Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
barsonly1

food and my relationship with it.

okay so in my opinion, food is very connected to acne. i never realized this until the last couple of months when nothing worked. so i did research after research, website after website, book after book, and i realzed diet is key. though before this, i thought that sweating and not eating carbs(such as pasta,bread,rice) or dairy products would solve my problem. all i ate was fruits and veggies and an occasional 6 oz boiled,skinless chicken breast. when that didnt work, i thought maybe im not sweating enough. so i kept on running. intense cardio 35 mins every other day. most of the time running on fumes due to lack of energy supply. and my weight was normal for my height. 5'6, 132 pounds. before i knew it, i lost so much weight. people were getting worried. so i decided what can i do to be healthy enough and still not get acne. i want to gain my weight back. i dont like being so skinny. so recently ive been eating more fish, more chicken. more fruits and veggies. but i want to eat carbs also. not the unhealthy ones. stuff like whole grains or oats or quinoa or any healthy carbs. maybe an even an occasional beef or pork in there. but fear of getting that pimple in the morning is still too strong. im so tired of thinking about my skin and food. i cant enjoy life when i dont want my friends to see my face or go out with co-workers cause im embarrased. so i guess i need help. someone tell me that its okay to eat healthy carbs like wheat or something and not get acne. and how about pork or beef? can i eat that if i cook it the right way? how about squid or shrimp? i know we need to work hard to get the result that we want. and not eat things that can make it worse. but its tough. i need help on my diet. i want to EAT and NOT get acne and GAIN weight.

Thanks for reading and any advice anyone can give will help.

You're definitely on the right track to a healthy diet. Let me give you some tips:

• If you crave animal products like beef, eat them. Cravings are your body's way of telling you "I need this".
  • Try not to eat grains (wheat, corn, rice, etc.) for your carbohydrate sources. See if fruits, nuts and seeds will satisfy your cravings.
  • Eat all natural foods. For more information on this, check the articles in my signature.

Well it looks like you know that carbs give you acne- Congratulations, many people on these boards still haven't identified their personal triggers so the fact that you have is an achievement.

I used to read a paleolithic/low carb message board. There were people there who also experienced weight loss. The recommendation was to increase the amount of animal fats. If you are truly a protein type, you will be able to stabilize your weight and obtain energy from fats, particulary animal fats.

It is impossible to substantially reduce both carbs AND fats- this will lead to malnutrition and can't be maintained.

My skin is completely clear when I obstain from certain foods like dairy sugars and lots of carbs. I have no blemishes on my skin currently, my oil production is normal etc but its hard to find food to eat and it can be frustrating. I also lost weight, about 8 pounds when I change my whole diet. I never had a weight problem so I was happy with the weight I had before. The 8 pounds didnt make such a big difference but I do NOT want to lose more. What I do is I eat a lot and I mean A LOT of avocados which are mostly pure fat (good fat), chick peas are good as well. Eat a lot of fish if you like it. Eat larger meals than usual and snack a lot on veggies, salads, fruit etc. Learn how to cook Asian style. I bought about 10 Asian cook books, lol yeah I know thats a lot but they really helped me be more creative in the kitchen.

okay so in my opinion, food is very connected to acne. i never realized this until the last couple of months when nothing worked. so i did research after research, website after website, book after book, and i realzed diet is key. though before this, i thought that sweating and not eating carbs(such as pasta,bread,rice) or dairy products would solve my problem. all i ate was fruits and veggies and an occasional 6 oz boiled,skinless chicken breast. when that didnt work, i thought maybe im not sweating enough. so i kept on running. intense cardio 35 mins every other day. most of the time running on fumes due to lack of energy supply. and my weight was normal for my height. 5'6, 132 pounds. before i knew it, i lost so much weight. people were getting worried. so i decided what can i do to be healthy enough and still not get acne. i want to gain my weight back. i dont like being so skinny. so recently ive been eating more fish, more chicken. more fruits and veggies. but i want to eat carbs also. not the unhealthy ones. stuff like whole grains or oats or quinoa or any healthy carbs. maybe an even an occasional beef or pork in there. but fear of getting that pimple in the morning is still too strong. im so tired of thinking about my skin and food. i cant enjoy life when i dont want my friends to see my face or go out with co-workers cause im embarrased. so i guess i need help. someone tell me that its okay to eat healthy carbs like wheat or something and not get acne. and how about pork or beef? can i eat that if i cook it the right way? how about squid or shrimp? i know we need to work hard to get the result that we want. and not eat things that can make it worse. but its tough. i need help on my diet. i want to EAT and NOT get acne and GAIN weight.

Thanks for reading and any advice anyone can give will help.

Milk products are known nowadays to trigger acne, there's three studies on the Journal of American Dermatology to prove this connection, but yogurt may be safe instead

It's also very likely that only commercial milk is correlated with acne while milk from organic grass fed cows may be safe

And this is one

EFA n-3 are necessary for an healthy mouisturized skin and to prevent or contrast inflamation

Our diet is too rich on EFA n-6 from refined oils and too deficiency in EFA n-3

The solution is to stop using oil except for extra virgin olive oil and coconut oil and to consume more fatty fish and nuts

Here's a list of good EFA n-3 fish sources:

Grams of n-3 per 100g

High in n-3 and low in mercury

2.3g Salmon Atlantic

2.2g Herring Atlantic

1.9g Sardines (water packed)

1.8g Whitefish

1.4g Salmon Coho

1.2g Trout Rainbow

0.9g Albacore Tuna

0.8g Mussels

0.7g Oysters

0.7g Tuna (white water canned)

Moderate in n-3 and low in mercury

0.5g Lobster

0.5g Flunder

0.5g Halibut

0.5g Pollock

0.4g Crab Dungeness

0.4g Crab Stone

0.3g Scallops

0.3g Calamari (Squid)

0.3g Cod

0.3g Clams

High in n-3 but high in mercury (no more than two servings a week)

1.5g Tuna Bluefish

0.9g Bluefish

0.5g Crab Alaskan King

0.3g Grouper

0.3g Tuna Yellowfish

No n-3 and very high mercury (don't eat this stuff!!)

Marlin

Shark

Swordfish

Bass

Tilefish

King Mackarel

And this is two

If you gave up all refined carbs you are aware of the strongest correlation between hormones, food and acne: blood sugars and insulin levels

But keeping your blood sugar stable at an healthy level can't be achieved just by giving up all refined carbs even thoug it is a good start

There are few things that work for people with roller coaster blood sugar who can't seem to maintain an healthy weight when they give up concentrated junk calories

1) consume carbs always with protein

2) create your meal always combining a carb source with a protein source

3) eat more often, other than breakfast, lunch and dinner add a middle morning and afternoon meal

4) concentrate your carbs when you're more active and plan to be active

5) eat less carbs when you're lazy, unactive, sitting in front of television or having a rest day

6) consume most of your carbs calories as low GI foods

As for your weight, keep in mind that skinny people are fat

What I mean is that other than bones, connective tissue, water and organs your body weight is either fat or muscles. Skinny people usually have not low levels of body fat but high levels of body fat which simply means that at whatever age in children, men and women skinniness is always caused by a lack of muscle

When your diet is not muscle sparing your muscles is wasted (catabolized) and your fat levels goes up and you become skinny. No one has ever died from a lack of fat (even if levels of fat around 1% are potentially fatal) but always from a lack of muscle. Starving people, anorexic people they all die for lack of muscles

It's when we don't understand this simple physiological fact that we become victim of the yo-yo dieting and its unhealthy consequences

Vegetables and fruits are high volume and not calorically dense

If you have three meals of just fruits and veggies chances are you fill up your stomach before you've consumed enough nutrients. You need tons of fruits to obtain the min protein requirement

To secure a minimum of 45 grams of protein you'd need to eat: 6 nectarines, 8 bananas, 20 dates, 60 cherries, 8 persimmons, 4 cherimoyas

And you need protein everyday so you can't just consume not enough protein usually and just occasionally get enough protein. Because of that your veggies and fruits diet with few occasional oz of meat was not muscle sparing.

You want to gain weight and stop being skinny but believe me your don't want to gain fat, you want to gain lean body mass.

The 6 approaches I've listed above are good for gaining weight as skinny people because they're muscle sparing approches so what you eat is used to build lean body mass while carbs are just used from when you need to refuel your muscles (glycogen) or you need to fuel a physical/mental activity

But to gain weight you need also to help the building of lean body mass by exercising a bit

There's a door chin-up bar called doorgym and if you could use it three times a week to exercise it would be great and would help you gain healthy weight back.

DoorGym

There are so many things that you can eat that it should be a problem

Think of your diet as refined carbs free and dairy free all the rest is a green light

Choose a protein source among: eggs, poultry, meat, fish, legumes, tofu, quorn, tahini

Choose a carb source among: fruits, sprouts, potatoes, yams, yogurt (and whole grains if you want)

Choose a fat source among: fatty n-3 fish, coconut oil, olive oil, nuts, seeds, avocado, black olives, butter

Experiment to see whether you feel better with a

2 + 2 + 1 or 2 + 1 + 2 combination

and consume raw and cooked veggies with at least 2 of your meals

Drink water often trying to consume at least 1 liter of water a day

Here you can find grain, flour, sugar and lactose free recipes

SCD Recipes

Danny