Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
2KFan

Spicy foods and Acne...

everyone thinks im nuts but i really think there is a connection. everytime i seem to eat jalapenos, pepperachonis, etc i seem to get a breakout.. this sucks as i love them...

well perhaps some chemicals in it aggravate ur acne?

because i don't break out when i eat hot food

and i eat REALLY hot food as well...

everyone thinks im nuts but i really think there is a connection. everytime i seem to eat jalapenos, pepperachonis, etc i seem to get a breakout.. this sucks as i love them...

The same thing happens to me when I eat very spicy food. I stay away from it now.

Same here. You may want to look into Traditional Chinese Medicine because they have an exact system for this, down to a point. Acne is considered a hot, damp condition. You want to avoid foods that are on the extreme end of the scale for your condition in Chinese medicine, so for acne this would mean no spicy foods and no heavily fried foods. Also, I believe dairy and sweets contributes to dampness, and red meat contributes to more heat. Good cooling foods would be celery and cucumbers, you could try having those after spicy foods if you know you're gonna be eating spicy and see if it helps. Dogsncats could tell you more about this.

But seriously, if you notice a connection for sure definitely look into TCM becaues they have a system for this that supports exactly what you just said. The cool thing about TCM is it was thought up thousands of years ago before anyone knew shit about science, but a lot of the things they've come up with agree with science today - it's all about balance, one of the things they say is you should balance sweet foods to sour and bitter ones, and modern research shows on the Western point of view that if you drink lemon juice in water after a sugary food, blood sugar doesn't get spiked as much and remains more stabile. Good stuff.

spicy food makes my face itch like crazy and the itchiness then turns to pimples :|

hey rubbersheep you have any good sites with chinese med info?

modern research shows on the Western point of view that if you drink lemon juice in water after a sugary food, blood sugar doesn't get spiked as much and remains more stabile. Good stuff.

Grapefruit juice and vinegar also do the same thing, lowering fasting glucose levels and insulin resistance.

I got a whole stack of Chinese medicine books from my library one time; The most helpful one was written by an American woman who practiced Chinese medicine. I don't even remember the name, but it was easy to understand and written for lay people. She said that American diets are very sweet (even wheat is considered sweet) and don't have enough bitter foods to counterbalance the sweetness. She said that's why we drink so much coffee, for the bitter taste we lack. Coffee is drying and heating so it can cause inflammation if you are susceptible. If your acne is mostly damp, coffee could theoretically dry some of it up.

Herbal treatments in chinese medicine have the same properties as foods (drying, heating, dampening, cooling) except they are much stronger. They might even be able to override an overly sweet and hot diet, but just modifying the diet could be enough to clear the skin.

not here to judge so i won't call you nuts.. it could very well be that it works that way for you, after having moderate & the last several years minor acne i still haven't figured out if it's related to things i eat.. call yourself lucky if you found a 'reason'.

well thats not the only "reason", i think dairy, chocolate, gluten also affect it.... oh weee... :wall:

And those all affect my acne, and they are supported by Chinese Medicine to mess with acne in general too. You're on the right road though.

Rudeboy: Once you know your triggers it makes treating acne 10x easier through diet. Without knowing them, you're lost in a complicated world with no map to find your way around. You can find out what's causing breakouts by getting an allergy test, by doing a hypoallergenic diet for a few weeks then slowly adding back in items, or just by observing on a day to day basis by keeping a journal of what foods you eat when, and what days you break out and try to find a connection. But it's my fullest belief that there IS a connection, the people that love to say "diet and acne aren't related" are not only a dermatologists dream because they're easy to make money off,but they also fail to realize that what they say contradicts what medicine has been figuring out through thousands of years of experience - you are what you eat.

i eat spicy food like kim chee often, and it doesn't seem to aggravate my face, in fact i heard kim chee can help people with acne. But maybe other spicy foods could aggravate it, not sure.

Kimchee could balance things since it's cabbage based and cabbage is cooling. Also I believe the fermented value of kimchi would make the cabbage even more cooling.