Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

i really think there should be a topic for this, since using sea salt for your face can be a bit trickier than for your body.

eventually, a might try what one person from the sea salt thread did- snorkeling underwater to get it on your face. if this works, it might even be a substitute for the Clear Skin Regimen that I'm on (or i can do the regimen once every other night, too).

however, i don't want to be the first to try this out.

so please, post your experiences in applying sea salt to your face- how you did it and everything. :)

i really think there should be a topic for this, since using sea salt for your face can be a bit trickier than for your body.

eventually, a might try what one person from the sea salt thread did- snorkeling underwater to get it on your face. if this works, it might even be a substitute for the Clear Skin Regimen that I'm on (or i can do the regimen once every other night, too).

so please, post your experiences in applying sea salt to your face- how you did it and everything. :)

I steam my face or submerge it in the bath and just leave my nose out.

To steam it, just boil water and add the sea salt and stir it to dissolve, then steam for 10 minutes.

I do this about twice a week

interesting, rose, cool to see that that helps.......

well, i started my own little experiment today. since at the moment i don't have enough sea salt for too many more baths, i decided to fill up the sink with warm water and pour some sea salt into it and soak my face in for 20 minutes (it's like a simulation for a bath).

since at the time i'm 100% clear with the Clear Skin Regimen on my face, there is no better time to test out how this stuff works. i plan to use it tomorrow night and then follow up each night and i'll post the results.

I've been washing my face with celtic sea salt for almost a month. It's really cleansing and exfoliates.

I dissolve 2 tsps in about a cup of warm water. I use cotton pads and wash twice. letting it dry a little after the second wash. Then I just rinse and dry. I do it 3 or 4 times a day. I've been spot treating with neo since reading Jess's thread and that is getting rid of red marks and old zit marks. I haven't had any new breakouts since I started doing this. I guess I'll be the guinea pig for this one, coz Imma believer!

:D

i stopped doing what i was doing with the seasalt a couple days ago...

but tomorrow i'll get a bunch of seasalt so I can take seasalt baths and then snorkel and then i'll update how it goes.

hope seasalt isn't harsh on the skin...

Does this help with getting rid of blackheads? Just wondering.

well, probably

i'm thinking of this one dumb Clearasil commercial where this lady is like, "i can't get close to my dance partner because of my blackheads."

and then it says that the product contains seasalt, so i guess it should work.

well, over the last few days my skin has taken a turn for the worse. i don't know if it was from the seasalt or not, though. i only used it for 3 days straight and then went back on the bp and ever since the 3rd day (Sunday or Monday), i've been breaking out- first, just a little bit but it just gradually got worse. And i think Tuesday (or Monday night), my nose has just gone crazy. i got a tons of little, nearly microscopic pimples, it's weird.

but it shouldn't be from the seasalt. that wouldn't make sense. i used it once on my back and noticed results just after one bath (and i only used 1 1/2 cups!) and if it were bad for your face, no one would use it on their face and would notice that their face does not clear up from going to the beach.

today is the day that i'll really be able to test out this seasalt by doing it the proper way.

sea salt doesnt do jack squat for me anymore

really... that sucks.

anways, man.... i don't think i'm gonna use it on my face. it hasn't been going good lately, and i'm sure it's because of the 3 or 4 days off the regimen using nothing but saltwater in the sink.

maybe the skin on my face is too sensitive for it?

if anyone has had bad or no results when using it on their face, please tell/p.m. me.

maybe one day i'll try it out again, but for now, it might take at least a week to recover from the breaking out that is happening and then all should be well since i'm using the CSR.

gentleman-in training. . . Sometimes there's other causes for breakouts that might not be so apparent. For instance, I get breakouts and oilier skin right before it rains. and my acne is always worse in the fall and springtime when there's more rain and humidity in the air.

maybe try upping the percentage of salt in the water when you use it. It really SHOULD help, but I suppose everyone's different, and it sucks if it's quit working for you.

Oh, and one other thing (sorry, getting long)

I've stopped having a "set" regimen of what I do. . . because I do think that acne sufferer's have the type of skin that adapts and starts putting out more oil to any new thing we try.

So usually I mix it up, one day I'll exfoliate and wash with sea salt, the next I'll use a bp face wash, and the third day I'll use a peppermint and green tea wash. Then I start over.

I don't know if this will help anyone else, but I like to keep my skin guessing on what oil-controlling product I throw at it.

The only thing consistent in what I do is that I put on BP each night, like most everyone here, I'm sure. But since its not the greatest preventer of acne (without too much drying) the other stuff I do seems to help fight oil without overdrying my skin.

Best of luck.

gentleman-in training. . . Sometimes there's other causes for breakouts that might not be so apparent. For instance, I get breakouts and oilier skin right before it rains. and my acne is always worse in the fall and springtime when there's more rain and humidity in the air.

maybe try upping the percentage of salt in the water when you use it. It really SHOULD help, but I suppose everyone's different, and it sucks if it's quit working for you.

Oh, and one other thing (sorry, getting long)

I've stopped having a "set" regimen of what I do. . . because I do think that acne sufferer's have the type of skin that adapts and starts putting out more oil to any new thing we try.

So usually I mix it up, one day I'll exfoliate and wash with sea salt, the next I'll use a bp face wash, and the third day I'll use a peppermint and green tea wash. Then I start over.

I don't know if this will help anyone else, but I like to keep my skin guessing on what oil-controlling product I throw at it.

The only thing consistent in what I do is that I put on BP each night, like most everyone here, I'm sure. But since its not the greatest preventer of acne (without too much drying) the other stuff I do seems to help fight oil without overdrying my skin.

Best of luck.

yeah, i might have to mix it up with the bp, too, especially when i get to the point of taking a salt bath only a couple nights a week.

i changed my mind again. i just got a bunch of salt and i'm testing it out by putting my face underwater for 30 minutes when taking a bath.

i'll try to wait a week to update it, and then, after the week is over if my face isn't doing any better it's back to the regimen.

sea salt doesnt do jack squat for me anymore

anymore? so it used to work and now doesnt?

lol, i'm dumb.....

anyone who decides to use that sea salt on their face, just let me warn you, it might not be good for the skin there.

as i said, it made me break out a bit over the last week, though luckily the stuff that i get on my forehead practically fades out overnight, so it will not be a problem for it to heal and all.

after talking to my mom, she said that i probably shouldn't use it on my face because the skin there is more sensitive and it probably just irritates it.

maybe for some it works, but for me, it just wasn't a good idea. back to CSR

and of course, i'll keep up the salt baths in addition...

I'm pretty intrigued by this idea because I've heard plenty of times people clearing up from the ocean, so it makes sense to get the ocean in your own bathroom with sea salt. I actually read an article about how the perfect balance of minerals in the ocean is what clears skin, and it's a lot more appealing to use natural salt minerals then harsh synthetic chemicals to clear skin, isn't it? Haha. Anyways, just as an experiment, I dumped some whole sea salt crystals into the bottle of my cleanser. I don't think it's going to dissolve, but I'm sure the salt will atleast give off some mineral content to leech into the cleanser. Then I'm just gonna wash my face as usual with the cleanser. I was also thinking of plugging up my sink, putting hot water and salt in there and then just submerging my head for a bit, coming out for air and then doing some more submersion, that'd be a bit of a pain in the ass though.

The great thing is salt is so cheap and natural, if this had quick results that'd be pretty cool; I've learned to control my acne with diet and internal cleansing so if I break out now it's only 1 pimple unless I fuck up on the diet (eat gluten / dairy), but I still got a few stubborn nodules that won't budge away...

This is my recipe that has helped a lot and I've tried nearly everything. I find over the counter products too harsh for my skin.

I had normally combination to slightly oily skin and never had spots through puberty. I later developed very bad adult acne and really did try everything.

Hormonal imbalance should be treated with evening primrose capsules. Most bottles say 1000mg /day is sufficient however when living in Europe, I found that they actually recommended about 4000-6000mg daily. This amount helped although it does take about 6 weeks.

Other herbal supplements like chinese medicine for hormonal imbalance also work.

Avoid alcohol and any drugs.

I have a mixture that I either spray on my face or use a cotton wool pad to wipe over my face after washing with a gentle cleanser preferably one that is soap free and hypoallergenic. The gentler the better.

In a 100ml bottle, I add mineral water (not tap), about 1-2 teaspoons of sea salt, 5 drops of rose geranium oil, the juice of half a lemon and about 5-10 drops of very pure vitamin E oil. If particulary bad, I also add a few drops of tea tree oil.

If I put it in a bottle with a spray nozzle, I spray it on every few hours and just let my skin absorb it.

If you have very sensitive dry skin, cut down on the lemon and salt and increase the vit E oil or use a moisturiser after. Always gentle and hypoallergenic. I use simple products.

I don't go near acne products as they're too harsh and don't get deep into my skin.

I also find calc sulph (homeopathy) particularly useful.

I avoid oily food and things like butter because when I sweat, my skin feels oilier which leads to the clogged pores that will turn into spots.

The lemon helps to break down the oil in the skin and also breaks down the blackheads and whiteheads. The salt I find absorbs the excess oil. The vit E also helps to fade blemishes as does the lemon. The vit E oil also moisturises and softens. The rose geranium is a bit oily as it's an oil but i find it works wonders for hormonal imbalance and to smooth the skin. The tea tree oil alone can be a bit harsh which is why it's best diluted with something.

Edited by anonrosa

Well, I've heard that sea salt is a great for exfoliating the face. However, you should only use it once or (at most) twice a week. If you use it too much it can irritate your skin and cause worse breakouts. Using it every day is probably not too beneficial. However, it should help your acne if you use it once or twice a week because it sluffs off all the dead skin. And stick to the Regimen, or something with a medicated acne ingredient. I've been using tea tree oil on my face instead of benzoyl peroxide, and it's been doing wonders for my skin. It takes longer to work that bp but doesn't dry out my skin and is quite effective. Hope this helps!

I tried sea salt rinses and submerging my face in the bathroom basin. I got fed up of it and the huge puddles it made on the bathroom floor. It is too time consuming.

I too considered the 'snorkel method' (haha) that I read about on the 'sea salt helped me' thread. However, I'm quite tall, and couldn't work out how I could lie face down in the bath without injuring myself. I'm afraid I gave up before discovering if it worked.

I'm using AHA now for my marks - more convenient :D

I steam my face or submerge it in the bath and just leave my nose out.

To steam it, just boil water and add the sea salt and stir it to dissolve, then steam for 10 minutes.

I do this about twice a week

you are just getting the results as if you didnt put salt in the water. the salt is going to stay dissolved in the water and not steam out with the water. cant be done according to science.

Sea Salt is the only thing that works for me and about 5 other people I know say the same. To make sure you are using it properly you must do a few things

-If your going to fill your sink with water and sea salt, make sure you CLEAN the sink well first. (You are spitting out your toothpaste and washing dirty hands in there, etc.)

-Most important- Use the right salt

-Almost all salts marketed for this purpose are processed which in turn are depleted of their mineral content. Many are gourmet salts. Many are scented. You want pure unadulterated sea salt. Dead Sea Salt is the best. (My sister usually orders salt for me and her from the Dead Sea, I will find out what site she gets it from and post it as soon as she gets back from vacation)

- I have a big glass salad bowl which I use for this purpose. After I clean it, I fill it with very warm water and add 5 TABLESPOONS of my salt to it. Mix it for a minute so the salt can DISSOLVE. With both hands I wash my face in the water repeatedly for about 1 minute. Do not even pat dry your face, let your skin absorb it. it will dry quickly. After about 20- 30 minutes. Wash your face with regular water.

- Use saltwater no more than once every 4-5 days

- Sometimes Ill wash my face in the salt water and go straight to the tanning salon (I have very oily skin and this works for me)

Nothing can cure acne 100% but this stuff really tones it down and clears up your skin. It is a fact that ocean water is good for the skin. I always get results from it.

I've been soaking my ears in a warm sea salt/water solution (1/4 teaspoon sea salt for 8 oz of water) for 10 minutes a day because I just got my ears pierced. I'm breaking out worse than usual everywhere the solution touches.