Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Debs20

co2 laser or TCA?

Hi!

Can anyone please tell me whether they know if the co2 laser is relatively safe or not? I have been advised to get this done by a qualified plastic surgeon. I have no idea how successful it is at removing shallow acne scars? Does anyone know? Is the risk of a change in pigmentation high? How long has the c02 laser been used for?

If i decide to pull out of the c02 laser i have the option of having a TCA peel done? Would anyone recommend this?

if you do a search here you will find most ppl have negative comments regarding c02 laser, myself included. Most very good derms nvr suggest going down the co2 route. I dont know what kind of scars you have so it is hard to suggest what you should do. There seems to be a positive reaction to fraxel, isolagen, tca cross, subcision and needling.

I suggest you seek a second opinion from a derm with more knowledge, esp within the scar revision field.

if you do a search here you will find most ppl have negative comments regarding c02 laser, myself included. Most very good derms nvr suggest going down the co2 route. I dont know what kind of scars you have so it is hard to suggest what you should do. There seems to be a positive reaction to fraxel, isolagen, tca cross, subcision and needling.

I suggest you seek a second opinion from a derm with more knowledge, esp within the scar revision field.

Hi there thanks very much for your reply. I have shallow pits all over my cheeks and some on chin area (a bit like yours). I have noticed theres a lot of negative feedback concerning the c02 laser. I think I will speak to my plastic surgeon about having the TCA peel instead. The doctor that will be doing it if a qualified plastic surgeon and it will be done on the NHS so not am sure why hes suggesting the c02 laser if its got a low success rate? Strange.

fraxel is supposed to be better than co2 it is the new gold standard according to the literature. but read the fraxel thread first.

hopesprings..nhs treatment is free...so i dont think that it applies in this case (?) (although i TOTALLY agree that its usually for money grzz!)

I wonder too why your p.s suggested co2. I realise you want something done sooner rather than later and dont wish to lose your nhs opportunity but i suggest doing a good check on your p.s at the very least. Find out how many 'successful' cases he has had treating acne scar patients. You are well within your rights to check his experience. You are also within your rights to be referred for a second opinion (of course that means more waiting time tho :/ )

If u r def going ahead with tca peel check out how much experience he has had with this, what risks are involved and if something goes wrong (or ur concerned about something after the treatment) what sort of help is available to you.

Wish you the best of luck with your treatment!

hopesprings..nhs treatment is free...so i dont think that it applies in this case (?) (although i TOTALLY agree that its usually for money grzz!)

I wonder too why your p.s suggested co2. I realise you want something done sooner rather than later and dont wish to lose your nhs opportunity but i suggest doing a good check on your p.s at the very least. Find out how many 'successful' cases he has had treating acne scar patients. You are well within your rights to check his experience. You are also within your rights to be referred for a second opinion (of course that means more waiting time tho :/ )

If u r def going ahead with tca peel check out how much experience he has had with this, what risks are involved and if something goes wrong (or ur concerned about something after the treatment) what sort of help is available to you.

Wish you the best of luck with your treatment!

Hey Thanks so much for your advice! I will definaltely quiz my plastic surgeon about this once i am finally called. Its definately not to do with money as its on the NHS. I think the TCA is meant to be less harsh so that appeals to me slightly more! He didnt offer me any other options.

ps i saw ur website was very interesting. How is your skin now after all the treatments? Are u much happier?

fraxel is supposed to be better than co2 it is the new gold standard according to the literature. but read the fraxel thread first.

Thanks for ur advice james! Am not sure if Fraxel is available on the NHS but i will find out. I have a feeling they only offer c02 laser and TCA as that was the only options discussed. I could be wrong though he may have felt those two were more suited to my type of scarring.