Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
No I'm Amy

Need Some Help

I started the CSR on the 19th- about 2-3 weeks ago. I am starting to wonder if it'd be better to go more natural. My back, chest, and shoulder acne is mild and I've been really natural with it. It's just that I have scars. My main problem is blackheads. My whiteheads are because of them. If I could get rid of them, I'd be happy. I have mild to moderate acne on my face. I need help with the blackheads. Do you think that carrots, broccoli and other good foods will help or what should I do? I am starting high school in about 6 weeks and don't know if it's better to go natural or use bp.

To sum this up for impatient people:

1. Quit CSR or go natural?

2. My main problem= blackheads turning into whiteheads

3. Better to use bp or go natural?

4. Starting highschool in 6 weeks. Don't want to look bad.

5. My chest and back acne- mild from being natural.

I started the CSR on the 19th- about 2-3 weeks ago. I am starting to wonder if it'd be better to go more natural. My back, chest, and shoulder acne is mild and I've been really natural with it. It's just that I have scars. My main problem is blackheads. My whiteheads are because of them. If I could get rid of them, I'd be happy. I have mild to moderate acne on my face. I need help with the blackheads. Do you think that carrots, broccoli and other good foods will help or what should I do? I am starting high school in about 6 weeks and don't know if it's better to go natural or use bp.

To sum this up for impatient people:

1. Quit CSR or go natural?

2. My main problem= blackheads turning into whiteheads

3. Better to use bp or go natural?

4. Starting highschool in 6 weeks. Don't want to look bad.

5. My chest and back acne- mild from being natural.

I would start keeping a log of everything you do and what kind of acne you get. Then you can figure out what's causing your acne and if necessary eliminate things that seem to be causing it.

What exactly should I do then?

If the CSR is working for you, but not as well as you'd like, you can still do it, but start making changes to your diet and lifestyle, like getting more exercise and eating more fruits and vegetables and drinking more water. I highly recommend that you keep an "acne diary"--record what you eat, when you break out, when you menstruate (if you're a girl--this can be pretty important), when you exercise, shower, how much, what you put on your face... an entry can look like this:

Monday:

Ate some grapes, had some soda, drank 4 glasses of water, ate an apple, a banana, had carrots and chicken with rice for dinner... etc.

Washed face with X cleanser, then put on Y and Z medications

Wore sunscreen

Exercised for 30 minutes (jogging, swimming, yoga...)

Took shower after exercising

Got 3 new zits... one on forehead, one on nose, one on cheek. Whitehead on chin diminishing.

Etc, etc. After doing this for a while you might start to see a pattern between something you're doing and your acne. Then you can start changing it and see if your acne gets any better.

I think that I'll do that then. It'll help me see what I'm doing wrong too. The CSR- I think it's actually doing something wrong since I have these white flesh colored bumps that I've never had before.

I think that I'll do that then. It'll help me see what I'm doing wrong too. The CSR- I think it's actually doing something wrong since I have these white flesh colored bumps that I've never had before.

Don't forget that the CSR can cause an initial breakout--if you've only been doing it for two weeks that's what it might be. There's a lot of debate as far as BP cost-benefit analysis on this site... You can look around and see if someone else is having your same problem. But since you don't seem to know what's causing your acne the diary should help you figure that out.

I think that my moisturizer may to be at blame for that...

Um... Do you have to take 2 weeks to see if food is causing pimples or a few days? I've heard a zillion stories about it.

Um... Do you have to take 2 weeks to see if food is causing pimples or a few days? I've heard a zillion stories about it.

General wisdom is that pimples can start forming weeks before they come out of your skin, though I think a lot of people on this forum (and they could be right) think that certain foods or products can make them appear more quickly. The theory behind the "initial breakout" with retinoids, BP, and some antibiotics is that they are "purging" your skin and making all the gross stuff come out that was waiting before, and the product just sped up the process. I know people claim to eat a pizza and break out the next day, but I think it's a little more complicated then that.

I see. I think that I'll give it a couple of weeks then... I dunno though.

Well I think it's probably a good idea to stick with it so you can really figure it out. You sound like you're pretty young, about to start high school, so you probably haven't had acne for more than a couple years? It's good to start managing it as soon as you can, but there's no one-size-fits-all recipe for acne... you have to try different things and see what works best for you.

I've tried all the tricks in the books (I'm 19, have had acne since I was 10 or 11) and I'm finally starting to get clear by some of the changes I've made to my approach and to my lifestyle. Keeping track of what I'm putting in and on my body is helping me a lot, I've started really noticing what things I've done wrong and what things work on my skin. It might help you too. PLEASE don't get discouraged if you can't figure it out in a couple weeks... It's been almost 10 years for me and for some people it takes even longer. Acne affects us all differently, that's why I really like this forum because people can share what has worked for them so others can try it. But don't give up on one thing after a couple days or weeks... a lot of them take time to be effective.

I'll do this and add it to my CSR log. I usually get discouraged after awhile but this time I'll be WAY more motivated since this is my health I'm talking about.

General wisdom is that pimples can start forming weeks before they come out of your skin, though I think a lot of people on this forum (and they could be right) think that certain foods or products can make them appear more quickly. The theory behind the "initial breakout" with retinoids, BP, and some antibiotics is that they are "purging" your skin and making all the gross stuff come out that was waiting before, and the product just sped up the process. I know people claim to eat a pizza and break out the next day, but I think it's a little more complicated then that.

breakouts from food occur within 1-4 days. It depends on the person and the food. I have gone to a bar, completely clear because of my diet, drank beers, rum and cokes, and redbull vodkas, then got 2 zits at like 3am. This is a rare circumstance, but if I were to cheat on my diet I would notice a breakout usually within 2 days.

I see what you mean now. I just started eating broccoli and I woke up with no breakouts and I know it's because of that since I had a pimple or two the day before.