Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
tntutor

Acne caused yeast

Hello! I am so glad to have found this forum. I am soon to be 40 with an extremely stubborn acne rash of some sort that has even the docs puzzled! I am not sure which is worse, the rash or all of the Diflucan I have taken to try and get rid of this! I have always had veryoily skin but never had acne. Only occasional breakouts. After giving birth to my daughter 6 years ago this rash appeared for the first time. I thought it was a result of hormones or nursing her or something. The dermatologist didn't even know what it was. It finally went away after about 6 or 8 months on its own. It only appears on my face, concentrated in the cheek area, sides of neck, heavy on the chest and back. It has reared its ugly head again and now will not go away. The new doc this last time did "scrapings" and determined that it is yeast. I have been washing with Nizoral 1% and nothing else. I have taken a couple of rounds of Diflucan which seems to clear it up a tad but not completely. It is a fine rash, almost like "cornmeal". Lovely description huh? VERY unattractive. Does anyone else have similar type problem and if so what have you done to treat? I am seriously considering the sea salt route that I have been reading about on these posts. At this point I am willing to try anything! Thanks so much. I will be eager to hear responses!

check out the pityrosporum folliculitis thread for suggestions. that is what its called. you could try sea salt for sure. even better would be the sea salt recipe with tea tree oil that you can find further down this board by doing a search. anyways tea tree oil is a natural antifungal so look for products that use them. a bp with tea tree oil that you leave on the skin may be helpful. also garden botanica makes a toner with neem and tea tree oil, both good for yeast. if your really motivated stay away from all sugar and caffeine as sugar feeds yeast. you should also take probiotics daily, which are available from the health foosd store. they make a huge dfference by adding good bacteria to your system. diet, probiotics and tea tree oil sea salt recipe work well for me. but beware. if you ask your derm about probiotics and sugar intake they will most likely laugh in your face. most dont believe you can fox things internally, and especially not naturally. but of course they depend on us coming bak to them in six weeks for a new script and probably want us to believe perscriptions are the only option., okay enough of my conspiracy theories....sorry!

good luck!

oh and sea salt baths are great for body clearing.

i like the garden botanica toner because it has retinol in it ( im thirty and starting to care about wrinkles), but if the garden botanica toner irritates you i make a toner with 1.5 cups witch hazel, 2 tbls aloe vera gel and 30 drops tea tree essential oil. it works really good but tea tree doesnt smell that great. oh well id rather smell it for ten minutes and be clear with no itchies.and of course theres apple cider vinegar as a toner which is a natural antifungal, toner, and exfoliator. that should give you a few things to try.

do you itch?

good luck!!!!

oh and im curious, how long do you do diflucan treatments for?

check out the pityrosporum folliculitis thread for suggestions. that is what its called. you could try sea salt for sure. even better would be the sea salt recipe with tea tree oil that you can find further down this board by doing a search. anyways tea tree oil is a natural antifungal so look for products that use them. a bp with tea tree oil that you leave on the skin may be helpful. also garden botanica makes a toner with neem and tea tree oil, both good for yeast. if your really motivated stay away from all sugar and caffeine as sugar feeds yeast. you should also take probiotics daily, which are available from the health foosd store. they make a huge dfference by adding good bacteria to your system. diet, probiotics and tea tree oil sea salt recipe work well for me. but beware. if you ask your derm about probiotics and sugar intake they will most likely laugh in your face. most dont believe you can fox things internally, and especially not naturally. but of course they depend on us coming bak to them in six weeks for a new script and probably want us to believe perscriptions are the only option., okay enough of my conspiracy theories....sorry!

good luck!

oh and sea salt baths are great for body clearing.

i like the garden botanica toner because it has retinol in it ( im thirty and starting to care about wrinkles), but if the garden botanica toner irritates you i make a toner with 1.5 cups witch hazel, 2 tbls aloe vera gel and 30 drops tea tree essential oil. it works really good but tea tree doesnt smell that great. oh well id rather smell it for ten minutes and be clear with no itchies.and of course theres apple cider vinegar as a toner which is a natural antifungal, toner, and exfoliator. that should give you a few things to try.

do you itch?

Thanks so much for your input! It is nice to know that someone shares the same frustration. I went to the health food store this morning and bought tea tree oil. I could not find the sea salt soak recipe that included tea tree oil but I will keep looking. My skin is very oily so I am not sure how an "essence" oil will affect it but I will give it a try. What type of foundation do you wear? I have been going without any makeup other than gloss and mascara to try to clear up my skin but I am looking pretty icky these days without it. I have read several conflicting viewspoints on Bare Essentials. Some say it is too shiny for oily skin and others say it works beautifully. I wish someone would come up with a single application foundation so you don't have to "double dip".! I prefer the powder foundations over creams. Any suggestions? Have a great day!

Oh! I almost forgot. The Diflucan treatments are 200mg Mon, Wed, Frid...skip 2 days during the weekend and start again with M, W, F. Six 200mg tabs altogether for one dosing.

Full Edit

Quick Edit « Next Oldest · Adult acne · Next Newest »

good luck!!!!

oh and im curious, how long do you do diflucan treatments for?

hey tntutor. well for makeup i use neutrogena healthy skin makeup which is not the best for oily skin, however im silicone and nylon 12 sensitive so its one of the few that doesnt contribute to the problem. and while it isnt matte, i do feel like it helps my skin heal,(like if its really red or a picked at a spot too much) and it has spf 20. if your oily stay away from bare minerals/essentuals. it is terrible on oily skin. i havent tried other brands but i remember reading a post about someone who hated bare minerals but then tried another mineral foundation powder from the internet that didnt contain bismuth(makes you shiny?) and she felt like it was much better and mattifying. i actually got really itchy with the bare esentuals. i only wore it once because it was unbearable. im going to try the physicians formula mineral powder after i finish my lancome powder which also has nylon-12. .For special occasions i use lancomes tient idole ultra which makes my skin look gorgeous and lasts really well. it has no sunscreen and is thirty dollars a bottle so its more of a going out foundation. but is as close to beautiful skin i have ever come. it does have nylon 12 as wellbut for most this isnt a problem, in fact most foundations contain them.I will re-write the sea salt recipe quickly for you...

the grat thing about this is its for the shower.(i dont have time for a bath!)

get a 8 0z glass jar with twist off plastic lid. fill it 3/4 the way with sea salt. add purpose or basis(i decided i like basis better) liquid soap till salt is just barley saturated with soap. add thirty drops tea tree essential oil to the salt jar. i do ten, stir, ten stir,ten stir. add little more salt and soap if you have the room. wala! you now have an awesome antifungal sea salt exfoliator scrub. i feel this helps me alot. you could use any liquid soap as long as its not emollient and is clean and gentle. i like the basis now becase it has rosemary extract which is also antifungal. i highly suggest you try this. just be prepared for a possible initial breakout or a little iritation.l got a little dry and irritated for like a week and then everyday it got better and better. i do this in conjunction with nizoral shampoo on my head or head and shoulders shampoo adn znp bar on body.Also be gentle with the salt scrub. rub it in lightly, then do pushups against the wall or shave to let it soak in for a little bit, rinse lightlyand get out. oh and i only use thos on body, not face.if you try it and go for face too let me know how it pans out. ive read up alot about yeast skin issues and your diflucan dose doesnt sound like nearly enough. ive read oral ketocaonazole is the best bet to penetrate tissues and reach skin but it is toxic to the liver and hads to be monitored and taken for longer than a sual dose for complete clearing, which most derms arent willing to do.

tea tree essential oil isnt actually oily. i cant speak for tea tree oil , but the essential oil dries - its really strange. and dont worry, i have extremely oily skin as well. i blot at least 15 times a day, and would take the acne over the oil anyday. talk to you soon.