Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
RebelYell

Worried! (Accutane Dose)

I have been taking accutane for 4 days now, and I am worried that my derm prescribed me 40 mg 1(once) a day! :confused: I read all of your accutane logs and you are all taking it twice a day (morning/night)!.... should I be worried that my derm prescribed it wrong and that hence accutane wont work? what do you all think!

oh thanks dude... im like really confused though cuz even the "how to" that comes with like all the health effects of accutane says twice a day!.... so yeah, i called and she told me that it was just as effective once a day! has any1 else taken accutane once a day for any period in their course of treatmenT?

Nothing to worry. What's important is not how many you take a day, but how much you take during your entire course. After I told my derm about my skin getting extremely dry at time, he said that he could leave my dosage at 40mg/day, although I'd have to take it for 6 months, or he could increase the dosage/day so I can finish the course in a shorter time.

Im on 20mg ONCE a day...just started... this is my second day... :D ... its totally safe... i think they say to have divided doses with only larger amounts... say 80mg...

AlKaMiMe :D

theres people that take a 10mg pill once a week and thats enough to keep them clear with no side effects, its an awesome drug man

I got started off on 40mg too, and i weigh 165+

dont worry bout it.. they just start u off low.. im sure u and i will get upped prolly next month

WOW! what a coincidence... its also my fourth day, and ive also been prescribed 40mg/day... but yeah, i also worried about it being a low doasge... but all is good... what i'm worried about is that mine dosage is 40mg/day for TWO months! ive decided however to come back after the first month to see if i should bump up the dosage... good luck on the accutane. lemme know how ur doing once in a while since we've both started on same days with same dosages.

- Tu

Thanks all for the support... i'll definitely keep you guys update on my process... im thinking about starting a log later today!!!

Thanks all for the support... i'll definitely keep you guys update on my process... im thinking about starting a log later today!!!

If your taking 40 mg then that can easily be taken with 1 pill. Other people on doses like 60 and 80 have to take more than 1 pill because usually it only comes in 10mg, 20mg, 40mg pills. So someone on 80mg would take 2 40mg.. and thats why they take it twice a day even though it prob wouldnt matter if they just took both at the same time.

My derm told me that it doesn't matter if the pills are taken together or spread through the day. It's different than an antibiotic, which you want to have spread throughout the day. I don't know the reason for this, but that's what my derm told me!

P&W

yeah that definitely makes a whole lot of sense!! higher prescribed doses = more pills administered... and yeah i mean they have to try and spread out the time between each of those two pills as much as possible because 80 mg of acc all at once isnt all that good! I want to thank you all for your help and support! Visit my accutane log at http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php...!!!!

im on day 13 of 40mg a day. i was really worried about this too. i havent asked him if he will up me to 80, but according to everything, like you said, thats what i should be on. i am 25/f/175lbs. and when i read stuff, people of my weight are on 80mgs...so i dont know, the only thing i can think of is maybe it is like this for the first month? either that or my insurance only approved this much :( which would suck...

im on day 13 of 40mg a day. i was really worried about this too. i havent asked him if he will up me to 80, but according to everything, like you said, thats what i should be on. i am 25/f/175lbs. and when i read stuff, people of my weight are on 80mgs...so i dont know, the only thing i can think of is maybe it is like this for the first month? either that or my insurance only approved this much :( which would suck...

Yeah! I so get where you're coming from! I've seen that many ppl on here over their 4 or 5 month periods have gradually increased on their dosages! For example: 1: 40 mg 2: 40 mg 3: 60 mg 4: 80 mg 5: 80 mg... but then again I havent really talked to my derm on the actual duration of treatment, or the intensity! :wall: I am soo calling her 2morrow morning! you should give yours a call toO, and like either PM me or post back in my accutane log! the links on my signature! :D