Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I'm 29 and have extremely oily skin since I was 16. In fact, the oiliness has only gotten worse over time. However, I only have mild acne, but it is persistent. My pimples constantly come and go around the oiliest parts of my skin.

Since I have only had mild acne, most derms only give me the routine topicals, oral antibiotics, etc. They do absolutely nothing for me. In fact, I never even go through a purging phase with the retin-A's, taz, or differin.

My question is this...since I really only have very mild acne, but really oily skin, should I push the derm for accutane since everything I have tried has not work and I am too old to be dealing with this. I though a low dosage would work perfect for me...just something to dry up the oil and the mild acne will follow suit.

Also, do any of you recommend just buying accutane online without a prescription and just do it myself if he won't prescribe it for me?

Thanks for the help!!!

its very dangerous ground going it alone. As you are aware this is a very powerfull drug, with side effects although uncommon for the very dangerous ones, are still a very real possibility. You dont mention which country your in, which in some regards can inform you access to a dermatologist, and although you will hear alot of bad mouthing of them on here, they are the experts.

If you havnt been, go.

You dont have to necessrily accept the advice but they are the people who are meant to be able to help the most. I think it is possible you could go on accutane, and on the lower doses side effects that do occur are generally less severe. You may have to go on a longer course as a result of this, but it can be dependant on the individual.

I 22 and am presently on my 2nd course, the first left me totally clear for years. However as with you my skin is oily in the extreme, and although my acne as a result is moderate, it is the only thing that has worked for me. Best of luck mate, educate yourself about the options and risks to the full extent possible and then go from there.

Thanks for the help!

Yeah, I knew going it alone wasn't the safe bet. I was just surprised to see so many places on line offering it without a prescription and didn't know if maybe doing a low dosage and all of the generics now available were the reason why.

Since you are on your second course, did the oil just come back after years? Also, was there a bad initial breakout since you only had moderate acne with oily skin? I guess I'm hoping that I can just dry up without too much of an initial breakout by going on a low dose.

Thanks for the help!

Yeah, I knew going it alone wasn't the safe bet. I was just surprised to see so many places on line offering it without a prescription and didn't know if maybe doing a low dosage and all of the generics now available were the reason why.

Since you are on your second course, did the oil just come back after years? Also, was there a bad initial breakout since you only had moderate acne with oily skin? I guess I'm hoping that I can just dry up without too much of an initial breakout by going on a low dose.

check your messages

I'd suggest telling your derm how desperate you are and how nothing has worked and then if he didnt offer it to me i would say i was considering buying it online but would rather do it the safe way. that way they would rather put you on it than let you do it yourself.

Im just about to start accutane and i hope that the initial breakout isnt too bad but you got to take it if its for the best in the long run.

I also looked at buying it online and would have used what i said above but here noe once you get ref to a derm they pretty muvh give it to most people if its affecting your life badly.

good luck!

I went through the same thing as you, mild acne that no topical meds will work on. After I tried a bunch of things the Derm said I should go on Accutane...so your Derm will probably prescribe it for you. I don't think you should buy it for yourself because it is kind of a dangerous drug with crazy side effects so you should really have your Derm's help.