Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Forever-Lovely

Is it true that putting toothpaste on your zits clears them?

I heard that putting a toothpaste that doesnt contain fluoride on your pimples will dry them out by morning. Is this true? :think:

I heard the same thing about 2 years ago from my brothers girlfriend, back when I had mild acne. It did not work for me and actually I believe was very rough on the face. I woke up one morning after trying it for like a week or so and my face was pitch red. I wouldnt recommend it and would go with some other solution.

I then tried all of the dermotologists suggestions, such as the retina a's, tazoracs, etc... but none of those worked, even after using them for about a year. The only thing that worked for me was Dans regimen, which I've been using for two months now and haven't had a pimple since and am totally clear of old ones. Once again, I had mild acne and the toothpaste didnt work.

i've heard this also, but if it work then crest or colgate should be making billlioooons by now

My friends have done it for a while and suggested i try it.

For myself, It works. It is effective as an on the spot treatment for inflammation. However, it smells funny, looks funny as is harder to wash off your face. I prefer a on the spot as Duac, BP, clearasil, or other. For me however, the toothpaste worked better than the tree oil.

I heard that putting a toothpaste that doesnt contain fluoride on your pimples will dry them out by morning. Is this true? :think:

Hmmm... I've tried this, with no success... It actually seems pretty harsh on my skin. If you want to try it buy a toothpaste with a whitening ingredient (there are some with hydrogen peroxide and baking soda, those might work the best). But then it's basically like putting BP or bleach on your face... I think that's the general concept behind it.

It does *kind* of dry big whiteheads out, but does nothing for cysts. And as someone said above, it's hard to wash off in the morning if you don't rub it in... and the effort to scrub the toothpaste off leaves my skin red and irritated :S

I remebered using toothpaste on my active acne and yes it help dried out the acne but after a couple of days it became worse. It got redder and hence it took me at least 3 months to fade.I really regret using it! So, no its not a wise decision to use it. BIG NO!

i put toothpaste on a big zit i had about 3 or 4 months ago..it reduced the size of the zit..but it left a mark almost the size of a dime

Most toothpastes have ingredients that would be too harsh and irritating for your skin. It may very well dry up a pimple, but there are products that do it better and don't kill your skin. You might try Queen Helene's Mint Julep mask - I don't use it as a mask, but I think it is a great overnight spot treatment. And it smells nice and minty like toothpaste! :D