Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

This is a common antibiotic for the treatment of acne. Minocin and Doxycycline are two of the most popular and effective antibiotic treatments for acne.

A few things you should know: 1)It can cause nausea if taken on an empty stomach 2)It will make your skin sensitive to sunlight. Wear sunscreen and do not use tanning beds unless you want burnt skin and brown spots. 3)Do not take it immediately before you lie down for bed. It can cause acid reflux and burn your esophagus. 4)Always take the pill with a full glass of water.

I've taken a few different antibiotics in my time, and each set of instructions tells you to take the tablets on an empty stomach. Any reason why? I was just wondering.

Hey Lisa-

A friend of mine was taking that pill, and I can say in amazement, that it did clear up her skin. I saw her a month after I found out that she was starting to take that pill, and her skin cleared up.. She does have few scars left that are fading.

Goodluck.

I've taken a few different antibiotics in my time, and each set of instructions tells you to take the tablets on an empty stomach. Any reason why? I was just wondering.

Food blocks some antibiotics from being properly absorbed. Doxycycline is not one of them.

A friend of mine was taking that pill, and I can say in amazement, that it did clear up her skin.  I saw her a month after I found out that she was starting to take that pill, and her skin cleared up.. She does have few scars left that are fading.

Doxycycline is not an acne cure. I have found it to be the best antibiotic that I have used to control acne. One month is a very short time to notice any antibiotic for acne working. Are you sure that she didn't have some other type of skin condition that responded to Doxycycline? Regardless, I'm glad that it worked for her. Is she still on it?

Hey everyone,

Thanks for responding. Do you know if this generally causes an initial breakout like B5? I dont want to go through the breakout thing before it gets better.

My skin was so nice before I tried Murad's Salicylic Acid

product. I was only getting about 1 new zit a month but I am never happy so I tried a new product the Murad and it will make you break out before it gets better. Absolutely ruined my skin and I refuse to go through that again. Slowly but Shirley my skin is getting back to its old self.

Hey njacobs, bluetonic & anyone else taking Doxycycline,

What kind of acne did you guys have, severe or mild, cystic...etc.. before you started taking this antibiotic?

I have mild to moderate acne lately and on the website it says people with severe acne should take this antibiotic.... I dont want to have a reverse effect.

Thanks for all of your help

When I began taking it, I had mild to moderate acne with a couple of cysts. I used it in conjuction with topical clindamycin gel and differin. That combo controlled my acne for quite a while. I am off doxy now and seem to be doing fine without it.

Hi again njacobs,

I hope by now I am not driving you nuts with all of my questions. :oops: So scared to take antibiotices but I am willing to give this a shot thanks for hearing everyones sucess. Acne is so damn frustrating.

How long did you take Doxycycline? I am so glad this worked for. A lot of people say that antibiotics work for a while then stops working all of the sudden. I would hate to take it and then it stops working.

anyway, thanks for all of your help :(

How long did you take Doxycycline? I am so glad this worked for. A lot of people say that antibiotics work for a while then stops working all of the sudden. I would hate to take it and then it stops working.

anyway, thanks for all of your help  :(

I took it for 1.5 years. If you take an antibiotic and the acne bacteria become resistant to it, there are other antibiotics to try.