Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
whatkatydid

my poor flakey grey skin

Although my acne has not cleared up entirely it is now somewhat under control, what i cant seem to control is the texture of my skin. To the touch it actually feels pretty smooth but this is just due to the lotion i apply to my face, but really it is very dry and even flaking in several areas including my chin and around my eyes.

My face is also looking somewhat grey and dull in colour, its all very sad!

I am already drinking a lot of water and intend to continue with that but are there any foods or anything that you think might help me out a little? Thank you all very much!

Hayley.

That sounds like what happened to me while on Retin-A and for about 2 years after I stopped using it. I would suggest using a cleanser with exfoliating alpha hydroxy acids - my skin feels kind of rough if I don't do this. As far as nutrition, maybe consider adding borage oil and fish oil to your diet (for essential fatty acids). Definitely make sure that your skin care products aren't too harsh and you aren't washing more than necessary...

Although my acne has not cleared up entirely it is now somewhat under control, what i cant seem to control is the texture of my skin. To the touch it actually feels pretty smooth but this is just due to the lotion i apply to my face, but really it is very dry and even flaking in several areas including my chin and around my eyes.

My face is also looking somewhat grey and dull in colour, its all very sad!

I am already drinking a lot of water and intend to continue with that but are there any foods or anything that you think might help me out a little? Thank you all very much!

Hayley.

I had that for mooooonths after I got off Proactive. My skin was so grey and unhealthy looking. Drinking lots of water is a good step but also try eating "rainbow food" yeah I know that sounds a bit cheesy but I followed that advice and my skin is so much better. I actually got told how bright and healthy my skin looks a few days ago :surprised: .

So eat A LOT of fruits and vegetables.Blueberries are now in season so theyre pretty cheap as are cherries, eat plent of those, eat strawberries, pears, avocados and the list goes on.

Eat sauteed KALE the miracle vegetable (kale is a big one, it has tooons of vitamin A which is amazing for the skin espcially in food sources). So eat all the colorful, virbant fruits and veggies you can find and add them to your diet. You won't see a quick fix, it took months for me to see a difference but I feel and look so much better.

(A good diet should also help your dry skin but meanwhile try to pick a really good moiturizer. Theyre so damn hard to find. I'm not sure if you've ever tried any Body Shop products but they have a really good Vitamin E facial lotion with SPF 15. It works really well. Its strange because they have a regular vit E moisturizer without the spf 15 thats much thinner and lighter and that one made me breakout but the spf 15 daily E lotion has not caused even one blemish for months).