Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Posted

I have had acne for about 10 years now and I have almost always had active acne on my face, back and chest. The acne itself doesnt bother me that much..what pisses me off are the hyperpigmented marks that all spots leave behind..whether you pick them or not! (black skin has a huge tendency to do this)

Its got to a point now after I had (and I think I am still having) my most persistent outbreak in a while, that I cant go out without a high neck top and it absolutely ruined my holiday cos I didnt have the balls to wear a bikini cos the scars were (and still are) so much.

Its summer and I would love to get out there and show off some flesh like everyone else, but I hate to say that my blemishes are winning the battle but the war aint over yet and Im determined to win!

so could you tell me what you have used and worked best for clearing your dark marks

spottystarletx

Posted

I'm using scar remover containing Vit A and Allantoin. In addition, I also mix in toning, whitening masks, and fruit acid peel. Before, I wasn't able to face anyone with bare face or even with makeup coz the marks 'shine' through the heavy makeup. Now, I can face my friends without makeup, and with makeup on, it's much less visible that the new group of friends have been complimenting me that my skin is good condition!

Posted

I'm using scar remover containing Vit A and Allantoin. In addition, I also mix in toning, whitening masks, and fruit acid peel. Before, I wasn't able to face anyone with bare face or even with makeup coz the marks 'shine' through the heavy makeup. Now, I can face my friends without makeup, and with makeup on, it's much less visible that the new group of friends have been complimenting me that my skin is good condition!

i just checked out your site and wow! its a great improvement in a short time.

do you use both the eurocin and ordicine gels together? and where can you get that stuff cos I live in the UK and I have never heard of it before..

thanx

Posted

Try at home microdermabrasion. Its not as harsh as the professional ones, and it helped me out alot with forehead hyperpigmentation.

Once you get rid of the uneeded layers of skin, which should reduce some of the marks, you can deal with what your left with by using straight vitamin E, aloe vera, or cocoa butter.

Posted

Try at home microdermabrasion. Its not as harsh as the professional ones, and it helped me out alot with forehead hyperpigmentation.

Once you get rid of the uneeded layers of skin, which should reduce some of the marks, you can deal with what your left with by using straight vitamin E, aloe vera, or cocoa butter.

Any particular at home microdermbrasion? I am Black, and have dark browm skin.

Posted

hey,

its so nice to come across peeps with dark skin like mine so that we can share ideas. well right now my acne is under control thanks to a simple, and inexpensive regimen. after trying dozens of products and spending hundreds of dollars i finally found something that works. (i will post my regimen). however im still left with dark spots and melasma. my skin is so sensitive and i have to be careful what i put on it because it seems that everything breaks me out. but if your skin is not real sensitive like mine, my friends have had success with creams like fair and white, ambi, and topiclear(all with hydroquoinine), cocoa butter,shea butter, and palmers skin success.retin-a worked for me but it took about 6 months and my skin was real dry and flaky the whole time and also st.ives has an apple peel off mask-that also worked for me and helped my spots to fade in the past. i had microdermabrasion done at a doctors office-had about 10 treatments and i saw very little improvement. has anyone tried the neutrogena healthy skin lotion? also, i heard that products with retinol are excellent for dark spots. im thinking of trying neutrogena clear skin cream with retinol and salicylic acid.

a.m

neutrogena extra gentle cleanser

neutrogena acne defense lotion with salicylic acid

p.m.

same cleanser, followed by neutrogena on the spot all over face (yes, i love neutrogena products)

Posted

hey,

its so nice to come across peeps with dark skin like mine so that we can share ideas. well right now my acne is under control thanks to a simple, and inexpensive regimen. after trying dozens of products and spending hundreds of dollars i finally found something that works. (i will post my regimen). however im still left with dark spots and melasma. my skin is so sensitive and i have to be careful what i put on it because it seems that everything breaks me out. but if your skin is not real sensitive like mine, my friends have had success with creams like fair and white, ambi, and topiclear(all with hydroquoinine), cocoa butter,shea butter, and palmers skin success.retin-a worked for me but it took about 6 months and my skin was real dry and flaky the whole time and also st.ives has an apple peel off mask-that also worked for me and helped my spots to fade in the past. i had microdermabrasion done at a doctors office-had about 10 treatments and i saw very little improvement. has anyone tried the neutrogena healthy skin lotion? also, i heard that products with retinol are excellent for dark spots. im thinking of trying neutrogena clear skin cream with retinol and salicylic acid.

a.m

neutrogena acne defense lotion with salicylic acid

p.m.

same cleanser, followed by neutrogena on the spot all over face (yes, i love neutrogena products)

I second that! Alot of the information I find is for caucasian/ lighter skin, which doesnt apply to some of the problems that are 'special' to the darker skin. I am so glad I found this site!

The neutrogena clear skin cream sounds like a good bet (I love their body wash) but Im not sure if its available in the UK..will definitely check it out.

Posted

i have a friend , he is also black , i can barely see anything. he told me that if he had light colored skin his cheeks would be all full of marks and he feels he is lucky that he has dark skin.

wut color is ur pigmentation???

Posted

i have a friend , he is also black , i can barely see anything. he told me that if he had light colored skin his cheeks would be all full of marks and he feels he is lucky that he has dark skin.

wut color is ur pigmentation???

i am not light.. i think i have a skin tone colour somewhere between olive and brown (tell me if i am wrong!), and my scars are dark brown (like really dark) so there is an obvious contrast. heres a pix of my right cheek. its not very clear but you get an idea of how bad it is..

Posted

I have medium brown skin myself, and leftover dark marks...

So far, I'm considering trying apple cider vinegar, some product containing retinol (like the neutrogena anti-wrinkle anti-blemish lotion), manual exfoliation with St. Ives or a similar scrub, a glycolic acid product like Neutrogena healthy skin face lotion... I dunno, trying to think of more stuff here :)

Also, I highly recommend putting extra sunscreen on pimples as soon as they burst... I did that on a big pimple recently and the hyperpigmentation is far less than that from pimples I had months ago...

If you're going to go hardcore, apparently stuff with hydroquinone or kojic acid could work... but i don't want to try that stuff yet.

Posted

I am waiting for a 15% glycolic acid cream that my sister ordered for me..but for the past 3 days I think I have been using a 7.5% glycolic acid gel at night..and I dont know if I am looking too much for an improvement OR if its actually working OR if its the other bits of my regimen (see my log..) but the overall condition of my skin seems to be improving..both the dark marks and the spots.

I have also started using vit E oil on spots I have popped as I have no-self control when it comes to assaulting my spots and that also seems to work very well. I had one spot 2 days ago and it looked like it was gonna scar big time after I finished mutilating it but with the vit E it is healing so much faster and it doesnt look like I am gonna get a dark mark (touch wood) and this never happens! :dance:

Im gonna try not to get too excited and watch my use of glycolic acid and Vit E very closely to make sure that they are causing the improvement that I am seeing (though I am almost certain that this is the case)

Posted

i just started using neutrogena healthy skin lotion on monday for my dark spots and i must say im very impressed so far. my skin is already looking so smoother. of course the dark spots havent faded yet but i have a good feeling about this product. also,my skin is less oily since ive started using it. i will keep you guys posted.

new regimen

am

neutrogena healthy skin lotion

pm

neutrogena on the spot acne treatment

so simple,inexpensive and effective!! im loving this regimen!!!

Posted

oh i see my friend's much more darker that urs !!! his marks are barely noticable !!

Posted

oh i see my friend's much more darker that urs !!! his marks are barely noticable !!

thats my dilemma..everything is so visible and I am not a huge make up fan. they also take ages to clear up. you should see my back :( i have scars from a few years ago.

the glycolic acid cream is not doing a bad job..dark marks are better without a doubt. but im sure a higher % will work alot better so I cant wait till the cream I ordered arrives.

Posted

ok my cream has still not arrived and I have officially given up on it. I was abit (just abit) depressed about my skin yesterday and bought Garniers purifying peel kit.

will try it tonight and write up an update.

Posted

hello,

well i was seeing good results with the neutrogena healthy skin lotion but it was making my oily skin soooo greasy. it was embarrassing so i have now switched to neutrogena anti blemish anti wrinkle cream. im amazed by the results so far. the retinol is really good for the dark spots and making the skin tone more even. and my face is not as greasy as it was with the neutrogena healthy skin lotion. i really love this stuff. will stick with it and give an update in a couple weeks. so far no breakouts or irritation.

Posted

i have tried both of those products in the past and did not do much for me. then again, i have never been a big neutrogena fan.

Posted

who cares about the back LOL !

face clear first infront of everything else

Posted
I have had acne for about 10 years now and I have almost always had active acne on my face, back and chest. The acne itself doesnt bother me that much..what pisses me off are the hyperpigmented marks that all spots leave behind..whether you pick them or not! (black skin has a huge tendency to do this)

Its got to a point now after I had (and I think I am still having) my most persistent outbreak in a while, that I cant go out without a high neck top and it absolutely ruined my holiday cos I didnt have the balls to wear a bikini cos the scars were (and still are) so much.

Its summer and I would love to get out there and show off some flesh like everyone else, but I hate to say that my blemishes are winning the battle but the war aint over yet and Im determined to win!

so could you tell me what you have used and worked best for clearing your dark marks

spottystarletx

i found that using ACV works really well .. i recently bought Derma E Retinyl Palmitate Gel from vitacost.com so we will se ehow that wroks .. it says its for wrinkles but i know that Vit A is greta for ppl with oily skin .. buy the gel not the moisturizer bc the gel cna penetrate the pores deeper

Posted

Does anyone know a good glycolic cream i can purchase in the UK that won't blow a hole in my pocket? I was going to do hydroquinone but the thought of having hypopigmentation scares me more than the marks i have! How does glycolic acid help dark marks? does it speed up cell turnover?

Posted

Does anyone know a good glycolic cream i can purchase in the UK that won't blow a hole in my pocket? I was going to do hydroquinone but the thought of having hypopigmentation scares me more than the marks i have! How does glycolic acid help dark marks? does it speed up cell turnover?

Well I have given up on the vit E oil cos its so messy and you really need to do it consistently..and I am just lazy! I have also stopped using the 7.5% glycolic acid thing cos it wasnt working quick enough for me. The neutrogena pure peel seems like it would be quite good over time..but I'm too impatient and don't want to mix so many products so I have ordered glycolic acid from perfectskinuk.com - they are a UK company and their prices seem reasonable ..just have a look at the site. I'm not sure how its going to work but I'm just going to give it a trial period of 2 weeks and then review it. I have ordered the cleanser (10%), the lotion (12%) and the night cream for my face (15%) and I shall be using them daily.

As far as I know glycolic acid works by speeding cell turonver and so it reveals the 'new and nice' skin underneath. Its used for wrinkles, acne and hyperpigmentation. Its found in milk and thats why rich ancient Egyptians used to bath in it (so I have been told)

Does anyone know a good face suncream that won't cause break outs cos I have heard you need to use onw while using glycolic acid products?

Posted

Hey, have you tried azelaic acid? i've heard thats good for hyperpigmentation marks in darker skinned people. I'll probably ask my doctor about it.

Posted

Hey, have you tried azelaic acid? i've heard thats good for hyperpigmentation marks in darker skinned people. I'll probably ask my doctor about it.

i've been using azelaic acid and to be honest i haven't noticed much difference with the hyperpigmentation

Posted

i've been using azelaic acid and to be honest i haven't noticed much difference with the hyperpigmentation

How long have you been using it for? It says it takes about one month to see significant improvments.

Posted

my skin seems to be way too oily for any creams. even the retinol cream started making my face oily and sweaty. so now im using the pore refining toner with glycolic acid and salicylic acid. the two acids are supposed to work good on dark spots. so now im just using the cleanser and then the toner in the morning and cleanser and on the spot acne treatment at nite. its too hot right now, cant deal with the heavy creams. i read some reviews on the toner and they were good, some claimed that it lightened their spots and evened out their skin tone. so we will see...