Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AutonomousOne1980

ACNE, Vitamin A and Beta-Carotene, My theory

Very interesting :think:

There are side-effects resulting from too much beta-carotene, your skin (mainly palm of the hands and soles of the feet) may go a yellow tinge if you take too much in.

Perhaps you could try and arrange some kind of trial/study with people from these message boards AutonomousOne, a lot of people were happy to try the Paleo diet.

Finally I think it's definitely better to get beta carotene from natural sources:

'It has been shown in trials that the use of synthetically-produced beta carotene (that is, beta carotene in supplement form such as the pills typically sold in stores) increases the rate of lung cancer and prostate cancer, and increases mortality in smokers. These results have been observed in beta carotene supplements and not in foods with naturally occurring beta carotene.' :eh:

When i ate raw carrots 2 a day i was perfectly clear but then I stopped and now get breakouts. There may be something in it.

I eat veggie sandwiches twice a day with carrots and haven't broken out since (but I'm an abnormally healthy person). They usually contain rice bread (I believe I'm intolerance to wheat/gluton), red pepper humus, spinach, avacado, carrots, vegenaise, broccoli sprouts, and veggie cheese. I also take borage oil capsules (after a meal with lecithin mixed into almond milk to increase absorption), a multi-vitamin, and flax seed oil. Wash with water or honey, tone with a toner i made myself (triple strength green tea, aloe, and lemon juice), and if I'm in the mood... aspirin face mask/scrub (made by crushing cheapo aspirin tablets and mixing with water). Seems to be working well!

There is some truth to this. In my research I came across some scientific studies that show that acne is caused by a genetic defect that causes the body to deactivate retinoic acid. Just to a search on Google for "cyp1a1" which is the enzyme responsible for rapidly metabolizing vitamin a to an inactive substance. I even tried using a cyp1a1 inhibitor called Resveritrol which did help to some degree. I stopped because the taste was too gross and it was very expensive.

Very interesting cuz ive had a lot of experience with this...

When I was a kid and just starting to get acne, my dad did some research i guess and decided I should take beta-carotene(and possibly zinc too) in pill form. It never really worked and I stopped using it(i dont remember exactly how long I tried it, but it was probably a good couple months). Now im 16 and it was suggested I try it again. For several months now, every morning I take two zinc pills(not sure exact dosage, but i'll get it if anyone thinks its relavent) and 4 beta carotene pills, 25,000 I.U.(or whatever it is...U.I. maybe), so 100,000 daily, and ts basically done nothing.

I cant exactly say thats 100% proof that the pills do nothing cuz theres no way to know everyone's acne is caused by the same thing, but after reading here about how beta carotene in pill-form is supposed to be useless, i havent took them this morning and im stopping. I've got a carrot in my hand right now(honestly cant say ive ever in my life just straight up eaten a whole carrot) and im gonna start eating them all the time, and maybe some of the other foods mentioned if i hear more about them. So im gonna be eatin carrots and checkin up on this thread. :)

Very interesting cuz ive had a lot of experience with this...

When I was a kid and just starting to get acne, my dad did some research i guess and decided I should take beta-carotene(and possibly zinc too) in pill form. It never really worked and I stopped using it(i dont remember exactly how long I tried it, but it was probably a good couple months). Now im 16 and it was suggested I try it again. For several months now, every morning I take two zinc pills(not sure exact dosage, but i'll get it if anyone thinks its relavent) and 4 beta carotene pills, 25,000 I.U.(or whatever it is...U.I. maybe), so 100,000 daily, and ts basically done nothing.

I cant exactly say thats 100% proof that the pills do nothing cuz theres no way to know everyone's acne is caused by the same thing, but after reading here about how beta carotene in pill-form is supposed to be useless, i havent took them this morning and im stopping. I've got a carrot in my hand right now(honestly cant say ive ever in my life just straight up eaten a whole carrot) and im gonna start eating them all the time, and maybe some of the other foods mentioned if i hear more about them. So im gonna be eatin carrots and checkin up on this thread. :)