Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest runnerB

looking in the mirror

Guest runnerB

do you avoid it? i used to, and i think it helped, but then when i WOULD accidentally look in the mirror, after forgetting about how bad my skin was, i would be disgusted and lose all the confidence that i had built up after not looking. so this is my new strategy: whenever i'm about to look in the mirror, i tell myself that my skin is going to look absolutely TERRIBLE, kinda worst case scenario. then when i look and it's not so bad, i feel better about myself. might sound weird, but for me, it's given me self esteem boosts when i really need them

Thats what i do to. Its the worst thing if you wake up in the morning and tell yourself your skins gonna look good, and then you look in the mirror and it's absolute shit. It's so disheartening

yeah my self confidence soars when i dont look in the mirror. now, i only look in the mirror rarely, and before i do, i tell myself im gunna look like shit, but then end up feeling better, and not getting down about it.

yep. i am me when i dont look in the mirror. until one of my friends pointed out that i should shave to keep my spots under control. then i went back to being that loser that i barely recognise. :doh:

whenever i'm about to look in the mirror, i tell myself that my skin is going to look absolutely TERRIBLE,

exactly what I do sometimes. It works for me.

I've also learned how to put on makeup without looking.

Mad skillz.

I look in the mirror a lot. It doesn't make me feel that bad unless I have a massive breakout on my face which now is rare (SWEET!!!). But yeah, I don't think looking in the mirror kills me too much. A little, but...eh...I pretty much know what I'm gonna see so it's not a problem.

When i look in the mirror i see a sad wastland of what used to be a nice health looking young man. Im slowly learning to move on even though i know my life is not going to be what i had expected it to be.

I think it's very important for all of us to realize that our lives aren't over if we have acne--even bad cases. I will admit, not to gloat but because I must be honest, that my condition is probably not as bad as some people posting here. However, I think we should begin redefining the severity of acne based on the degree of distress it causes in the person who suffers it. There is already movement in this direction, redefining the way Accutane is prescribed (this is often misinterpreted as doctoral excess). I am working to become a dermatologist, because my experiences having acne and Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder have led me to theorize that a robust acne treatment must include the option of psychological help (which should be as convenient as possible.) An ideal situation would be opening a joint practice with myself as the prescribing dermatologist and another partner acting as a psychologist. There is something neurotic about the condition of acne (and I'm sure other dermatological conditions) which people are kidding themselves if they ignore.

Its a long segue, but I feel that the "mirror" issue is one that a psychologist, and not a dermatologist, needs to work out. I have found, through my experiences, that not looking in mirrors, if it temporarily reduces anxiety during a treatment, is acceptable. Of course, the ideal situation would be somebody who doesn't care, but these are few and far between, and not feeling forced to look in a mirror is a good thing. A technique I have used is deciding to only look in the mirror twice a day--and when I do, flashing the biggest smile I can. Acne always looks worse on a face with either a sad look or one of horror at the condition. I have no problem seeking out "good" or "forgiving" mirrors, because these truly give the best representation of how the world sees you--in other words, people forgive too, and nobody scrutinizes our faces to the extent that we do. Noone will count your red marks, or pimples.

Early on in a treatment, it is so important (both for the physical healing of the body and the patient's mental state) for patients to not fall into the depression of all depressions over the inevitable initial worsening of the skin. During this time, it is perhaps essential that mirrors be avoided especially in more sensitive patients. What has worked for me during these starts of treatment is being able to take my glasses off whenever I use a public restroom and sticking them in my pocket. My vision is horrible and in doing so, I make sure that I join the ranks of the rest of the world as being someone who never has to see my (healing) face under flourescent lighting.

People who apply makeup will need to look at themselves in the mirror. Although I am a man, I occasionally use coverup (and have needed to as I am still experiencing an initial breakout from starting Accutane). Applying makeup is perhaps the ultimate situation in which we need to confront how we look. In this circumstance, it really is necessary to load yourself up with positive thinking. I enjoy the AAD's statement that "In today's medical climate, there is virtually no case of acne that cannot be cleared up," but I'm sure some of you can think of something a little less dogmatic and pedantic. In other words, be reassuring at all costs.

Finally, I'm a firm believer that it is our responsible to make the experiences in our lives (whether divinely ordained or not I don't know) mean something personal. Whether God gave you acne for a reason or not is beside the point. You have acne and you must make a point of it all. Does it challenge you into other life directions (I would have no knowledge of dermatology at all and no inspiration to go into it without acne)? Does it force you to develop a part of your personality? Can it strengthen you and make you more confident (an unbearable thought for me at one point)? Has it made you a more interesting, nuanced person? Has it helped you become more tolerant of other people? I know I face the temptation daily to stay home, sludge through work, and watch my video collection for the hundredth time, and I succumb sometimes. But acne is not something that "happens" to you--it's a condition you have. It will not kill you and tons of people have it to varying degrees. There are medicines to dramatically reduce it which it is your responsibility to find and take; I would be lying if I said I wouldn't be enormously relieved if Accutane worked for my moderate acne. But acne alone does not have the direct power to turn you into a pathetic person. For me, it has exposed neurotisms in my personality which have nothing to do with acne but are brought out by it--my need for perfectionism, my inability to accept my flaws, my insecurities around other people, my insecurities about my physical appearance even before there was a single pimple on my face.

Just some thoughts not exactly related to the topic. I wish all of you the best and give you my hopes for a clearer tomorrow--both physically, mentally, and spiritually.

ES

Some mirrors are worse then others! I know the one at my work makes my face look far worse then the one in my bathroom at home! I dont keep a mirror in my room cuz as a kid I always was afraid I would look in it at night and see someone standing behind me or sumpin!! I know I have issues!!

Some mirrors are worse then others! I know the one at my work makes my face look far worse then the one in my bathroom at home! I dont keep a mirror in my room cuz as a kid I always was afraid I would look in it at night and see someone standing behind me or sumpin!! I know I have issues!!

ITS NOT the mirror, its the lighting and reflection

I know this problem...

Every f...g night i fall asleep hoping that some sleep will make my skin calm down. Every f....g morning i make myself look in the mirror in case there is a bad breakout somewhere (i wouldn't want to walk around with white shit errupting here and there). And because i look in the mirror i feel terrible the first part of the day. eventually i start to forget what i saw in the morning.

I try not to talk to people because when i do suddenly the morning image arrives in my conscience and unwillingly i imagine what the person who im talking to sees right now.. Ugh.

Surprisingly i have a lot of friends (guys and gals) and a girlfriend... I try to be confident and calm but they just cant imagine how much my calm spirit cost.