Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mm142

When Good Products just Stop Working... NOOO! WHY?!?!

You finally find a good product and all of a sudden it stops working. You continue using it regardless until you're convinced that it no longer works.

This was the case for me with Benzaclin and Aloe Vera.

Benzaclin killed zits like nothing else (there were occational zits and this did leave red marks, but it worked great). Sadly, one year later I'm dropping the product. My skin has become immune to it or something.

Aloe Vera? Healed my red marks and seemed to prevent acne for a week! All of a sudden it no longer works and it definately doesn't help my red marks today.

This is annoying me quite a bit. I'm thinking of starting Proactiv now (I have somewhat moderate acne) but I'm afraid that'll stop working some day too.

WHY DO GOOD PRODUCTS STOP WORKING?! I'm really frustrated :wall:

I would not advise using Proactiv, as an alternate (and better way), order the CSR Cleanser and BP Gel. It's alot more economical, too.

Proactiv is too harsh.

holy shit truue! i had 'light light like 3 zits on my face' acne until proactiv. DIE. after 3 weeks of using it i had cysts and leisions and shitt

About 4/5 years ago I was using 200mg of doxycycline per day and Benzamycin Gel at night. After about a year of this and being crystal clear, I think I started to build up immunity to the doxy as I was getting more breakouts than usual. At the same time they stopped making Benzamycin in the UK for 6 months and I re-entered my acne hell. I don't think theres been many resistance issues with Benzamycin for me as I've been on/off it several times since 1999 and it always does me some good.

So what if I tried this...

Used an alternate product until it stops working and go back to Benzaclin? If I do that will it start working again on my skin?

Ben when you say you've been on and off Benzamycin, is it because it stops working, then works again?

It could be that the bacteria will develop a resistance to the product you are using. That is why it might be wise to swap products once every so often

Proactiv is too harsh.

holy shit truue! i had 'light light like 3 zits on my face' acne until proactiv. DIE. after 3 weeks of using it i had cysts and leisions and shitt

That's pretty much the same that happened to me except for I didn't get cysts but I got red pimples by my eyes and everywhere that I usually wouldn't get them.

Use benzoyl peroxide. If it starts working it will always work. Antibiotics like minocycline work for a while because they alter the proteins of the bacteria p. acnes. Eventually however, the bacteria will develop a resistance. BP on the other hand works because it oxidizes your skin and P. acnes cannot survive in oxygen. Therefore it will always work.

I wish id just given up sooner rather than trying to fight acne with OTC products. Now im starting accutane as i just cant be arsed to keep searching for a product that just isnt there.