Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

So I went today for more cortisone injections. I told him the antiboitics were making me feel a little sick. And I did get a lot worse this week (ha....just got my peroid....I wonder why my acne got worse...hmmmm). Anyway he injected another 7 cysts.....and for some reson he missed a few nodules. Then he said I can stop taking them if I feel sickI really do feel sick if I take them.....like hot and dizzy and my heart races.........I don't want to chance an allergy and I'm a big baby and I don't like sidre effects of medications I don't want to be taking.

So then he suggest photodynamic light therapy at a whopping 425$ a treatment and I need at least 4-6 since my acne is nodulocystic and very "persistant"......So since I'm so good at math I told him it will cost me 1700-2550$ and insurance won't cover it.

I said I'm poor and I can barely afford all these copays for my weekly cortisone injections and stupid medications that don't work....... :boohoo:

(maybe they do for a little while, but the acne always comes back and I'm fucking sick of it)

Then he give me like 20 samle tupes of nicomide cream. All it is is a cream that conatins nicotinimide. It's greasy and smells bad. I could make a better one at work....it's not even a prescription....I can get it OTC.....hell I could make it at work....I have nicotinamide (which is actually good for skin....but it's not going to cure cystic acne).

I have an appointment on on the 22nd and one on the 29th. I'm only using them for cortisone injections. I'm switching derms. I'm going to call around. I'm gonna ask my pharmacist to refer me to one that she says is very liberal about prescribing Accutane. I'll only see my PA for cortisone injections and tell him I'm switching as soon as I can get an appointment with another one. I met the fucking criteria......but maybe I shouldn't have told him about the headaches the Nicomide gave me or the dizzyness the Amoxicillin gave me, but I though it would speed up the process......I guess not.....

So he doesn't want to play my little game.....I'm sure another dermatology group will be more than willing to take my 30$ copays and get paid by my insurance company.

I'll even go to an out of network derm and just get my 60% reimbursment if I know he'll prescribe Accutane...........

My face hurts.....this sucks.....

Good for you. See a derm. that will listen. That's what I'm gonna do. You be your own advocate.

if you have bad cysts and they are bothering you that much you should DEFINITELY be prescribed accutane if you're ok with the risks (it can mess you up. it made my hair fall out for quite awhile and also made it curly, which it still is to some extent to this day and probably always will be.). but it can help especially with cystic acne - i had pretty much every skin problem under the sun and while i still definitely have bad skin i don't ever get big pimples anymore, and small ones are a lot more scarce.

dermatoligists in my experience can be HORRIBLE, practically scam artists, and i would try every otc combination possible before trying laser stuff at that price. i'm not really sure that a laser treatment could help with cysts anyway but i would certainly ask around here.

if you have bad cysts and they are bothering you that much you should DEFINITELY be prescribed accutane if you're ok with the risks (it can mess you up. it made my hair fall out for quite awhile and also made it curly, which it still is to some extent to this day and probably always will be.). but it can help especially with cystic acne - i had pretty much every skin problem under the sun and while i still definitely have bad skin i don't ever get big pimples anymore, and small ones are a lot more scarce.

dermatoligists in my experience can be HORRIBLE, practically scam artists, and i would try every otc combination possible before trying laser stuff at that price. i'm not really sure that a laser treatment could help with cysts anyway but i would certainly ask around here.

So overnight I grew another three nodules and the nodlules he missed yesterday are now nice big fat cysts with no peaks in sight.......I have an important lunch this week at the Tavern on the Green in NYC (a work thing) and I can't have visable cysts......This looks so unprofessional.

I may have to make an appearence on Wednesday to have these monsters injected.......that will be twic in one week........He's going to be soooo sick of seeing me..........I'm getting sick of spening 30$ every time I go.........

On Monday I'm gonna start calling around fo a new derm.........

Even my fiance thinks it's bullshit and I should get Accutane. And he's really against drugs like that. But who wants to marry pizza face right........Even he admitted it's getting way out of hand....

A kid at a birthday party (I do kids parties part time on the weekends) asked me if I got stung by bees......she said they look like bee stings.....and she was right.....they do kinda look like bee stings.......

So overnight I grew another three nodules and the nodlules he missed yesterday are now nice big fat cysts with no peaks in sight.......I have an important lunch this week at the Tavern on the Green in NYC (a work thing) and I can't have visable cysts......This looks so unprofessional.

I may have to make an appearence on Wednesday to have these monsters injected.......that will be twic in one week........He's going to be soooo sick of seeing me..........I'm getting sick of spening 30$ every time I go.........

On Monday I'm gonna start calling around fo a new derm.........

Even my fiance thinks it's bullshit and I should get Accutane. And he's really against drugs like that. But who wants to marry pizza face right........Even he admitted it's getting way out of hand....

A kid at a birthday party (I do kids parties part time on the weekends) asked me if I got stung by bees......she said they look like bee stings.....and she was right.....they do kinda look like bee stings.......

sorry to hear that. my little cousin and my godson who are realli young make comments and it kinda hurt but im over it. ur dermatologist sounds like a sob and he shuld die. get a new one and go on accutane. seriously its the best thing you can do.

The game your derm plays with you is just rediculous. Kids parties! ah! that sounds like a nightmare only because little kids and their rude comments. I remember I would go to work and wear makeup only because it was just too embrassing to have little kids stare and ask you or their parents whats wrong with your face.

You derm should feel like shit...

Obviously he never had acne...I'm glad you're going to look around for another derm.

I went to my old derm (i go to a different one during the semester) and the first time she saw me she gave me accutane..So I'll be driving 3 1/2 hours every month to see her...

But she's very liberal with accutane..

You'll be on accutane before you know it.....

Actually, my old derm squeezed me into her schedule because she thought i was just getting cysts injected and we ended up talking about accutane and she signed me up for ipledge...Maybe if you let the receptionist know how desperate you are they'd get you in sooner....

The game your derm plays with you is just rediculous. Kids parties! ah! that sounds like a nightmare only because little kids and their rude comments. I remember I would go to work and wear makeup only because it was just too embrassing to have little kids stare and ask you or their parents whats wrong with your face.

I think the parents are worse. It's rare that the kids ever make comments, and when they do they really just don't know any better. it's not like they're ever like "ewww... that girl has pimples." One kid was arquing with me as to weather or not I'm a 'teenager'. He said "you have to be because you have pimples like my brother." One little three year old reffered to them as "boo-boos."

I had a parent once confront me because she thought I had chicken pox and her kids weren't immunized. I told her I had acne and she asked if I tried Proactiv.

The kids are way less worse than grown ups. Believe it or not they actually stare less and usually don't ask questions about it. Today the little girl felt bad because she thaught I really did have bee stings.......it's not like she was making fun of me.......

Maybe I can try to get into see a new derm if I pretend it's just for a quick cortisone injection.........

Girl, I feel your pain. Crying always worked for me.

I have gone through that SO many times.

Good luck and keep us posted!

oh God! you just hold your head high and get you a new derm. everythign will workout in the end. this is bullshit :( fucking derms i hate them with all intensity. they will suck you for every penny they can .

Jesus, woman, I cannot believe the nerve of your doc. I think if it were me, I'd have broken down into tears and bawled like a baby. You are definitely in need of some serious medication! How dare he mention piddly-ass laser treatments for such an exorbitant amount of money!?!? Like we all have that amount of cash laying around the house! Anyway, I did laser treatments, and a month after my last one was finished, my acne came back twice as bad, w/extra oily skin to top it off. NOT WORTH IT! I had no idea that that was a possible outcome, but do you think the derm who was selling me the treatments reiterated that little fact to me? Hell no! I'm sure they really do work for some people, but for me, it was a complete and utter waste of time and money.

I'm sending good karma waves your way, lady! You deserve to get on the 'tane, and soon! I hope you find a good dermo, ASAP!

Jesus, woman, I cannot believe the nerve of your doc. I think if it were me, I'd have broken down into tears and bawled like a baby. You are definitely in need of some serious medication! How dare he mention piddly-ass laser treatments for such an exorbitant amount of money!?!? Like we all have that amount of cash laying around the house! Anyway, I did laser treatments, and a month after my last one was finished, my acne came back twice as bad, w/extra oily skin to top it off. NOT WORTH IT! I had no idea that that was a possible outcome, but do you think the derm who was selling me the treatments reiterated that little fact to me? Hell no! I'm sure they really do work for some people, but for me, it was a complete and utter waste of time and money.

I'm sending good karma waves your way, lady! You deserve to get on the 'tane, and soon! I hope you find a good dermo, ASAP!

I have an appointment tomorrow at 9:45am, with a new derm. She's a woman too so maybe she'll understand a bit more. I asked the nurse about how she feels about Accutane, and I told her that I go almost weekly for usually about 7-10 cortisone injections, with the exception of my "clear" week, which ironically began yesterday (period over waiting to ovulate....estrogen is climing so andrognes are dropping...hence no cysts for about 5 days, and limited pustules and papules). Anyway I made a little photo journal on my cell phone of my how my acne looks from day to day. I've got cysts galore and the scarring is really visable in a few of them, even ones I didn't know I had........so even if I don't look bad tomorrow I'll still have something to show her...........

The nurse told me she does prescribe it to anyone with moderate persistant acne. She understood my concern about antibiotics (I've had Steven's Johnson's twice from 2 different classes of antiboitics) and that I'm not a fan of yeast infections (women understand this....men don't)..........she said she'[ll sign me up for I pledge tomorrow if she thinks I'm a candidate, which she says I sound like I am if I require 7-10 cortisone injections a week ....I've have over 50 in the past six weeks (I need to update my sig don't I ??)..........and my acne is nodulocystic and scarring.........

yeah, I think women derms undertand...My derm suffers from acne herself, so she truly understands how acne can screw up your life..I'm SURE they'll sign you up for ipledge asap..

My skin always cleared up for my appointment, but i started coming in for injections and they saw how my skin really looked...

I'm so happy for you!!! :dance:

No Accutane for me. Derm #2 said no too. I thought she'd be cool at first. She said acne is the reason she bacame a derm, she's 57 and had it for 45 years, and is still batteling it. She said my acne is actually severe and nodulocystic.....um yeah I knew that already. They sounded so pro-accutane on the phone, and they do prescribe it. However, I have not tried evey option avialable. I've never had a series of peels and I've never tried lasers or photodynamic light therapy (none are covered by insurance and all will cost thousands).

I have my first peel on the 28th, and I'm supposed to be using in addition to everything I'm pretending to be on metrogel and a benzoyl peroxide wash. I'm so fucking fed up with this shit. Why is this drug so hard to get? My acne is scarring.........The lighting was really good in there and she pointed out that my cheeks are full of rolling scars...some aren't so shallow either.....nice....

This sucks. I reallly thought she's sign me up for I-pledge today. Now I have to wait at least a couple more months. She said the main reason is that I never tried and failed a tetracycline, which are usually the first line of defence againt cystic acne. Since I'm allergic I can't take it to find out if it won't work. Same thing goes for sulfa based antiboitics.......apparantly the amoxicillin and erythromycin aren't conventially used antiboitics so it doesn't matter if I failed those (even though I never took them).

I am giving up. I am not going for those 300$ peels and I'm not going back to my old derm, or any other derm. What is wrong with them? There is a drug that has a 90% cure rate, but I can't have it. She even said out of all the patients she prescribed it to only one of them relapsed and she had PCOS. She wants me to see an endocrinologist and possibly an immunologist to find out what's causing it. I have a feeling I know what's causing it....a glitch in my immune system that makes my epithelial tissue hypersensitive (There are three other conditions I have that are related to realted overactive inflammatory responses). Other family member have conditions that are caused my the same type of reaction. My dad had psoriasis, eczema, and vitiligo and arthritis. My mother has severe MS. It's in my genes....I can't change them so what's the point in seeing an immunologist? She actually suggested I take Benadryl every night before bed..........WTF?

The quest for Accutane is officially over. Let my face me scarred and full of cysts. I give up.......

without wanting to recommend this, especially since you are a female and the drug is teratogenic, i would like to comment that there are various internet pharmacies that sell generic accutane for a fairly good price.

as for my personal believes, i believe everybody should have the power to decide whether they need a medication or not.

i have travelled a lot in my life and when i get a certain reoccuring rash on my leg i go to the pharmacy in thailand or india and get fucidine, here i have to see a doctor.what if its friday, by monday the rash will be unbearable.

not trying to say accutane is like ointment, but still...

my doctor prescribed me accutane when i was 16 with moderate acne vulgaris and no prior treatment history.

fabian

without wanting to recommend this, especially since you are a female and the drug is teratogenic, i would like to comment that there are various internet pharmacies that sell generic accutane for a fairly good price.

as for my personal believes, i believe everybody should have the power to decide whether they need a medication or not.

i have travelled a lot in my life and when i get a certain reoccuring rash on my leg i go to the pharmacy in thailand or india and get fucidine, here i have to see a doctor.what if its friday, by monday the rash will be unbearable.

my doctor prescribed me accutane when i was 16 with moderate acne vulgaris and no prior treatment history.

fabian

I'm not about to order it online and even generic Acccutane is way out of my price range. I would have liked the blood tests to show that my liver is okay and I don't want to have to wait for jaundice to set in before I stop taking it. I like my liver and I want to make sure it's okay. I don't want to go the oline route. I give up on doctors......

I'm going to have to accept having cystic acne. Maybe I will eventually outgrow it. I'll just accept my cysts as a part of me. They say I can't have it....so I can't. Maybe it really isn't that bad and I have some kind of body dysmorphic disorder. That sharp pain every time I open my mouth or my fiance touches my face and that blood on my pillowcases makes me think otherwise....but maybe I'm just imagining all that........

So this is it.....I tried. I really did, but it's not my decision to make. It's kinda sad to know that I'll walk down the isle with cystic acne and that my kids mother will have cystic acne. It's sad that my fiance's bride to be was once a beautiful girl, but now she'll be marred by cystic lesions and a myriad of scars on her once radiant and youthful complexion.....Oh well.......at least I still have great tits (when the acne is under control there).....

At least I had my teens and early twenties...........I have a fiance....it's not like I need to be beautiful (although I'd like to have nice pillowcases...not bloodstained ones)..........

I think I will make this my last post here. I've made it to #2002 and I've been here for almost a year.

I'm glad I've been able to help some of you when I could and I actually learned a lot over the past year.

Good luck with you battles.....hopefully some of you will win yours....

It's been fun,

Sarah

fabian

I'm not about to order it online and even generic Acccutane is way out of my price range. I would have liked the blood tests to show that my liver is okay and I don't want to have to wait for jaundice to set in before I stop taking it. I like my liver and I want to make sure it's okay. I don't want to go the oline route. I give up on doctors......

I'm going to have to accept having cystic acne. Maybe I will eventually outgrow it. I'll just accept my cysts as a part of me. They say I can't have it....so I can't. Maybe it really isn't that bad and I have some kind of body dysmorphic disorder. That sharp pain every time I open my mouth or my fiance touches my face and that blood on my pillowcases makes me think otherwise....but maybe I'm just imagining all that........

So this is it.....I tried. I really did, but it's not my decision to make. It's kinda sad to know that I'll walk down the isle with cystic acne and that my kids mother will have cystic acne. It's sad that my fiance's bride to be was once a beautiful girl, but now she'll be marred by cystic lesions and a myriad of scars on her once radiant and youthful complexion.....Oh well.......at least I still have great tits (when the acne is under control there).....

At least I had my teens and early twenties...........I have a fiance....it's not like I need to be beautiful (although I'd like to have nice pillowcases...not bloodstained ones)..........

I think I will make this my last post here. I've made it to #2002 and I've been here for almost a year.

I'm glad I've been able to help some of you when I could and I actually learned a lot over the past year.

Good luck with you battles.....hopefully some of you will win yours....

It's been fun,

Sarah

you shouldn't give up. Your going through a lot but there will be a derm who will give you accutane there has to be, if its severe and your having loads of cortisone injections i can't understand why they wont give it to you. You seem to have tried most options available to you so you really should have get accutane, i remember all i tried before getting roaccutane was a cream (quinaderm or something like that) and also minocin. After those my derm gave me accutane straight away, i saw a new derm last week about going on accutane again but i only have a 1 nodule, 4 or 5 blemishes and about 3 small -medium sized pimples on my forehead but she understood what i was talking about when i said i just want to be free of them for good and dont want to be scarred and really seemed to listen to me. She put me on trimethoprim first to see if it works (which it isn't) and said if this doesn't work i will be entitled to roaccutane. You sound like you need it a lot more than i do i hardly ever get cysts, i think you have just been unlucky with derms but i think you should really stress to them you want accutane dont just wait for them to bring it up just say you have tried all these topicals and antibiotics and your still getting loads of cysts which are leaving scars. THe derm said to me they have to follow protocol and have to try you on other options before they can prescribe you accutane so after 2-3 different antibiotics and topicals which im sure you will have had by now there is no reason not to give it to you

LabGirl,

I understand your frustration with your skin and derms. Please don't give up! I'm 31 and have battling acne since I was 14. I was fortunate enough to have a wonderful family doctor (not even a derm) who gave me 5 course of accutane from 17-25. That's how bad my severe cystic acne was. But, after all of that, the acne came back. I still deal with it, and I am fed up and depressed. I can't take another course of accutane because the last time I was on it, I had a bad reaction and I can't risk that again. I also have bad anxiety and any medication I am prescribed, I have panic attacks that last days if I feel any adverse side effects. I can't take birth control pills, and I feel hopeless because there is nothing I can do except topicals that don't really do anything except irritate my skin. So now I'm on a do nothing routine as well. I hate the fact that I may have to come to terms with it and hope that one day it will get better. Don't waste your money with the laser treatments. I had two photodynamic treatments and it made my already bad acne severely cystic and oilier for months after. And I paid over $600 dollars for that. Please keep trying to find a derm that is liberal with accutane. They are out there!

I truly hope you don't give up on this. Its terrible that you are having such a tough time getting accutane. Was this the derm that was recommended to you by the pharmacist? There has to be some derm in your area who will prescribe it to you. If the new doctor said your acne is severe, then it certainly doesn't sound like you have BDD! Its surprising that they would make you try a treatment that is extremely expensive and not covered by insurance, before they will let you go on Accutance. That just doesn't make any sense to me.

I also hope you don't stop posting on this messageboard. I'm sure your knowledge about acne and treatments has been incredibly helpful for many people here.

Whatever you decide to do, I wish you the best of luck!!

labgirl, you sound really depressed.

be persistent! i've never heard of anyone having so much trouble getting on accutane! make another appointment with another derm! keep it up till you find one that will prescribe it. I'm sure i dont have nearly as bad of acne as you do and i got accutane after 3 months on minicyclin. that was it. no fuss.

don't give up. it is ridiculous that you have to suffer with this.

Labgirl, I don't post here often but I had to say, please don't give up. I know it's frustrating for you that you've asked for it and been denied. But there is a doctor out there who will prescribe you accutane.

My heart goes out to you. I hope you find someone soon who will help. Anways, just read your thread and wanted to reach out to you.

Please don't give up...I finally found a derm that understands what it's like to have acne...

Make as many derm appointments as possible (if insurance allows) and go see the derms...

Don't give up..I truly don't understand why derms are being that way towards you, but don't give up because of them...

Most of them are doing this because they simply don't want to do that paperwork associated with ipledge...at least that's my opinion..

Labgirl - i understand your frustration. But don't give up. Try another derm. Derms should not be insisting that you use expensive and unproven therapies - the failure of antibiotics and topicals is more than enough to qualify you for Accutane, and Accutane is expensive enough. You just have to find someone who's not such a damn pussy about the whole thing.

I know you can find someone who will treat you. Take a lesson from your acne and be PERSISTENT.

wow, this thread made me really depressed. i only have mild acne (with the occassional weeks of hell-ish acne), but hitting that point of extreme frustration with seemingly no help is the worst - and we've all been there.

labgirl, i can see you live in NJ, and since you have to go to NYC for that lunch or dinner thing, i'm assuming you're closer to NYC than Philly? (since we all know that jersey is small enough for it to be considered really just the metro areas of philly & new york with a turnpike in between, heh.) Anyway, I live in Queens and I still use a derm on Long Island who, I'm SURE would put you on accutane. He offered it to me with my mild-moderate acne AFTER doxy nor mino worked for, but i had to pass because of other liver issues. He's not some quack who is gonna make you try everything on the market before he reluctantly gives you accutane. He was recently voted one of the best derms in the NYC area or the state or new england or something like that. In my opinion, he's an EXCELLENT doctor and a great guy, too. He's very understanding and very thorough. Nassau County on Long Island might be a little far for you, but since you sound ready to give up, if you're at all interested, send me a PM and i'll give you his name, number, and address. (Yes he has Saturday office hours, too.) Don't give up.