him my history (antibiotics/lots of topical stuff) so he put me on another antibiotic and tazorac to see how that would work. I saw him 8 weeks later and there was no miracle change so I just suggested in a sheepish sorta voice, "accutane?" and he was like, haven't you already been on that? and I told him no so he was like, "oh, okay" and immediately started the process for me. I got my initial bloodwork done that day and will get my prescription in 4 weeks after the second blood test (ipledge is really really retarded). My dermatologist says the paperwork was crazy when they first implemented the ipledge stuff but now they seem to have the system down and aren't afraid to deal with it. I really recommend him. He's part of beth israel hospital and his office is right at union square, on 14th street. It's a whole office full of dermatologists and I'm sure they probably all will be supportive in prescribing accutane but my doc's name is Dr. Mizuguchi.

thank you. i did find a dermatologist who was willing to put me on 5-month full strength accutane (80mg) right away. being male helps by waiving the 30 day waiting period, so i started the day I saw the doctor. Hope all goes well for both of us! My face is currently breaking out as expected with the first week of treatment, but if I remember my first round of accutane, it got better soon after the first week.

thank you. i did find a dermatologist who was willing to put me on 5-month full strength accutane (80mg) right away. being male helps by waiving the 30 day waiting period, so i started the day I saw the doctor. Hope all goes well for both of us! My face is currently breaking out as expected with the first week of treatment, but if I remember my first round of accutane, it got better soon after the first week.

which derm are u using