Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Zidane

Shaving makes me break out!

I used to get a few spots when I was younger but hardly any really but since ive started shaving I have had acne much worse.

I currently use an electric shaver then I apply aftershave afterwards. The next day I always seem to get 3 or 4 whiteheads form. I also tend to not use my moisturizer the day I shave which may be worse for my skin.

I also went a week without shaving and got hardly any spots and my skin was much smoother.

What can I do? Also worth a mention im not to keen on growing a beard :D

Sounds like your just like me, for the time being, bristly hairs on my face drive me crazy so I shave em off. Now Zidane, I might be able to help you. You see, shaving is a brutal process that men regularly put their skin through, and this sometimes leaves them with dry, lacerated, irritated skin, but you can still minimize the irritation. Here's what you could do:

#1 Never, I mean EVER use aftershave (the alcohol will burn your skin to cinders)

#2 You can use an electric shaver if you like, personnaly I prefer the manual type (like gilette mach 3 turbo or gilette sensor excel). Heat your blade before you shave.

#3 Make sure you lather well before you shave (you need a good shaving cream for this: try gilette's shaving cream for sensitive skin or Aveeno's therapeutic shaving gel). Wet your skin with warm water before applying the foam, than you may shave.

4# Once the shave is completed, rinse your skin WELL with lukewarm water, then pat your skin dry and wait 5 to 10 mins. Once your skin is completely dry, you may proceed with your acne cream (if this applies) to the affected regions, than you wait another 5 to 10 mins for the cream to be fully absorbed by the skin. Now, once your skin is dry once again, apply the MOISTURIZER over the shaved area (not too much though).

Your skin should be fine after these steps. Let me know if that helps you out.

I'm exactly the same, it's ingrown hairs it's basically the same as spots... the hairs grow outwards and back into your skin making little infections just like acne.

Luckily I don't have much facial hair yet so I don't shave at all because I'm left with dark spots from the bumps. I'd highly recommend you use a "facial hair removing cream" because I'm pretty sure they don't cause acne.

ummmmmm, im pretty sure they dont want to completely remove the hair johny boy

but, i never use foam when i am shaving with my electric.

i do, however, really wet my skin before shaving

-bob

Cheers mate will try next time I shave. Can I use shave foam with an electric shaver?

of course not. and i hate zidane stupid french player.

Here's my deal:

I always, always shave while taking a shower. I usually run the blade (manual) under hot water for 30 seconds or so. Ever since I started shaving in the shower, my chin acne has decreased incredibly. ALSO, change your blade consistently. I've actually been using this same blade for a while and my chin's starting to break out again.

see how it goes!