Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Charlotta

My questionable relationship with Proactiv

I just read your post and I can relate because I used Proactiv on and off for about four years. I started using it again about five months ago and like you said it cleared up some acne but at other times seemed to make it worse. I stopped using all products (except for Queen Helene) about a month ago. I now just use warm water and 2 or 3 times a week I use Queen Helene oatmeal and honey scrub and at night I use their mint julep mask for my whole face or spot treatment. So far My skin is better than it was on proactiv and I think most people with acne should avoid products with man made chemicals which just seems to make acne way worse because facial skin is delicate and not really meant to be scrubbed and slathered in multiple chemicals. Just to give you an idea,my acne has ranged from non existent to severe. Lookin back it was the worst not when I was a teenager but when I got older , had a job and would buy and use all kinds of face wash,foundation and face powder. I have also bravely stopped wearing makeup.

The reason why i keep going back is that my mom, and my aunts have had incredible results with it- i mean like 1 tiny pimple in a month which is pretty good considering our oily skin. And I would love to try the Queen Helene however it just seems like I've been trying everything that people recommend (rushing to the drugstore w/ my mum's credit card :lol: )....So going back to Proactiv, I feel like as long as I don't use the whole system, I will be fine. I've tried natural products and they didn't do much for my skin. My skin is the type to be a bit sensitive (not too much benzoyl p) but not too sensitive that I can't use powerful acne meds, if that makes any sense.

Hi!

I found that using the proactive kit was way too much bz. I use it for about a year. I find the less I use the better. I still use the cleanser to take off my makeup and night but I use a pea sized amount. In the morning I use a totally different cleanser (st. ives 2 in 1 mask/cleanser) that seems gentler on my skin.

i had perfectly clear skin until proactiv. i got these 3 zits near each other and i thought it was kind of a warning that acne was going to become a problem for me very soon so i went on it. holy crap cysts nodules white heads and several blackheads. drove me insane. ive stopped since then but my skin never has been anywhere near teh same. its gotten so bad im on accutane. i hope my doctor bumps up the dose however, 20mg sucks.

MMMMMMMMMM I TRIED PROACTIV IT WORKED FOR ME FOR A MONTH OR TWO THEN IT STARTED MAKING MY SKIN VERY OILY. MAYBE ITS JUST A COINCIDENCE BUT AFTER A MONTH OR TWO PROACTIV DIDNT WORK AT ALL