Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ErynG54

Ran into a guy I haven't seen since High School

In short, I have disgusting skin up close. Not only is it covered in pimples, the overall quality/tone of it is horrendous. It's been especially bad lately. I look like a monster. I take the bus to/from work and always dread running into people I know but who I haven't seen in a long time because I know they'll be thinking "wtf happened to her face?". I usually walk with my head down in public because I do not want to see people staring at my face. After work today I got on the bus, and as usual had my head down. Suddenly a guy called out my name and so I looked up. It was this guy I haven't seen since high school (6 years ago!!!). Back in high school I had really good skin so I was absolutely mortified to see him. In fact I'm surprised he even recognized me. Anyways, I was feeling extremely down all day as it was because of my face. I can hardly concentrate at work because all I think about is my skin. Seeing this guy just made me feel worse. He had a bit of a thing for me back in high school so it's so depressing and embarrasing that he had to see what's happened to me. Ahhh it sucks running into people who knew you in the good old days...sigh

hmm, high school was .........ok for me I dunno don't really talk with them unless I see them out in random places

what did he say though after he saw you?

hope it went well even though it didn't sound that good

just try not to worry much bout the past

good luck

hmm, high school was .........ok for me I dunno don't really talk with them unless I see them out in random places

what did he say though after he saw you?

hope it went well even though it didn't sound that good

just try not to worry much bout the past

good luck

Well we actually talked the whole way home and had a really good conversation. I just felt so disgusting the whole time because of my face and knew he was wondering what had happened to my skin. I just hate running into people who knew me before acne. I didn't get acne until after high school so it's embarrasing to run into people who remember me with good skin.

"I usually walk with my head down in public because I do not want to see people staring at my face."

I'm incredibly self-conscious about my skin and it drives me nuts, primarily from extreme oil, clogged pores, etc., but with all the possible treatment projects, topical and internal, etc. it seems everyone should be able to keep their skin somewhat in control such that they can at least keep their head up, including you!

I've been able to more or less keep the inflamatory acne under control over the years, but still my skin has major issues. I don't regularly keep my head down in public, but I've had more than my fair share of very large cysts that look like an baby alien is going to pop out, usu they're on my forehead where they can be spotted miles away, and, during those times, I definitely keep the public contact to a minimum. Fortunately, I'm not getting those massive suckers anymore, get some more medium sized cysts, but not the avoid-public sized cysts.

Oh well, just wanted to chime in to say the obvious, i.e., embark on the never-ending experimentation of various products, see a dermatologist, etc. to get a handle on the pimples, try to improve the texture, etc. if you haven't already embarked on that journey (I'm sure you have, but keep w/ it).

Also, wanted to say that when I have a huge sucker, or had, I would tell everyone about it so they didn't have to stare at it wondering wtf it was. I wouldn't tell complete strangers in the general public, though I would tell coworkers, friends, family etc.

An option next time you're in the situation you were in would be to be upfront and open about it. If he asked how you're doing, etc., say, "well my skin has gone into the shitter since high school and I'm trying to do everything I can to straighten it out. I can't figure it out. It sucks balls" (or something like that, perhaps a bit more ladylike?). Doing that makes me feel much more comfortable. You can bring it up, then put it to rest and enjoy the rest of the conversation.

Oh well, hang in there. Even though it seems like 99.99% of the people have near flawless skin, there are apparently a ton of us who fall far short. You're not alone. Seek treatment. AND KEEP YOUR HEAD UP!

Well we actually talked the whole way home and had a really good conversation. I just felt so disgusting the whole time because of my face and knew he was wondering what had happened to my skin. I just hate running into people who knew me before acne. I didn't get acne until after high school so it's embarrasing to run into people who remember me with good skin.

well at least you had a good conversation with him =)

but yeah I hear ya, I was clear until college it sucked, i was like what if they saw me what were they gonna think about me blah blah blah

i learned this though, u know who ur true friends are when u do have it =)

Ah, mate. I know the feeling - trust me.

It's been said over and over but it is true - other people really don't notice our skin or are bothered by it as much as we are ourselves.

It sounds like you need a little confidence boost. It can be tough, especially when you feel low because of your skin. My advice is to check out my CELEBS WITH ACNE thread and realise that everyone goes through it but you can't let it rule your life.

:hand:

Ah, mate. I know the feeling - trust me.

It's been said over and over but it is true - other people really don't notice our skin or are bothered by it as much as we are ourselves.

It sounds like you need a little confidence boost. It can be tough, especially when you feel low because of your skin. My advice is to check out my CELEBS WITH ACNE thread and realise that everyone goes through it but you can't let it rule your life.

:hand:

yeah well they can get expensive scar laser treatments and pretty much accutane all the time.........we can't

if he had a thing for you, he prob still likes you acne or no acne

ahh...unfortunately I wouldn't be too sure about that bit.

Many times since it's been many years since the interest, the interest most likely would've disappeared. What's worse is even had he been still interested, he probably had this image of her and if she has changed for the worse, it would only shatter that image he's held onto for so long.

Don't mean to put the original poster down at all. Just wanted to bring the other side of the argument to this statement.

Hey all,

Well thank you for the replies. This guy didn't have a tremendous crush on me or anything. We were friends...and his heart got completely broken by this girl and I was there for him when he needed someone to talk to. I heard later on that he had sort of had a thing for me after that. Anyways, a crazy thing happened today. He phoned me up and asked if I maybe wanted to get together tomorrow night! I'm not sure if it's just two friends catching up or what. We'll have to see...if it's more than that...then he must not have gotten a good look at the really bad side of my face or something! :confused:

Hey all,

Well thank you for the replies. This guy didn't have a tremendous crush on me or anything. We were friends...and his heart got completely broken by this girl and I was there for him when he needed someone to talk to. I heard later on that he had sort of had a thing for me after that. Anyways, a crazy thing happened today. He phoned me up and asked if I maybe wanted to get together tomorrow night! I'm not sure if it's just two friends catching up or what. We'll have to see...if it's more than that...then he must not have gotten a good look at the really bad side of my face or something! :confused:

That's cool. Good luck :D

yo Eryn i'm a bloke myself and the only reason a guy would ever call up a girl is because he likes you so chill out on the whole paranoia thing of him thinking your ugly. if he got to like you in high school then he'll still like you know

oh yeah, and us guys are always horny haha

we (as in people with any form of acne) tend to think that everybody else focuses on acne as much as we do.. in most cases this is probably not so, so i keep hearing from people around me if i talk about acne.

have fun on your "date".