Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fox913

allergic to benzoyl peroxide!!!

I have had acne (moderate) since I was 11. In my teens, my dermatologist and I got the acne under control either using benzoyl peroxide or Sulfacet with antibiotics. In recent years (I am now 21), my acne has changed. I now break out on my chin and neck, instead of my forehead like when I was younger. In the last year I have developed a SEVERE allergic reaction to benzoyl peroxide. When I use any topical treatment containing bp, my face swells up, turns bright red and itches like CRAZY!! My dermatologist is impossible to get into see so I don't know what to do! Every OTC treatment either contains salicylic acid or benzoyl peroxide, so I'm at an impasse. I tried Murad Complex since it doesn't contain bp but have had no results even after 6 weeks. Is there any other chemical or medication out there that might work for me? Does anyone else have an allergy to bp? It seems like this allergy is rare. Especially since I didn't develop this allergy until recently. Someone please help!!!

Thanks,

Morgan

You might have to use a retinoid or perhaps even accutane. Otherwise, you could probably try other antibiotics, but in my opinion, that's just putting of the inevitable.

I'm also alergic to BP. It is VERY annoying.

I tried everything else including antibiotics (which did nothing) - but have in the end just decided to go on Accutane.