Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
flyingeagle

retin-a for scars?

ok. just got retin-a from my derm, after I asked her for it. She didn't believe that if would help much.

she said that my skin would look alot better within a year, and that I could have fraxel after that if I wanted to... will retin-a help with fading red marks/improve appearence of scars??

ok. just got retin-a from my derm, after I asked her for it. She didn't believe that if would help much.

she said that my skin would look alot better within a year, and that I could have fraxel after that if I wanted to... will retin-a help with fading red marks/improve appearence of scars??

For my case. it doesn't. If you have scars, i would advise you to live with the embarassment of the scars. This is because there is nothing that can be done on scars! And that is a cruel FACT!

Flattening of atrophic acne scars by using tretinoin by iontophoresis.

Knor T.

Department of Dermatovenerology, Sarajevo University Hospital Center, Bolnicka 25, 71000 Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina. [email protected]

Atrophic scars are a frequent consequence of acne, with a negative esthetic and psychological influence. Treatment of atrophic acne scars includes different invasive methods. In our study, we used a noninvasive method with local application of 0.05% tretinoin gel by iontophoresis. In patients with a tendency towards exacerbation, we performed mild peeling with 5% trichloroacetic acid (TCA) solution 3-4 times during the treatment. Twenty-minute treatments were applied on 38 patients, 29 women and 9 men, during 3.5 months on average. Median age of patients was 21 years (range, 16-29). Clinical assessment included an assessment of scars, pore size, skin moisture, vascularization, and skin firmness and elasticity. As confirmed by photographs taken before and after therapy, the treatment proved to be clinically effective in decreasing acne scars and persistence of effects. Flattening of acne scars was observed in 79% of the patients. The results depended on duration of scars persistence as well as on a the type of scars. The best results were achieved with younger scars as well as with superficial and ice pick scars. Side effects involved a very mild retinoid dermatitis and more often acne exacerbation. The therapy was clinically effective and the patients accepted the treatment very easily. Local therapy of acne scars with tretinoin by iontophoresis can in some cases successfully replace invasive techniques, and could also be combined with those techniques.

link

Tretinoin-iontophoresis in atrophic acne scars.

Schmidt JB,

Donath P,

Hannes J,

Perl S,

Neumayer R,

Reiner A.

Department of Dermatology, Institute of Clinical Pathology, University of Vienna Medical School, Austria.

BACKGROUND: Atrophic acne scars are a frequent problem after acne. Hitherto, mainly invasive treatment measures were possible. In a recent paper, we demonstrated the positive effects of iontophoresis with 0.025% tretinoin gel vs. estriol 0.03%. OBJECTIVE: In this further study, the recording of the clinical effects of iontophoresis with 0.025% tretinoin gel in atrophic acne scars was supplemented by immunohistochemistry investigations of collagen I and III, proliferation markers, and the estimation of epidermal thickness. METHODS: The treatment was performed twice weekly in 32 volunteer patients for a period of 3 months by application of the substance under a constant direct current of 3 mA for 20 min. Skin biopsies prior to and at the end of treatment were performed in 32 voluntary patients in order to investigate collagen I/III and proliferation markers by immunohistochemistry methods. RESULTS: Clinically, at the end of treatment, in 94% of patients a significant decrease in the scar depth was observed. Neither epidermal thickness nor proliferation markers revealed a significant increase at the end of treatment. Furthermore, collagen I and collagen III showed no common trend, as expressed statistically by a lack of significance. In some cases, increases in collagen III became evident at the end of treatment. CONCLUSIONS: Tretinoin-iontophoresis is an effective, noninvasive treatment of atrophic acne scars without causing disturbing side-effects.

link

Here is the abstract for the prior study they're referring to, if you're interested.

Of course, they mention that superficial ice-pick scarring responds best. Many people will here will berate you and say that isn't real acne scarring and that nothing can help the really deep, severe scars. Hey, maybe so, but if superficial ice picks are what you've got, then that's what you should be concerned with. If retin-A can help those, go for it. I'm definitely going to get on a course myself when I've finished my cross treatments to try and remove or at least even out whatever superficial scarring I've got left. If there are deeper ones that I can do nothing for, then so be it.

Note: iontophoresis is:

[. . .] a non-invasive method of propelling high concentrations of a charged substance, normally medication or bioactive-agents, transdermally by repulsive electromotive force using a small electrical charge applied to an iontophoretic chamber containing a similarly charged active agent and its vehicle.

I have no clue if you can purchase such a device to use yourself. I'd recommend you ask your doctor about this. Show her the abstracts and ask her how you can administer the retin-A using this technique.

Please lah!!! For goodness sake, I once had been using retin-A for 5-6 months and no improvements was ever observed. If I were a millionaire, I would sue the manufacturer of Retin-A till he goes bankrupt.

Ice-picks scars are unwanted visitors that firmly entrenched on your skin forever. You can't do anything to it!!! You have to live a life where you admire those people in the media with flawless skin, endure criticism, sarcastic remarks and mocking from friends and family members and members of the public and above all, self-esteem and emotional depreesion.

The tantalising desire of having impeccable skin can only be manifested in one's dreams and in real life, it is inconceivable.

We have to relent our fate as being hideous; We have to imagine or protray ourselves as one individual who has flawless skin, to say the least, we have to be thick-skin!!

Here is my formulae:

A cure for acne scars = PREPOSTEROUS = BULLSHIT

whoever started this post, there is info in this forum how to clear ice pick scars etc through certain methods like microdermabrasion,but there are some that are even better. surf this sight you will find what you need. don't listen to bitter people.

Retin-A is really helping my indented scars. None of them are superficial, either!

Retinoids and the acne free scar care system both work great on clearing up redness and ridding the skin of the more shallow marks. Check out my before and after spread about 6 months apart after using accutane and acne free scar care system for 5 months. Well 5 for the accutane and I still use the acne free scar care stuff. The results were very pleasing and i am essentially left with one bad mark and three small ice pick scars that I am thinkingof having excised. All of my remaining scars are in the same location and to the right side of my face which is odd. Ok check out my gallery as I will hav ethe pix posted there. Bye

Has anybody actually tried retin-A using iontophoresis? Simply applying it topically and hoping it'll do the trick isn't what the literature I've found is saying will work, Lucy. I'm really curious about this since finding these results. These studies were all conducted only in the last ten years, and I'd really like to see if anyone is actually doing it.

I'm sorry retin-A didn't work for you, but remember:

1) Manual topical application is not the procedure being used here.

2) It said 79% of patients saw improvement in young and superficial scars! If you have severe, mature scarring, this isn't going to do anything for you. That doesn't mean it won't help anyone.

Enough with the doom and gloom!! Scar treatment is not the venting forum. Go to emo!

Thanks for posting the study. I only used it occasionally before but when I read that I decided to try it on a regular basis for a few months. I'm seeing improvement with scars and it's also great for fine lines. I also wanted to add, I no longer have active acne, these are old scars on my cheeks, the rolling kind, also some scars there from laser surgery (which I don't recommend).

Edited by Birdie

"ok. just got retin-a from my derm, after I asked her for it. She didn't believe that if would help much.

she said that my skin would look alot better within a year, and that I could have fraxel after that if I wanted to... will retin-a help with fading red marks/improve appearence of scars??"

I have had cystic acne and then had scars. I was on/off Retin A for about a year, and to be honest I don't think it did anything other than make me more sensitive to the sun (a real problem for a fair skinned Floridian). I think just waiting around a year for the Retin-A to "maybe" work is dumb, scars take forever to heal on their own and Retin-A makes you more sensitive to the sun so if you go outside, you get sun which darkens the skin making the scars worse. (Seems stupid to me but I'm not a medical doctor.) I also recommend delaying lasers of any kind without a second a opinion and time. I recommend using some kind of scar gel (like Mederma or a store brand of it), it's cheaper and it works faster than other methods, but you have to have your acne under control first.

I used Retin-A for about three months. Maybe not enough time to see results, I guess, but my biggest issue is that even though it didn't help me it all, it made me break out quite a bit, and in areas that I normally did not break out. This would not have been a big problem except that this breakout took forever to go away AND some of it potentially led to new, lighter scarring. Retin-A may be great, but for me, someone who had skin that was prone to becoming irritated and breaking out, it only made things worse.