Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
emily88

Needling in Seattle

I have a few shallow indented scars from acne/chicken pox (about 5 small ones on each cheek, and 4 on my forehead) but they're not noticeable to anyone but me. Whenever I go out to buy cosmetics, salespeople would comment on my "great skin" :rolleyes: . This makes me feel like crap since I look at myself and all I see are spots and imperfections. I live around the Seattle area, if anyone knows of a reputable dermatologist/permanent makeup artist/tattoo place that does needling for scars PLEASE lemme know. I'm becoming quite obsessed and I really want these things off my face and needling seems to work for a lot of people here but I'm too chicken to try it on myself. Thanks a lot!

Hi Emily -

I just replied to your post in the main needling thread. I just had needling done today by Lisa Lam of Biotouch Canada in Vancouver, BC. 1-604-873-3636. I am pleased with her. If you are willing to make the drive, it's well worth it. She has a medical background.

Good luck!

- Christy

Petlover,

What's the downtime with Ms Lam's treatment? Thanks!

Emily,

I live in Tacoma and have been looking for someone in the area who does this for a few years and have not had any luck. There's a place in Oak Harbor called Forever Pretty that does needling and the woman who does it is very nice, but she wasn't willing to try it on my skin. She doesn't want to risk making things worse, so only treats deep scars. Best of luck and please let me know if you find someone here in WA.

Meg -

The downtime with needling is typically anywhere between 4-6 days during the scabbing/flaking period. There will be some redness/pinkness in the scars afterwards, but concealer can be used.

By the way, before I found Lisa (thank goodness I did!) I spoke to Tammi of Forever Pretty. That was about 2 weeks ago. She quoted me $1,000 (read: one thousand, not a typo) per cheek. Since most people have scarring on both cheeks, one single treatment = $2,000. That probably doesn't even include forehead scars, lol. I am under the impression that the woman is either a) extremely greedy b) is not interested in acne scar clients c) needs to charge outrageous fees to cover her liability due to her lack of confidence in her ability. Any of the above is a red flag IMO.

- Christy

Meg,

That sucks that the lady at Forever Pretty wouldn't perform needling on you. I heard overall it is a pretty safe process and I don't think anyone has reported worse scarring except among the self-needlers, and even then it's quite rare. If your scarring is on the mild side, I'd also suggest using a topical retinoid (taz, retin-a) for a while and see if it helps any.

Lisa offers a free consultation if you are interested. She seems pretty well-trained/experienced. Best of luck!

Emily & Christy,

I did contact Lisa Lam and may go up there for treatment. It'd be nice if I could find more feedback on her from satisfied customers, but at least her work on perm. makeup repair looked wonderful on her site. That seems like a good sign. I'd've really liked to have Susan Church or a protege do the treatment, but I don't want to wait until I can go to LA. Thanks to both of you for your advice and good luck

Meg -

I don't think Lisa has been doing dry needling on many clients yet - only 2 people I saw pics of, but I didn't give it a second thought because she had been doing surgery on eyes (both corrective and cosmetic - there are also eye surgery pics on her website) for a number of years (and also permanent m/u), so scar needling seemed like such a minor procedure for her in comparison. Today marks day 9 of my needling session with her. My very last scab fell off on day 7, with the majority of them falling off on day 5. Now that all remains is the expected temporary pinkness in the scars, I can see how accurately and evenly each of my 100 scars had been needled (she used a magnifying light during treatment). I am really impressed with her attention to detail, and how clean & sterile her office is. She is very caring and also gives excellent after-service support. I have no regrets and have become a fan of her's now! I am planning to get a second session after 4 months, if needed.

If you are nervous about going to her, please don't be. You will find how she demonstrates herself will quickly make you feel at ease. Good luck, and please share your experience with us if you decide to get needled - you too, Emily!

- Christy

Christy,

How would you describe your scarring? I'm most bothered by my ice picks, enlarged pores and weird texture and I don't really have any 'good' unaffected skin on my cheeks & chin.

Thanks,

Meg

Meg -

Mine are mostly smaller scars, but I have about 100 of them, all on my cheeks and a few on my temples. On 90% of them upon close inspection, there are defined edges and I can see bottoms. Most are moderate in depth. The remaining 10% either have visible bottoms but undefined edges, or non-visible bottoms with defined edges. Between all 100 of them, it's difficult to classify the scars because I think they are all hybrids of each other. I believe I have all types of scars, except rolling ones and hypertrophic ones.

I too, have a weird texture. Mine is where I have scarred/disfigured pores which look like tiny slits, settled amongst a bed of unscarred, but enlarged pores. Next to each other, they resemble wrinkles. This is in an area above the apples of my cheeks and beside my nose. The slit-like scars were needled also. I hope they will respond well. If they don't, I may try next time getting this area treated as if they were rolling scars - good and bad skin needled together. In the meantime, I am going to try clay-based masks to see if it will at least help the enlarged pores, temporarily at best.

Do you think your weird texture is from rolling type scars? Are you thinking of getting your entire cheeks and chin needled as opposed to spot needling? I can recall at least 2 people getting it done this method, who reported good success. One is amorphus (on the main needling thread - I'm not sure if his/her scars were rolling, but I remember his tattooist posted that his skin was 80% scarred) and momof2boyz on another thread (search by username - i think she has pics in her gallery - she had rolling scars). Also, tamara had full area needling (main needling thread - she too, posted pics).

I am feeling positive about needling. Swelling has been gone for days. A few of my scars have subtlely changed shape - not necessarily less deep or smaller. This must be an indication that the remodelling phase is to come. Will post my progress in a couple of months.

- Christy

Meg -

Mine are mostly smaller scars, but I have about 100 of them, all on my cheeks and a few on my temples. On 90% of them upon close inspection, there are defined edges and I can see bottoms. Most are moderate in depth. The remaining 10% either have visible bottoms but undefined edges, or non-visible bottoms with defined edges. Between all 100 of them, it's difficult to classify the scars because I think they are all hybrids of each other. I believe I have all types of scars, except rolling ones and hypertrophic ones.

I too, have a weird texture. Mine is where I have scarred/disfigured pores which look like tiny slits, settled amongst a bed of unscarred, but enlarged pores. Next to each other, they resemble wrinkles. This is in an area above the apples of my cheeks and beside my nose. The slit-like scars were needled also. I hope they will respond well. If they don't, I may try next time getting this area treated as if they were rolling scars - good and bad skin needled together. In the meantime, I am going to try clay-based masks to see if it will at least help the enlarged pores, temporarily at best.

Do you think your weird texture is from rolling type scars? Are you thinking of getting your entire cheeks and chin needled as opposed to spot needling? I can recall at least 2 people getting it done this method, who reported good success. One is amorphus (on the main needling thread - I'm not sure if his/her scars were rolling, but I remember his tattooist posted that his skin was 80% scarred) and momof2boyz on another thread (search by username - i think she has pics in her gallery - she had rolling scars). Also, tamara had full area needling (main needling thread - she too, posted pics).

I am feeling positive about needling. Swelling has been gone for days. A few of my scars have subtlely changed shape - not necessarily less deep or smaller. This must be an indication that the remodelling phase is to come. Will post my progress in a couple of months.

- Christy

Christy how much was your needling session? Did she say what to expect and if you would need to get more done?

Asher -

Her fees are quite reasonable. If you go to her website and click on "services", she lists prices there.

Her website is www.biotouchcanada.com

Actual needling time was 1 hour for me, which is amazing for number of scars I have and the preciseness needed on each. She told me to expect some redness/pinkness after scabbing, to use vitamin C serum and retinoids once healed, to use high spf at all times, and that it will take at least 6 weeks or longer before seeing any improvements. She did say that she thought I would need a total of 2-3 sessions for best results. Although my scars are smallish, they are not superficial or shallow, except perhaps 3 or 4 of them. I think people with shallow scars (even if they are large in size) can get away with the least number of treatments.

Hope that helps!

- Christy

Christy,

Thank you for that detailed description of your scars and the treatment. I'm eager to hear how it turns out for you.

All the best,

Megan

Hi Pet Lover:

You wrote this message many months ago but I thought I'd see if you're still out there. I live in Vancouver and am pondering a visit to Biotouch for scar needling. I was wondering how you're doing now and if you're still pleased with the procedure you had done in the summer. Do you see much of a difference? Would really appreciate an update from you.

Thanks.

ashie.

PS (What a complicated screen here - so many options. I've never posted on this website before so am not even sure how to get it on the board... will try now)... :doh:

Asher -

Her fees are quite reasonable. If you go to her website and click on "services", she lists prices there.

Her website is www.biotouchcanada.com

Actual needling time was 1 hour for me, which is amazing for number of scars I have and the preciseness needed on each. She told me to expect some redness/pinkness after scabbing, to use vitamin C serum and retinoids once healed, to use high spf at all times, and that it will take at least 6 weeks or longer before seeing any improvements. She did say that she thought I would need a total of 2-3 sessions for best results. Although my scars are smallish, they are not superficial or shallow, except perhaps 3 or 4 of them. I think people with shallow scars (even if they are large in size) can get away with the least number of treatments.

Hope that helps!

- Christy