Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

okay. so im reading everyones posts and all the talk about refined carbs and sugar and etc etc.

what is the difference between the sugars in fruits and the sugars in refined carbs and sugar? do they affect blood suagr levels the same way? and if they do, why can some people eat fruits without breaking out but eat bad sugars and break out? in my case i eat 3 or four servings of fruits everyday(mostly bananas, blueberries,strawberries, apples, apricots, blackberries,rasberries,pineapple,cantaloupe). can these fruits be the culprits of my pimples? i eat nothing but fruits veggies fish and lean chicken. which moves me to my next question.

which type of meat is the best? chicken, pork, or beef? and why?

and ive been trying to refine my diet. and i keep seeing gluten-free or wheat-gluten or gluten something. what is gluten?anything to do with glucose? thanks.

okay. so im reading everyones posts and all the talk about refined carbs and sugar and etc etc.

what is the difference between the sugars in fruits and the sugars in refined carbs and sugar? do they affect blood suagr levels the same way? and if they do, why can some people eat fruits without breaking out but eat bad sugars and break out? in my case i eat 3 or four servings of fruits everyday(mostly bananas, blueberries,strawberries, apples, apricots, blackberries,rasberries,pineapple,cantaloupe). can these fruits be the culprits of my pimples? i eat nothing but fruits veggies fish and lean chicken. which moves me to my next question.

which type of meat is the best? chicken, pork, or beef? and why?

and ive been trying to refine my diet. and i keep seeing gluten-free or wheat-gluten or gluten something. what is gluten?anything to do with glucose? thanks.

refined carbs cause the blood sugar to rise rapidly. Ever hear of the GI diet? well its the best one to go on as it makes sure your blood sugar doesnt rise rapidly and is released slowly meaning doesnt affect hormones and the like and cause excess sebum etc resulting in spots :D

Fruits have less sugar than refined foods such as white bread, its always best to eat wholegrains instead of bread to increase fibre intake and help keep blood sugar levels steady ;)

Chicken is probably the best as i read on most posts that people break out after eating pork and beef. It is harder to digest probably beef and pork.

Gluten is a protein found in wheat (home ec teaches sumthin :D haha) coelics cannot digest it and many people find it causes breakouts. Gluten-free products are basically foods that dont have it and are WIDELY available..even in pasta :D.I dont think it has anythin to do with glucose altho cant be sure ..sorry just tryin to help hope it does a little bit :doh:

Yep, because fruit has soluble fiber it slows down energy release. You want a slow source of energy, not explosive.

Another reason is that refined carbs have more surface area. Sugar and especially flour have more surface area to be digested.

what is the difference between the sugars in fruits and the sugars in refined carbs and sugar? do they affect blood suagr levels the same way? and if they do, why can some people eat fruits without breaking out but eat bad sugars and break out?

I was reading about this today, got intrigued... Basically, everything eventually gets used for the same purpose... just in different ways.

Cellular respiration (making energy): Glucose + Oxygen = ATP + Carbon Dioxide (Well, it's a heck of a lot more complicated than this, but that's it at its most basic level)

Both protein and carbohydrates can eventually be metabolized into glucose. It just depends how you want to get there. Generally, your body likes to save the protein for building muscles and tissues and stuff and use the carbohydrates for energy. All carbohydrates are basically the same, and they can all be broken down in to glucose. What else you get in the process depends on the chemical composition of the sugar you're putting in. This in turn affects how your whole system uses it all (your pancreas and liver play big roles in it all... insulin, beta cells, alpha cells, glucagon... It's very complicated but quite fascinating!)

Don't know enough yet to be able to explain exactly WHY refined sugars are worse than other carbohydrates, but it has to do with molecular structure.

My theory? Good carbs: simple sugars from fruit and milk, complex carbohydrates from vegetables and whole grains. Good protein: some animal, some vegetable, all in moderation.

Your diet sounds very good to me. It may just be that your acne is not diet-related.

Refined sugars and refined foods in general are denatured and stripped of their parts. FOR EXAMPLE: Chromium is a mineral used for glucose metabolism, and as a result can help a little bit with blood sugar problems. The sugarcane plant is one of the best sources of chromium - however, in refining the whole cane juice into white sugar, we strip away all the minerals in the process. This is why molasses is a better choice, or unrefined dried cane juice (Sucanet and Rapadura are two brands). When you eat refined sugar, you upset the mineral balance in your body because your body has to use up extra minerals that you didn't get from the refined state of sugar. This is also why raw honey and organic maple syrup make better sugar alternatives. However, this doesn't make up for the fact that sugar is still bad, as well as addictive, and any sweetener besides stevia should be used in small amounts.

Fruits, though bred to be high in sugar, also have accompanying fiber to help lessen the blood sugar spike, as well as minerals so the mineral balance isn't upset, vitamins, antioxidants and phytonutrients. You still shouldn't have too many of them a day, but if you're really addicted to sugar then replacing sugary processed snacks with fruits is a really good step in the right direction.

The best meats are generally regarded as the leanest ones, so chicken and turkey would fall into this category. Personally the best meat for ME is fish, it's what I digest best and doesn't break me out. Too much red meat or even chicken can give me cysts. Suits me fine though, because sea food is my favorite.

Now listen: some people are carb types, some people are protein types and some are mixed, but everyone is different and no one diet works for everyone. You could be a carb type and that's why you're still breaking out. But I really don't know. Do you generally feel better if you eat lots of protein, red meat, and poultry, if you eat lots of grains, fruits, vegetables and some legumes? Going on a heavy meat diet for a couple weeks and a vegetarian diet for a couple after that could be a good way to find out, or theres metabolic tests online and in books to figure it out.