Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Forever-Lovely

If you drink a ton of water daily..will your acne clear?

Drinking at least 2 liters of water a day helps your body in all kinds of ways. For some people it can help their skin improve, but not everybody.

it will help, it certainly won't keep you clear forever.

I tried it. I tried drinking as much as 3-4 liters a day and it helps a bit but you have to watch your diet a LOT and exercise and continue treatment... but according to my dad's urologist too much water decreases blood's pH so...

I say try it. It's hard specially if you don't like plain water.

Also worth mentioning that purified water (stripped of all its minerals) should be taken only for isolated periods of time such as body cleansings and fasts.

Water with minerals brings the minerals to your body.

Water without minerals acts like a sponge that takes your minerals and flushes them out.

Just something that I read.

not in my experience...

same here, and I drink about 4-5 (16 fl oz) water bottles a day. If you do decide to try it yourself be careful of water intoxication.

No because there are all sorts of other things that cause acne like hormone levels and stress. and too much water would cause water intoxication - dunno what that is but it's not good.

No because there are all sorts of other things that cause acne like hormone levels and stress. and too much water would cause water intoxication - dunno what that is but it's not good.

Too much water in your system can deplete levels of ions essential for cell functions... Water and cells have a pretty cool relationship, I like to call it "equal sharing." If you put water (note that this is drinking water, water that contains dissolved ions, and not deionized or distilled water, which you should never drink) near a cell, the cell and the surrounding water will transfer the things they have until there are equal concentrations of "stuff" on each side. So if you have too much water, suddenly your cells have all the "stuff" and has to share with the water, and in some cases can give up too much "stuff" and inhibit normal cellular function. When you get "water intoxication" this is what happens, only it happens in your brain... electrolytes get pushed out of the cells and your brain can't do all the sweet electrochemical reactions it needs to. The amount of salt you have in your diet normally can affect how easily this can happen to you--if you don't eat much of it, or exercise and sweat a lot, it's a lot easier for it to happen.

Adequate hydration can help regulate fat movement and reduce blockages. (not too much, not too little)

Too much water in your system can deplete levels of ions essential for cell functions... Water and cells have a pretty cool relationship, I like to call it "equal sharing." If you put water (note that this is drinking water, water that contains dissolved ions, and not deionized or distilled water, which you should never drink) near a cell, the cell and the surrounding water will transfer the things they have until there are equal concentrations of "stuff" on each side. So if you have too much water, suddenly your cells have all the "stuff" and has to share with the water, and in some cases can give up too much "stuff" and inhibit normal cellular function. When you get "water intoxication" this is what happens, only it happens in your brain... electrolytes get pushed out of the cells and your brain can't do all the sweet electrochemical reactions it needs to. The amount of salt you have in your diet normally can affect how easily this can happen to you--if you don't eat much of it, or exercise and sweat a lot, it's a lot easier for it to happen.

I was hoping for someone to say this. Too bad it took until the 10th reply to get to this.

You're talking about electrolyte balance. I think it's really utter BS to drink 2 liters of non-caloric water a day. Your body can tell and separate "stuff" from caloric water (even foodstuffs like meat, potato chips, rice, etc.). So if you drink 8 glasses of OJ a day compared to 8 glasses of water, it is roughly the same. But if you drink too much water you dilute the electrolytes in your body (sodium, potassium, chloride, calcium, magnesium, among a few others), and eventually this leads to electrolyte imbalance...which is fatal.

Of course most people do not have this problem, the kidneys secrete excess water and electrolytes. But like diabetes, do this long enough and you will have problems.

No, drinking a ton of water alone will not clear your acne. But from my experience, acne is most likely a result of toxification of the body and drinking water is a big step in the right direction. Remember we are like 78% water and we die within days without it.

Water intoxication is EXTREMELY rare, and generally only occurs in infants, and atheletes who are say running a marathon (not the infants, the atheletes!). The key is not so much how much water you drink (the body is capable of processing 15 litres of water per day), but how QUICKLY. If you drink an enormous amount (and we're talking litres here) all at once then you run the risk of intoxication. This is what happened to Leah Betts when she took an ecstacy tablet and because she had been told that you need to drink lots while on ecstacy to counteract the dehydration effect (which is true, but within reason), she went overboard and ended up effectively internally drowning.

Scary stuff, but really no need to worry guys - I have done water fasts where I have eaten nothing and drunk only water (at least 3 litres per day) and herbal teas for days, and I am still here to tell the tale!

Drink as much water as feels comfortable, don't make yourself sick and bloated on it and you'll be fine. Most importantly, don't let threads like this put you off drinking lots of water - it's the best thing for you and in moderation can only do you good!

Water intoxication is EXTREMELY rare, and generally only occurs in infants, and atheletes who are say running a marathon (not the infants, the atheletes!). The key is not so much how much water you drink (the body is capable of processing 15 litres of water per day), but how QUICKLY. If you drink an enormous amount (and we're talking litres here) all at once then you run the risk of intoxication. This is what happened to Leah Betts when she took an ecstacy tablet and because she had been told that you need to drink lots while on ecstacy to counteract the dehydration effect (which is true, but within reason), she went overboard and ended up effectively internally drowning.

Scary stuff, but really no need to worry guys - I have done water fasts where I have eaten nothing and drunk only water (at least 3 litres per day) and herbal teas for days, and I am still here to tell the tale!

Drink as much water as feels comfortable, don't make yourself sick and bloated on it and you'll be fine. Most importantly, don't let threads like this put you off drinking lots of water - it's the best thing for you and in moderation can only do you good!

Very good post. Water intoxication IS very rare, but as Super Bellybutton pointed out, the thing one must worry about when undergoing any sort of water-cleansing regimen is that electrolytes (like salt and sugar) have to be replaced too, not just water. This can be done through eating food too, of course, but it's important to maintain both the right level of hydration and the right electrolyte balance. I think people should just steer clear of any diet or regimen that says "eat no salt and drink only water." That's where it could get potentially dangerous.

i drank alot of tap water for a week, face didn't seem to get any better

and i also tried alot of bottled water for a week, and it also didn't help so for my body, didn't do a thing.

and i also tried alot of bottled water for a week, and it also didn't help so for my body, didn't do a thing.

Tap vs. bottled water really doesn't make much of a difference... The primary difference is that usually bottled water is not chlorinated, though it often is and people think that it won't be simply because it's bottled. I carry a nalgene and fill it with filtered tap water.

Tap vs. bottled water really doesn't make much of a difference... The primary difference is that usually bottled water is not chlorinated, though it often is and people think that it won't be simply because it's bottled. I carry a nalgene and fill it with filtered tap water.

I have read that most bottled water contain more minerals than your tap water such as calcium, magnesium, and potassium...these minerals are essential for the body.

the thing one must worry about when undergoing any sort of water-cleansing regimen is that electrolytes (like salt and sugar) have to be replaced too, not just water. This can be done through eating food too, of course, but it's important to maintain both the right level of hydration and the right electrolyte balance. I think people should just steer clear of any diet or regimen that says "eat no salt and drink only water." That's where it could get potentially dangerous.

I think you only need to worry about electrolyte balance if you are doing a water fast drinking only purified water. Normal filtered or tap water (or bottled for that matter) water does not leach the minerals and electrolytes out of you body in the same way as distilled/purified water does, so it really is'nt an issue on a 'normal' water fast. Some people do drink purified water whilst water fasting as it has the effect of a sponge soaking up all the toxins out of body cells, but i imagine it would only be suitable for fairly short periods of time and probably it would be wise to supplement with certain salts such as sodium and potassium, which are two crucial elecrolytes which control a host of bodily functions and movement in and out of cells by means of the sodium-potassium pump.

You are right though, water fasts can be potentially dangerous for certain people, especially diabetics, and I certainly would'nt recommend anyone do one without fully educating themselves first...

You are right though, water fasts can be potentially dangerous for certain people, especially diabetics, and I certainly would'nt recommend anyone do one without fully educating themselves first...

why would a diabetic go on any fast >.>

An good amount of water per day will optimize health and may help acne, but It's not going to cure it. There's such a thing as too much water.

I think you only need to worry about electrolyte balance if you are doing a water fast drinking only purified water. Normal filtered or tap water (or bottled for that matter) water does not leach the minerals and electrolytes out of you body in the same way as distilled/purified water does, so it really is'nt an issue on a 'normal' water fast. Some people do drink purified water whilst water fasting as it has the effect of a sponge soaking up all the toxins out of body cells, but i imagine it would only be suitable for fairly short periods of time and probably it would be wise to supplement with certain salts such as sodium and potassium, which are two crucial elecrolytes which control a host of bodily functions and movement in and out of cells by means of the sodium-potassium pump.

Drinking distilled or deionized water is just plain dumb. It may soak out toxins, but it soaks out everything else too. As I explained above, there's an "equal sharing" relationship between semipermeable membranes like our cells have and water and ions. Fastest way to kill a bunch of cells is to surround them with distilled or deionized water. They fill with more and more water and lose electrolytes to balance the concentrations inside and outside the cells... but they can never reach equilibrium. So they explode.

why would a diabetic go on any fast >.>

Same reason anyone else would, to improve their health. But because of their blood sugar issues, fasting is generally not recommended for diabetics, unless supervised by an experienced practicioner.

Drinking distilled or deionized water is just plain dumb. It may soak out toxins, but it soaks out everything else too. As I explained above, there's an "equal sharing" relationship between semipermeable membranes like our cells have and water and ions. Fastest way to kill a bunch of cells is to surround them with distilled or deionized water. They fill with more and more water and lose electrolytes to balance the concentrations inside and outside the cells... but they can never reach equilibrium. So they explode.

Could be dumb, don't know though cos I've never tried it. I would definately be cautious and would have to do alot of research to convince myself it was ok - there is alot of conflicting info out there. But my overriding feeling is that it is probably not too safe, as I explained above.... :)

Just passing through this forum. I needed some advice so i thought i'd return the karma by responding to a few threads.

The condition of drinking too much water is hyper-hydrosis. Yeah, it's rare.

I think i saw a post saying we don't have to worry about water... in fact there was a study done for US and Canada. The average person does not hydrate their body adequately. Water is good, but it flows everything through your body faster and reduces absorption of other nutrients. So it's good to drink between meals.

Electrolytes. Yep, they are part of hydration. If you don't have enough electrolytes, even if you drink tons of water, you will become dehydrated. Here they are (sorry, sugar aka glucose is not one of them):

[sodium (Na+), potassium (K+) , chloride (Cl-), calcium (Ca2+), magnesium (Mg2+), bicarbonate (HCO3-), phosphate (PO42-), sulfate (SO42-)]

They are all conducting minerals. Drinks like Gatorade or other sports water include sodium and chloride because we loose these two minerals through sweat mostly. Depending how much you sweat, you could need more of these (athletes). Hospitals generally have sodium, chloride, and water mix for hydration.

Generally we get enough electrolytes through food, but it would be nice to have some in our drinking water. Btw, i see lots of posts talking about antibiotics and probiotic. If you are concerned about your bacteria level aka immune system, you might want to avoid tap water or get a chlorine filter.

I hope this info is of use to someone.

Generally we get enough electrolytes through food, but it would be nice to have some in our drinking water. Btw, i see lots of posts talking about antibiotics and probiotic. If you are concerned about your bacteria level aka immune system, you might want to avoid tap water or get a chlorine filter.

Actually, tap water is less likely (than, say, water in a river or bottled water) to have bacteria because it is chlorinated and sterilized through a treatment process. Chlorine kills buggies.