Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

So today was the first day in years I allowed my self to walk around without makeup. It is not because I am cleared up, but it is because I am tired of hiding and truly want to accept myself whether the acne goes away or not. Well, I go to this grocery store and this guy tries to sell me this herbal tea he makes. He was talking about how his tea will help women balance hormones which I know is my issue. Well we talked for a while and I told him yes I have hormonal issues. He responds,"Oh yeah, is that why you have that breakout on the bottom of your face?" I said calmly,"Yes, I am going to an acupuncturist tomorrow for that. Thank you for your time." I walked away and thought, ok, this was a real test to see if I really accept myself. I kept telling myself I didn't care that he pointed it out, but now i am in tears and I feel so sad. The only day I didn't wear makeup, someone pointed out my flaws. It was painful. Just thought I would share. I am still gonna try not wearing makeup, but that really pushed me over into a bad place inside. :(:(:(

I wear make-up about 50% of the time. When I wear it I even forget I have it on, but other people treat me so much better. When I don't wear make-up people treat me like I am a street person, kind of disgusted and sick. Maybe I'm weak, but I like it when people look me in the eye and smile at me and help me. Who wants to be the leper?

Bethann- I know what you mean about just wanting to feel normal. I just want my skin to clear and wonder if the makeup makes it worse..even non-comedegenic

Thanks I Love New Zealand- he really was. I don't know what his point of saying this to me was! To buy his tea? Gosh, I can't buy anymore products. I need to just stick to what I am doing.

I think I drew this situation to me because I expected it. I think what we expect to happen will if it charged with a lot of emotion.

You know what, the same thing happened to me a few days ago. Usually I won't leave the house w/o make-up & for a few minutes I was contemplating putting on cover up. I finally had the courage to leave the house w/o makeup. That day I worked a double shift and I didn't really see anyone all day. I was so tired. The first thing my grandma said when she saw me walk in the door was that my face looked horrible and I need to see a doctor. It really hurt :( I stayed in my room all night and listened to some music

I am sorry she said that to you. My dad said something to me once like that. I don't think people realize how much this tears us apart. Why don't they comment on something good and help us to focus on the good stuff.

I just cannot stand people who do that. For one, I KNOW that i have it there, and SECOND, I dont need an moron like yourself to point it out for me.

Cheer up love

And they cant let it go either, say its a close friend that mentions it...they go on and on about it and suggest products, yet they have never had acne in their life.

Oh and I hate when people talk about things they know that cleared skin in my presence and then look at me like hint hint....

I know what you mean about the hint, hint part.

I was talking with someone at work who saw Opra Winfrey years several years ago. I was saying how much I liked Opra. This woman says to me completely out of the context of the converstation, "Opra has beautiful skin."

I just looked at her speechless knowing full well and good that that comment was directed at my awful looking skin.

Call me overly sensitive but I get this kind of crap all the time with people making indirect references to my skin. I would rather they just come out and say what they mean rather than trying to use subliminal messaging.

Then when you take offense they say oh that's not what I meant at all.

My friend's mom works for this beauty company and one day she had a bunch of catalogs in her backback. She came up to me with a catalog and said, "Beth, I know you have breakouts all over your face. There's some stuff in here you might want to try."

...She made a direct blow. And it hurt. I took a catalog and when she wasnt looking, I scribbled on it and ripped it up.

My skin is somewhat better now, but it still really sucks that that guy had the nerves to say that to your face.

If that was me I don't know what I'd do, probably run away or attack the guy lol

That was good of you though, well done. Try not to feel bad about it. There's always going to be people like that who are clueless and insensitive to touchy subjects like acne but you took the first step to going out without makeup and you shouldn't let one knock back from one idiot stop you from feeling comfortable in your skin.

The last time I didn't wear makeup to school this annoying little cow said "why are you so spotty for christie?" "I was just like "because I have my periods" but I didn't even. I wish I had something smart to say to her like "the same reason you are so stupid and tactless" but I don't think that would have done much good or made much sense to her.

I let that incident get to me. You'll never see me out and about without make up, without a few hours of preparation before leaving the house. It's really sad. I feel like I'm so fake and I'm a walking lie. God forbid anyone ever saw me without it, they'd see my true ugly self. That's what I think anyway, it's a hard habit to break, more of an addiction but if you took the initiative to go out without it once, you can do it again! I'm sorry this moronic herbal tea harassing salesman had to make this more difficult for you but don't give up and please keep your head up =]

Good luck!

i must look somewhat scary or something because no one ever made a remark to me like that....

good luck.

People rarely saw anything to me about it. I had a bully say I needed to see a dermatologist since practically EVERYONE at the school had perfect skin. I don't know how they had such good skin. Bleh.

I'm going back to my old school where at least half or so of us have acne.

I bet he is ugly. Ugly people always look for the flaws in everyone else to make themselves feel better. I don't like calling people ugly but this guy sounds like he deserves it. I hate it when I go to the mall with my friends and the people selling Proactiv on these carts come up to me and say "Would you like to try Proactiv?" Ergh.

I hate it when I go to the mall with my friends and the people selling Proactiv on these carts come up to me and say "Would you like to try Proactiv?" Ergh.

I just try and hide behind my friends or look into a store or something when I go by those Proactive setups. :D I already feel shitty enough about myself, I don't need some complete stranger pointing it out.

So today was the first day in years I allowed my self to walk around without makeup. It is not because I am cleared up, but it is because I am tired of hiding and truly want to accept myself whether the acne goes away or not. Well, I go to this grocery store and this guy tries to sell me this herbal tea he makes. He was talking about how his tea will help women balance hormones which I know is my issue. Well we talked for a while and I told him yes I have hormonal issues. He responds,"Oh yeah, is that why you have that breakout on the bottom of your face?" I said calmly,"Yes, I am going to an acupuncturist tomorrow for that. Thank you for your time." I walked away and thought, ok, this was a real test to see if I really accept myself. I kept telling myself I didn't care that he pointed it out, but now i am in tears and I feel so sad. The only day I didn't wear makeup, someone pointed out my flaws. It was painful. Just thought I would share. I am still gonna try not wearing makeup, but that really pushed me over into a bad place inside. :(:(:(

You know, I don't want to sound like too big of a dick, but it really doesn't sound like he was being mean to you, it sounds like he was trying to sell you a product that he thought may help your acne.

I don't tend to think of people who mention that you have acne as being mean. If the mere mentioning of acne is someone being mean, then almost everyone I know is mean an awful lot, which just isn't true.

Not to belittle how this affected you, but people can say far, far more hurtful things than that about your acne.

You are probably right. Maybe he wanted to sell it bad to and took a shot at what he saw was my most obvious need..Not very sensitive of him. I feel much better today about it. I really appreciate all your responses. This board has changed my life. Please check out my b5 log to see how. Not only have your suggestion helped me, but your loving kind comments of compassion have also. I truly truly am grateful for you. Thank you. I am clearing up my skin finally after 16 years of struggle and be sure I will on this board when my process is complete. I will be here for you.

I don't understand? Why did you get so upset, you started talking to him and said that you had hormonal issues and he wondered if that's what make you breakout? You think that's mean!? I truely don't see why you think he was mean, maybe he was just trying to be helpful. He didn't take a "shot" at you, you brought it up by talking to him and telling you had hormonal issues.

It's like if someone would be selling anti-histamines and I would go there with an allergic reaction and start talking to the seller and tell him I got problems with allergies and he would ask if thats why I had that reaction. Nothing weird, at all.

yes, but i didn't mention the acne and didn't need him to point it out. the last thing i wanted to was to feel like people notice it, even though they do, not always nice to have it in your face that it is noticeable, ya know. I am a sensitive person...probably one of the reasons why I have had acne. Stress out easy and get upset easy.