Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sammy87

covering red scars, no bumps, just reddish places on face

hey everyone i was just wondering if any of u have ALOT of red scars on ur face from acne, the accutane i'm takin finally made all the pimples go away but i still have alot of red scars mostly on my cheeks none on my forehead. anyway i wanted to know what make up was best for covering them up, usually i only wear foundation that i buy at Macy's called Shisheido (or something like that), i've never tried using concealer i hear that it could make u look fake. please help me find a good look something that looks somewhat natural at least. thanx :angel:

hey everyone i was just wondering if any of u have ALOT of red scars on ur face from acne, the accutane i'm takin finally made all the pimples go away but i still have alot of red scars mostly on my cheeks none on my forehead. anyway i wanted to know what make up was best for covering them up, usually i only wear foundation that i buy at Macy's called Shisheido (or something like that), i've never tried using concealer i hear that it could make u look fake. please help me find a good look something that looks somewhat natural at least. thanx :angel:

In my experience, a concealer can make you look fake unless you use a liquid one. Liquid concealers are usually not really made by higher end makeup brands, but I think Clinique has one...anyways...as for foundation, I use Maybelline Dream Matte Mousse, which generally evens skin tone, but if your red marks are severe, you still may need concealer. I still have a little bit of acne, and with some concealer it works for me, but if you have dry skin, like I do, it can make the flakes stand out. It looks natural when there are no flakes, and if you don't really have acne anymore, I'd say it could work for you. If you want to use a mineral makeup, which a LOT of people seem to like, there are a few brands that people generally talk about: BareMinerals, and Everyday Minerals. There are polls. I think the general consensis is that more people like BareMinerals, but it's a lot more expensive, and Everyday Minerals definitely has it's fans. Also, Everyday Minerals has a free kit you can order at everydayminerals.com I think the shipping is $3.70 (US). You can buy Bareminerals from Sephora, or from Bare Escentuals stores. The brushes are probably of similar quality, but a lot cheaper from Everyday Minerals, so you may want to check into that. Good Luck with your make-up quest!

I have a bunch of red marks on my cheeks that I'm forever trying to disguise as much as possible with makeup. I've found that looking natural and covering the marks completely are sort of mutually exclusive, which is super-annoying but it makes sense: the more makeup you cake on, the less natural you're going to look, but it usually requires at least a few layers of makeup to completely cover the red marks. Liquid foundation covers marks better than powder does, in my experience, but it is also more likely to clog my pores. Right now, I've settled for using powder (mineral) foundation, covering my scars (at least the biggest and reddest ones) with foundation using a concealer brush. The coverage is nice and natural, but my red marks are only about 85% covered, so if you're looking for more than that, this may not be the technique for you. The makeup is good for my skin, though, and my marks are fading -- I just use a lot of Neosporin on 'em to help the skin heal and touch up with my concealer brush every so often.

If you find a good concealer that matches your skin tone as closely as possible, and if you don't cake it on, it won't look fake. I'm also thinking of trying out a green concealer, which is supposed to neutralize red marks. You put the green concealer over the marks and then apply a skin-colored concealer or foundation over it to disguise the fact that your skin is now green :)

Personally, I have a collection of concealers:

1) An exact match to my skintone to cover ordinary scars

2) One with a little more yellow to cover scars that are more red

3) One that is lighter than 1, above, but with the same undertone as my natural skin. This works well to lighten darker scars.

When applying them, make sure to blend the edges of the concealer very well into skin.

I find that with a concealer in a single color, you have to use more product to cover imperfections that might be darker or more red than the average scar, thereby resulting in an unnatural look.

There are also colored creams that come in yellow, green and I've also seen purple. Following color theory, depending on a scar's color, you would use an opposing colored creams to directly negate its color prior to applying the concealer thereby effectively minimizing the need for heavy concealer. In fact, in some makeup demos, I've seen makeup artists apply just a wee bit more foundation over the colored cream without using any concealer.

ahh i'm in the same situation. sucks.

I really like Revlon's colorstay makeup in the TUBE (so not the foundation). it gives me a natural look. some dark red spots will show through, but you can dab those spots with concealer.

Physician's Formula has a green concealer stick that works very well. The reason why is because green cancels out red. When I used to do hair, if I had a client whose color was too red, I used a toner with a green base to cancel out the reddish tones. I always use it to cover the red spots and then follow with my Philosophy makeup. It works extremely well, lasts long and is affordable.