Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
peanutbutter

Stop eating peanut butter!

Seriously folks. Peanut butter supposedly has this enzyme that aggravates acne in folks suceptible to it-- so says my friend's esthetician. Which I thought was a bunch of baloney until both she and I stopped eating it altogether-- no reeses, no pbj, watch out for peanut flour in chex mix-- and we cleared up by about 90%. Took a month, maybe a little more for consistent results. I've been on every drug for more than a decade-- tried Accutane, antibiotics, differen, EVERYTHING, and after I stopped eating PB, I was able to stop using all my prescription meds. Now, I only use my st ives scrub once a day (when I'm feeling motivated). So seriously, pass it on: PB is poison (for folks like us).

Seriously folks. Peanut butter supposedly has this enzyme that aggravates acne in folks suceptible to it-- so says my friend's esthetician. Which I thought was a bunch of baloney until both she and I stopped eating it altogether-- no reeses, no pbj, watch out for peanut flour in chex mix-- and we cleared up by about 90%. Took a month, maybe a little more for consistent results. I've been on every drug for more than a decade-- tried Accutane, antibiotics, differen, EVERYTHING, and after I stopped eating PB, I was able to stop using all my prescription meds. Now, I only use my st ives scrub once a day (when I'm feeling motivated). So seriously, pass it on: PB is poison (for folks like us).

I think I've bloody heard it all now :wacko:

I don't think its poison for all just some of us, I know it is for me and I break out horribly on my neck if I eat peanut butter or peanuts, anything with peanut oil, chinese food sometimes has it and peanut flour.

I don't think its poison for all just some of us, I know it is for me and I break out horribly on my neck if I eat peanut butter or peanuts, anything with peanut oil, chinese food sometimes has it and peanut flour.

Sounds like your allergic to it .

Peanuts are known to be high in androgens, which can cause acne flares. It is also on the list of foods to avoid that I got from my esthetician (who specializes in treating acne).

Peanuts cause me to break out big time, especially around my mouth, so I already stay away from them... and peanut butter I don't even like. Hasn't cleared me tho, so I doubt they're the only reason I get spots.

I never liked peanut butter. That's probably because I'm allergic to it and might go into anaphylatic shock if I try it. So, yes I will take this advice of not eating peanut butter.

either way peanut butter is not very healthy for our body so its good to avoid it

Why do you say that? Many health nuts I talk to have peanut butter as a staple in their diet, especially for those looking to build muscle (high in protein). Now...JIF isn't going to be the healthiest thing in the world for you but...

What about almond butter or cashew butter? Do you think they would have enough in common to be grouped together with peanut butter, or is it just the peanut that is the problem?

My doctor told me to eat peanut butter a couple times a day to help with hypoglycemia, but by all means, I want this acne to go away! (I have had acne most of my life, so it's not that doctor's advice that caused it. Although I have always had the occaisional peanut butter & jelly or whatever.)

What about almond butter or cashew butter? Do you think they would have enough in common to be grouped together with peanut butter, or is it just the peanut that is the problem?

My doctor told me to eat peanut butter a couple times a day to help with hypoglycemia, but by all means, I want this acne to go away! (I have had acne most of my life, so it's not that doctor's advice that caused it. Although I have always had the occaisional peanut butter & jelly or whatever.)

Cashew and Almond butter don't have the same problems that peanut butter does as far as impact on your skin. I use both of those as replacements for peanut butter - the flavor isn't as strong (and they are pretty expensive!), but they seem to be a reasonable substitute.

crap.. i just finished my peanut-butter&jelly sandwich (seriously...) But i don;t think my adult acne is caused by it.

Almond, walnuts, macadamia and cashew butters are different ... first of all because they are nuts while peanuts are legumes, but also because the allergenes contained in peanuts are not contained in those nuts

There quite few people who get anaphylatic shock from eating penuts ... I don't know of any that get the same for eating walnuts or almonds

Hrm, I don't think it's fair to say this to EVERYONE. It probably does effect some people, but it's not a common cause of acne. Food really isn't proven to be related to acne. And peanut butter IS healthy for you, but it should be the natural kind versus the processed kind found at grocery stores. Any kind of processed food isn't good for you. If cutting out peanut butter really truly helps, go for it. It seems like a pretty rare thing though. I've had all sorts of people tell me different foods NOT to eat because it can cause acne, and if I listened to everyone I would probably starve. :P

-Sarah

No one food is gonna give you acne or stop it unless its some kind of allergic reaction relevant to you personally. I have eaten peanut butter approximately 5 times in my 34 years. I still had chronic moderate to severe acne. Sorry but posts like this are virtually useless. I think you could find a similar post here about possible every single food known to man.

I was wondering if I was going to come across a topic like this...and...well...to my surprise here it is.

Hmm, this is interesting considering I am going through one of the worst breakouts right now (at 23) then I have in my history of when I started getting acne at 15...and, I have rcently obtained an addiction to Peanut Butter. I ate about a whole jar of PB this week, and to make matters worse...a jar the week before!! I'll have it on everything...Bread, Crackers...in some case even strait out of the jar!!!

But, hearing this is quite interesting as I never thought PB was the cause of this...but just last May my skin was actually pretty damn clear, it just got bad about mid-june and that's around the time I got this "peanut butter" addiction...

Dammit, I love my PB so much...It almost pains me to say this...but maybe I better knock it off for a few weeks and see what happens.