Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
IAmPaulAllen

Anybody heard of Ampicillin ??

Derm just prescribed me this after tazorac/duac combo failed (or rather, I told him I would not use it anymore as it made my face 3 times worse after clearing it up 95% in only 4-5 days.......then one of the worst breakouts ever)-- I take 2 doses every day, 500 mg pills.......and use retin-A micro at night as well, in addition to a special benzoder wash they have at the derm office. SO-- I know ampicillin is not as widely used as the other oral antiobiotics like tetracycline or those others.....but my derm said Amp is more effective in some people, and has no side effects, and I have read that it is very difficult for acne bacteria to develop a resistance to it (as such bacteria can do with other oral antibiotics like erethromyicin, sry for spelling here).

SO, PLEASE tell me SOMEONE out there out of the hundreds/thousands of you have taken this pill for acne in the past!? THANKS!

Ok, I used the site search feature, but still would like to hear from someone about their experience with this. My derm, who is apparently a well known one in the chicago land area -- James Lahti.......said that I should be pretty clear in only 2-3 weeks?! All the posts I found say people were taking this drug for months or a year, why would my derm tell me 3 weeks?

I took ampicillin for a lymph node infection i had a few years back, while i was on it my face cleared up nicely.